Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by demuire Quote
Question: What are the advantages of shooting in RAW+?
None. You only do more processing with RAW+. It might be useful if you're away and have no access to the Pentax software - then it helps you show your shots on a computer that doesn't have it.

Like others have mentioned already, RAW+ writes both a DNG and a JPG file. The processing needed to create the JPG file is overload compared to the RAW mode. It will impact battery life and it will impact burst rate performance.

I just did a couple of quick tests on my K-7 to see the impact on burst performance. I kept shooting until the internal buffer got filled and then I counted how many seconds it took to flush it to the card. Results:

RAW+: 8-9 shots, 15-17 seconds
RAW: 14-15 shots, 12-14 seconds

I use RAW, I delete bad shots in camera, then I just transfer and convert to JPG the good shots. If you're ever on vacation and people want to see your shots, it might be worth switching to RAW+. But if you don't have a good reason to use it, avoid it. Just remember it exists if you ever can find a use for it.

05-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget, even if you're on vacation your K-7 is still in work mode and can "develop" your RAW file for you!
05-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Don't forget, even if you're on vacation your K-7 is still in work mode and can "develop" your RAW file for you!
Yes, but I don't think you can do bulk processing of RAW files in camera - can you?
09-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quick question, just to bring up an older thread, rather than start a new one. The 2 biggest downsides to RAW vs jpeg for me are:

1: It takes 3 to 4x as long to preview the photos for editing. When you open a photo in jpeg, it shows up almost instantly, when I open a preview in RAW, it takes 4 or 5 seconds, which becomes very exhausting when viewing 2 or 300 photos.

2: The RAW files dont seem to work when loaded into CS4. When attempting to run "actions" in batch mode, you cant seem to run actions in the RAW format? What I mean is, If I set up an action to apply say a crop to a bunch of photos, then I run the batch, if they are DNG, as soon as it opens, I have to manually adjust the RAW software, hit open, then it runs the process in CS4, then the next photo does the same. Is there no way for "actions" to work in the CS4 Raw software?

I do shoot raw, but sometimes it seems more exhausting then just dealing with the jpegs. Im sure its something I am doing wrong.

09-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

A couple of things to add...

1. If you want to shoot jpg's only, you can always generate a RAW file by pressing the RAW button. Of course it only works for the last shot that you took. So, if you think that you have just taken the best shot of a series, you can save space on your memory card by just converting that one image to a RAW file.

2. Class 10 cards (or there is a faster type of card with an acronym that I can't recall at the moment) helps a lot with write speed. For me it was a no-brainer to get 32mb Class 10 cards.

I shoot RAW+. I like the convenience of using a jpg viewer to check for composition, etc. before delving into PP on a RAW file. Also, the jpg's are so small (at least in comparison to the RAW files) that with a big card space isn't much of an issue. File management is a bit of a headache though. Also, I don't understand why I can't clear the card from the computer. If I delete images from the card on the computer, I get a message on the camera that the image can't be viewed. But I would think that the image would have been deleted entirely. That is a bit of a pain.
09-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #21
Inactive Account

In ACR, select all, then everything you do to one, will be done to the rest. If you have Bridge, you can also copy all of your develop settings from one photo to all of your other photos.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1260216

Attached Images

09-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot RAW+ most of the time. For many shots the Jpeg is fine (snapshots, web use), but for those where I need to seriously adjust things I have the RAW. It's just hard drive space, of which I have plenty and can get more if needed. There is a difference between the in-camera JPEG and a RAW converted to JPEG with a good program.

08-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #23

Today first time I tried RAW+ mode and I got two files for each shot. One JPEG and one RAW (PEF) as expected. However, all JPEGs are underexposed by almost 1 to 2 stops. What am I missing here?

p.s: I know this is old thread but relevant to post to get right answer. :-)
08-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I find RAW+ beneficial and shoot it most of the time. Almost all images I intend to post or print will come from RAW. The advantage to adding the JPEG is it allows me to keep a record of rejects so RAWs can be discarded to save some space. This is especially helpful when encountering a difficult shooting situation, knowing I won't process the vast majority of shots, yet wanting to keep a record of what could be done better. Also, if I do extensive reworking of a RAW, it is good to have a record of the image as originally exposed.
08-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
Today first time I tried RAW+ mode and I got two files for each shot. One JPEG and one RAW (PEF) as expected. However, all JPEGs are underexposed by almost 1 to 2 stops. What am I missing here?

I'd look at your in-camera processing settings. Maybe you're dialing in some compensation?
08-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #26
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

You mean the jpeg is underexposed but not the pef file? Strange. Do you shoot with highlight protection or something?
08-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
The 2 biggest downsides to RAW vs jpeg for me are:

1: It takes 3 to 4x as long to preview the photos for editing. When you open a photo in jpeg, it shows up almost instantly, when I open a preview in RAW, it takes 4 or 5 seconds, which becomes very exhausting when viewing 2 or 300 photos.
Just to help out...it's essentially instantaneous in Faststone, which I use expressly for that purpose. PDCU takes forever, however.
08-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #28
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

...and it would really be better to start a new thread rather than reviving this old one. Most people will respond to older posts rather than yours here
08-20-2014, 12:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Just to help out...it's essentially instantaneous in Faststone, which I use expressly for that purpose. PDCU takes forever, however.
Faststone will show the embedded JPEG unless you change the default settings (Settings -> RAW) or hit the A key when the image is displayed.
08-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Can't see a use for RAW+. It takes perhaps a minute to "extract" the embedded jpgs from an entire card using the Pentax software for quick comparison purposes in a jpg editor. Actual batch conversion may take several minutes. Certainly it can be done while you're making a cup of coffee.

Any image will benefit from some PP even if it is only leveling the horizon (if you have misaligned finders like me) or minor cropping. Any extra work, such as exposure or contrast is normally a small percentage of the total time involved, especially if you consider naming the file, moving it, archiving, etc. Why skimp on a few seconds?
I can, I set the jpeg to have some basic 'glamour' settings and can show the model an image in camera that has a bit of pop to it, rather than the bland raw. It does save a bit of time to give her some prelim images, if you pick the right size and quality they are low res and easy to e-mail etc.