Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

When and how to use SR and how effective?

Being new to the K10d - I wanted to find out more about SR. When and how to use SR basically? How effective is SR?

Also for K10d owners - if you move your camera side to side does something move inside your K10d? I noticed this even when the camera is powered off. I imagine its that whole floating mechanism for SR moving around but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

11-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You shouldn't use SR on a tripod or when panning at slow shutter speeds. The K100D turns it off if you use any self-timer function or the remote release, and I'm guessubg the K10D is the same. Check the manual.

It's hard to put an exact number on the difference in f-stop you can use with SR as there are so many variables. I've gotten good shots at around 1/4 sec with wide to normal lenses. I try to be at 1/250 or faster at the long end of a 70-300, though.
11-02-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Takman Quote
Being new to the K10d - I wanted to find out more about SR. When and how to use SR basically? How effective is SR?

Also for K10d owners - if you move your camera side to side does something move inside your K10d? I noticed this even when the camera is powered off. I imagine its that whole floating mechanism for SR moving around but I could be wrong.

Thanks.
As for the moement in camera. That's the SR itself. When camera is OFF the sensor with it's base is loose inside so when you lean your camera sideways you feal and hear it moving. No worries about it, it's OK. When you power it ON (with SR ON) the magnetic force starts working and that's how it all works, (with SR OFF) it'll lock in firmly so you can't hear or feel it anymore...
As for using it: apparently most effective way is to press shutter half way (that'll activate SR) wait for 1/2 - 1 sec (that enables gyroscopes to detect camera / your shake) and shoot...
How effective it is?!? it depends on all circumstances, I can say it never let me down, if I don't expect miracles, and I have quite shaky hands.... genral claim though is 2-3 stops
11-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
... The K100D turns it off if you use any self-timer function or the remote release....
Didn't know that...
But then I can't honestly say I really paid attention to manual... I guess I used man-like approach - try to work it, if it doesn't read manual

11-02-2007, 01:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

135mm lens, handheld
1/6 second exposure:

WITHOUT SR

WITH SR

Using the "shutter speed at or faster than focal length" rule of thumb:

1/125 (closest to rule of thumb)
1/60 = 1 stop
1/30 = 2 stops
1/15 = 3 stops
1/6 = 4 stops

So I got about 4 stops extra leeway from SR on that impromptu test. You can always count on two stops, I should think.
11-02-2007, 02:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I find the SR very effective - personally I leave it on pretty much all the time & don't give it much thought (unless using a tripod)

simon
11-02-2007, 04:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

One thing I've noticed is that there is a slight delay (maybe 1/2 sec) after you half-press the shutter release before SR engages, so if you are just quickly snapping away it may not engage before you take the shot. You can tell by the indicator icon in the viewfinder. Just something to keep in mind.
11-02-2007, 04:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Takman Quote
See a good and systematic test here as a reference:-

Digital SLR and Lens Review: Testing K10D and K100D Shake Reduction

11-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

if you want to get a good idea of shake reduction, what it can do, and what still remains, take a look at the following thread, and the two photo's I posted.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/13308-do-you-a...tly-blurr.html

First is with *istD and 500mm lens plus flash.

Second is K10D with shake reduction and a 300mm lens,

The flash burst is extremely short (probably 20-30 microseconds, or an equivalent of 1/50000 of a sceond shutter speed)

The flash image is totally forzen, and very sharp. The image iwth shake reduction is not too bad, but...

Also note that the image with shake reduction has a second problem. I use a 1.4x TC with the 70-200mm lens used in this image. Pentax does not compensate for the change in focal length due to the TC when it reads focal length from the lens, as a result SR is set to the wrong focal length.
11-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
if you want to get a good idea of shake reduction, what it can do, and what still remains, take a look at the following thread, and the two photo's I posted.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/13308-do-you-a...tly-blurr.html

First is with *istD and 500mm lens plus flash.

Second is K10D with shake reduction and a 300mm lens,

The flash burst is extremely short (probably 20-30 microseconds, or an equivalent of 1/50000 of a sceond shutter speed)

The flash image is totally forzen, and very sharp. The image iwth shake reduction is not too bad, but...
That's what I have said in my old K100D review (the SR section) that proper shooting techniques are always preferred over using SR! (Direct link: RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Full Review )

QuoteQuote:
Also note that the image with shake reduction has a second problem. I use a 1.4x TC with the 70-200mm lens used in this image. Pentax does not compensate for the change in focal length due to the TC when it reads focal length from the lens, as a result SR is set to the wrong focal length.
The source of this problem is just that there is no original Pentax AF tele-convertor ever made and available. Otherwise, the focal length lens data should have been able to be converted all together instead of a lens data "loopthrough".
11-02-2007, 06:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
The source of this problem is just that there is no original Pentax AF tele-convertor ever made and available. Otherwise, the focal length lens data should have been able to be converted all together instead of a lens data "loopthrough".
I am using sigma lens and TC for the shot posted. Same problem exists however if I use my Pentax AF TC and pentax lenses.

Pentax has been requested to provide either boot up option for TC like it does for manual lens focal lenght, ot special function. So far, nothing.
11-02-2007, 07:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am using sigma lens and TC for the shot posted. Same problem exists however if I use my Pentax AF TC and pentax lenses.

Pentax has been requested to provide either boot up option for TC like it does for manual lens focal lenght, ot special function. So far, nothing.
Pentax has never made any true "AF Teleconvertor". They had only a Tele AF Convertor 1.7X, which was designed to convert MF lenses with AF function, by focusing inside the convertor with limited AF capability.

The only available AF Teleconvertors in the market for Pentax mount are made by Kenko and Sigma only and you can find Tamron re-badged Kenko once a while (which I have one). The Kenko AF TC do not convert anything, neither the f-number nor the focal whilst the Sigmas convert the aperture (but not focal neither). Both will work correctly for exposure and metering though as the set and maximum aperture info and light metering values are cancelled out (and yet the correct exposure value is obtained again). But as you said, since the focal data is not multiplied, the SR will not function correctly (but partially from my experience).