Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2007, 05:49 AM   #1

Does the K10D and K100D Super fix the tungsten colour cast?

I have a K100D, which I love for its size, SR and pancake lenses. Infact I sold a 5D and 4 x L lenses and went back to film for hirez and the K100D for digital shots.

The only thing that bothers me with the K100D is the bad orange cast on tungsten WB. Even a manual WB doesn't get rid of it completely and it screws up skin tones. I don't expect (or want) white walls in tungsten light, its just the shade of orange on the K100D is unatural and doesn't look like the scene.

Has this been fixed on the K10D?
Is the K10D still a small camera?

Daniel.

11-02-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think WB in general is always a problem, why dont you get some kind of WB tool like a WhiBal or ExpoDisc, ExpoAmigo, LensCap filter, coffe filter etcetc.
11-02-2007, 06:38 AM   #3

You're sure that you are not mixing colour temps?
11-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snaggs Quote
I have a K100D, which I love for its size, SR and pancake lenses. Infact I sold a 5D and 4 x L lenses and went back to film for hirez and the K100D for digital shots.

The only thing that bothers me with the K100D is the bad orange cast on tungsten WB. Even a manual WB doesn't get rid of it completely and it screws up skin tones. I don't expect (or want) white walls in tungsten light, its just the shade of orange on the K100D is unatural and doesn't look like the scene.

Daniel.
One thing the K10D does, that no other pentax camera does, is give you interactive white balance with an image.

If you take a shot, hit the FN button, and select white balance. You will see the image you just shot in preview mode, and as you change the white balance you see the image change to match the settings.

Auto white balance is ok some times, and presets are also ok some times but there are just times when you need to take over and set things yourself, properly.

The K10D is the only camera I know of that lets you do this.

11-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ya, I haven't been happy with the K10D's built-in tungsten WB pre-set or auto WB when used inside. As mentioned tho, level of configuration of the WB and color tweek adjustability is outstanding. Better yet tho, shoot RAW and use Lightroom's "tungsten" WB setting. Perfect! If you don't know what we're saying in that regard, load this review [ DCRP Review: Pentax K10D ]and scroll about 1/3rd of the way down to see an example of 'tweeking' the WB.
11-03-2007, 05:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The k100d's auto white balance has a range of 4000 to 8000K. Tungsten light is around 2800 to 3000K. Therefore, you cannot use awb in tungsten lighting. If the tungsten setting is giving bad results, use custom white balance. If that's not working, maybe your camera is defective.

If the color balance is just a little bit off, it can always be tweaked in post processing.

If all else fails, convert to black & white.
11-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
kay

QuoteOriginally posted by snaggs Quote

I find the K10D largely the same, and agree on the particularly nasty shade of orange which tungsten light sources cause. Custom WB is the only way around it. I shoot raw so it doesn't bother me much but sometimes I can't even get it right on the PC - a grey card would almost certainly fix that problem though.

Size-wise, the K10D is significantly larger but not that much heavier than a K100D. I find the bigger size actually helps handling, and the dual wheels are great.
11-03-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

RAW and Silkypix plus Silkypix's own Auto WB is an easy way to very good WB in tungsten or warm lighting, it even works pretty well on jpgs. The free version is good enough to do this job.

11-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #9

The SilkyPix solution has worked for me.. The skin tone based white balance is teh most amazing thing I have ever seen.

Mike
11-05-2007, 01:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kay Quote
I find the K10D largely the same, and agree on the particularly nasty shade of orange which tungsten light sources cause. Custom WB is the only way around it. I shoot raw so it doesn't bother me much but sometimes I can't even get it right on the PC - a grey card would almost certainly fix that problem though.

Size-wise, the K10D is significantly larger but not that much heavier than a K100D. I find the bigger size actually helps handling, and the dual wheels are great.
Thanks guys. The small size of the K100 is the key. I got it for my wife after she just wasn't happy with the quality from happy snaps compared to her old film SLR. With the DA40 it can still fit in a hand bag!

Daniel.
11-05-2007, 02:51 AM   #11
kay

Then I would suggest either leave it shooting in raw permanently, or just remember to set the WB - it's not that much of a mission