Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 528
Why the green button in manual mode?

.. on my K-X in manual mode, the "+/-" button always does stop down metering function. Why assign this to the green button? I can assign depth of field preview to the green button and have both!

05-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,837
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
.. on my K-X in manual mode, the "+/-" button always does stop down metering function. Why assign this to the green button? I can assign depth of field preview to the green button and have both!
With an A series lens, set to A, the +- button switches between shutter speed and aperture while in M mode. So if you want to set the exposure using the P Shift you have to use the Green Button. Optical Preview doesn't automatically set the exposure.
05-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 528
Original Poster
When using a M or K lens on manual mode on a K-X , and using green button, you have to assign the green button TV Shift.. That is it adjusts the shutter speed based on the stop down metering. But if you press the +/- button it does TV Shift Stop Down metering already.. .dont' see the point of assigning the same exact thing to the green button. This can free up the green button for depth of field preview--a feature I like in old film SLR's as well.
05-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,837
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
When using a M or K lens on manual mode on a K-X , and using green button, you have to assign the green button TV Shift.. That is it adjusts the shutter speed based on the stop down metering. But if you press the +/- button it does TV Shift Stop Down metering already.. .dont' see the point of assigning the same exact thing to the green button. This can free up the green button for depth of field preview--a feature I like in old film SLR's as well.
The green button defaults to P LINE because Pentax expects you to be using at least an A lens. It's hard to even find information about using M or K lenses in the manual. This is why Using Aperture Ring is set to Not permitted by default.

05-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 528
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The green button defaults to P LINE because Pentax expects you to be using at least an A lens. It's hard to even find information about using M or K lenses in the manual. This is why Using Aperture Ring is set to Not permitted by default.
Yeah I know it defaults to P LINE and according to pentax support online they instruct you to change it to TV Shift for pentax-m and k lenses. Here is the link to the article:

Using Older Lenses with the PENTAX K-x | Pentax Support

In manual mode with this pentax-m (or k) lens in the camera, the +/- button behaves the same as the green button assigned to TV shift.. so I don't see the point of assignig the green button to tv shift when you could free it up for DOF preview, etc..
05-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,837
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Yeah I know it defaults to P LINE and according to pentax support online they instruct you to change it to TV Shift for pentax-m and k lenses. Here is the link to the article:

Using Older Lenses with the PENTAX K-x | Pentax Support

In manual mode with this pentax-m (or k) lens in the camera, the +/- button behaves the same as the green button assigned to TV shift.. so I don't see the point of assignig the green button to tv shift when you could free it up for DOF preview, etc..
Who does? I use it for Optical Preview or Custom Image (if I'm shooting JPEG and using an M42 lens). But if you're using an A series lens in M mode you have to use the Green button to set exposure.

The +- button functionality is a holdover from the K2000/K-m which didn't have a green button.

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-05-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
button, camera, dslr, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kx EV +/- button in Manual Mode Rory Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 09-02-2010 09:25 PM
green button and P mode on k-x slow2focus Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 12-27-2009 09:11 PM
Help finding thread about Green Mode/button T_MB Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 08-31-2009 07:24 PM
[K10D] {Manual Mode} Green Button with flash AVANT Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 07-13-2007 12:34 PM
K/M Lenses, Manual Mode and the Green Button Sailor Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 02-15-2007 10:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top