Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dust Reduction Recommendation

I see that one can set through the menu the dust reduction vibration to be activated when the camera is switched on. So I take it that by default it is "off" and one must set it. Or is the default that it turns on when we switch the camera off? I'm confused about this so could someone enlighten me? And is setting the dust reduction to be activate when the camera is switched on... overkill... since I tend to switch the camera on and off frequently during a day of shooting? Thanks again.

11-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
I see that one can set through the menu the dust reduction vibration to be activated when the camera is switched on. So I take it that by default it is "off" and one must set it. Or is the default that it turns on when we switch the camera off? I'm confused about this so could someone enlighten me? And is setting the dust reduction to be activate when the camera is switched on... overkill... since I tend to switch the camera on and off frequently during a day of shooting? Thanks again.
The default is "off". I have never felt the need to initialize it to "on". When it is "on", it will 'dust bust' at power-on. That is when it would do the most good, not when the camera is deactivated.

I have noticed that I get a lot less dust with the K10D than my older Ds bodies. Maybe it is due to that new CCD coating they put over the sensor? With the DS, I'd have to de-dust about every few weeks; in the year I've had the K10D, I've only needed to run the dust-buster about three times total. Only when I notice specs on my images.

Since dust doesn't seem to be as big of a problem, after considering turning the dust-buster to "on" at startup, I elected to just leave it "off", and save the battery power for picture taking.
11-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer, Steven. My problem with it (I'm anal... what can I say) is that dust-busting was one of the big selling features... that and image stablization. I've seen cameras where dust was an issue and given the fact that we opted initially for the kit lens which is not weather-proof, I want to use this feature. I'm not really overly concerned about wasting the battery since I've an extra that I carry with me.

Any other opinions on this feature and when to activate it? Any who simply keep it in the "on" position all the time?
11-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a pretty active thread on this a few months ago. I noticed a general pattern that if the DR system didn't shake on camera start, the sensor got progressively worse. Depends of course how often you change lenses and under what conditions. I started with it shaking, then turned it off after a few days. Mine got pretty bad over the course of a few weeks, but not horrible. I still have a few spots that won't clear. However many people who always had DR fire from the beginning state they never had any dust spots form on the sensor.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/9977-dust-removal-working-you.html

Last edited by m8o; 11-03-2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: corrected mistype of a 'b' for a 'v'
11-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's pretty much what I suspected would happen. Fortunately I've only had mine for a couple of weeks and have only the kit lens (but I'm soon to acquire a second lens). It seems prudent to active it from this point forward. After all... it's a feature (and a great one) so why not employ it to its fullest?
11-02-2007, 11:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have my set to turn on every time I power up the camera..Have had it this way for about a year on my K10D and the past month on my K100D super..
No dust what so ever and I am always changing lenses..
11-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry I can't really help you, since I only have a K100D.

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
I tend to switch the camera on and off frequently during a day of shooting?
I was just wondering why you bother turning your camera on and off during a day of shooting.
I believe that you can program it to turn it's self off after 1 or 3 min, which is what I use on my camera.
Just depress the shutter button like your focusing and it turns back on with the same settings you had before it shut it's self off.

11-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

auto -shot off

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Sorry I can't really help you, since I only have a K100D.
I was just wondering why you bother turning your camera on and off during a day of shooting.
I believe that you can program it to turn it's self off after 1 or 3 min, which is what I use on my camera.
Just depress the shutter button like your focusing and it turns back on with the same settings you had before it shut it's self off.
This is true Stu, and what I have used and what has also been my saving grace (when I forget to turn off my camera)...

The K100D Super has a built in auto-shut off. I think you can change the time it takes in the menu but all you have to do , like Stu said, is depress the shutter half way and it will come back on..
11-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was thinking...The first PENTAX i bought was and is a Pentax K110D..No image stabilization and no DR system..An while dust has been a problem with it, only because it is my most used camera as it is the one that goes with me everywhere because of weight, size and frankly it takes some great pictures...Anyway, I have learned to do my own cmos cleaning and I clean my sensor regularly with no issues or problems...So while the DR systems are nice. they are not really a necessity...In other words, I would not upgrade from a K100D to a super for the DR system..My two cents worth.
11-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I misspoke myself when I said that I turned the camera on and off a lot during a day's shooting. Of course I simply leave it in the "On" position and have it set to turn off automatically in three minutes if there is no action.
11-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the dust busting should happen when you switch the camera OFF, not on. That's when it's going to have the dust on it, AFTER you've used it. It also speeds up tuen on time if you want a quick shot. I believe some other makes have it when turning off.
11-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can it be programmed to do it when I turn it off?