Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I actually came to this same conclusion for even older cameras. The K10D is still good enough for most of what I shoot and I'll keep using it until I won't be able to anymore. I argue that getting a higher end body is more important than getting a higher end lens. But I argue this because I value the build (durability and handling), controls (ease of use), and extra features (flexibility, not because of sensor performance.
Ah. See, if that was the driving factor for me, I'd stick with the K20D, because I like the ergonomics better (it fits my hand better). The menu system on the K-5 is improved, but that's firmware. But I like the images from teh K-5 ever so much better, and isn't that what photography is about? The image?

05-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
But I like the images from teh K-5 ever so much better, and isn't that what photography is about? The image?
Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the images I take with different cameras. Using different lenses, however, will make images look different.

Strictly from an image point of view, a lens will make more difference. But a body you enjoy using will make it more likely you'll take more images, so while it may impact less the quality of the image, it will at least ensure you took one.
05-11-2011, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the images I take with different cameras. Using different lenses, however, will make images look different.

Strictly from an image point of view, a lens will make more difference. But a body you enjoy using will make it more likely you'll take more images, so while it may impact less the quality of the image, it will at least ensure you took one.
I actually like the way the K20D handles better; if the K-5 sensor was in the K20D, I'd be just as bullish on it.

I'm not sure what you mean by being unable to tell the difference. By "liking the images" I mean I can go from pushing the button to the image I envisioned much easier with the K-5. The final image may be indiscernible, but the work involved is a lot different. For many scenes with my K20D I shoot two images bracketed by ~three stops and fill in shadows from the second image. I can match that with the K-5 with a single exposure. I can crop a little more and keep 300dpi for an 8x10. The image is much more amenable to 'tuning and tweaking' than the K20D's product.

But yes, the final image is the product of my vision, and very similar. But the same is true, on the whole, of lenses. I mean, I know if I've got a picture of a bug, it was probably taken with my 100mm f2.8 macro, and a pick-up shot was probably taken with my FA35 f2, but aside from one or two lenses with giveaway characteristics, my vision has far more impact on the image than any given lens. Check out the "guess which lens" thread; there's a lot of deductive reasoning going on there, and not much "Oh, that's lens x". Lenses don't look as "different" as many would like to believe.
05-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure what you mean by being unable to tell the difference.
I just mean that if I look at my 800x600 shots posted online a year later, I'll have to check the EXIF to figure out the camera I used.

I do appreciate the difference in resolution and all the other differences in features, but I'm talking about figuring out which camera took some shot a long time after I took it.

Lenses don't look as "different" as many would like to believe.
I agree, but I still can tell the difference between lenses more reliably than the difference between cameras. More is the keyword here - I know if I would shoot the same scene with various lenses I would have trouble distinguishing them, but I forget the camera I used before I forget the lens I used.

05-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #50

The OP makes the point that he can now see the limitations of the DA 18 - 55mm lens - of course, he should! The lens was designed when the best Pentax camera was 10mp - cameras now exceed the quality of basic lenses by a long shot - so, anybody buying something like a K5 needs to put some substantial money into good lenses as well, otherwise the potential of the camera is being wasted.
05-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
First of all, welcome to the Forums Henrik! Hopefully your subsequent posts will be met with a bit more ...er...understanding!
Secondly, congratulations on your new K-5, I'm glad you like your new camera, and (more importlantly) are excited about taking pictures with it. And I completely agree with you on your purchase philosophy. Well done!!!

NaCl(but watch out for LBA!)H2O
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You stated my own sentiment very well. And I can tell you the K-5 have provided enough enthusiams to be WELL worth the extra bucks. I am joining a local photo club. In the last two weeks I have been up before sunset THREE times to take picutres. I for the first time in 15 years have had large prints made. I am looking into DAM. AND (unfortunately) I have already gotten LBA. Desperately trying to stick to the 16-45 and the 50mm D FA macro I alreadys spend money on...

And you are absolutely right - there is NO way I could ever justify spending all this money as an investment or in any other rational manner (LBA/CBA anyone?). The point of my orignal post was that I realized the eutopia of that notion. And it sure felt good not trying to rationalize spending that extra $500 on the K-5.

At 1200+ clicks and still going!

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
The OP makes the point that he can now see the limitations of the DA 18 - 55mm lens - of course, he should! The lens was designed when the best Pentax camera was 10mp - cameras now exceed the quality of basic lenses by a long shot - so, anybody buying something like a K5 needs to put some substantial money into good lenses as well, otherwise the potential of the camera is being wasted.
To be honest - I never looked closely, as I did not really care (then). I did have a 50mm SMC-A I could have compared with, but the few shots I took never seemed to be in focus, so it never got used. The K-x was FAR better than my Canon S2IS, so it is all relative. I thought about comparing the K-x to the K-5, but figured it pointless: I bought the K-5 for the reasons originally listed (better controls, more quality, better view finder, and because I plain wanted it) Potential better IQ is a bonus.

You are SO right. I just saw a presentation by a photo journalist, and realized many of the most impactful pictures he took were NOT technically perfect - they just captured a moment. Made me realize that using that compact 18-55 WR lens may not be such a bad thing after all... even if those limited lenses sure look nice...