Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why the green button in manual mode?

.. on my K-X in manual mode, the "+/-" button always does stop down metering function. Why assign this to the green button? I can assign depth of field preview to the green button and have both!

05-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
.. on my K-X in manual mode, the "+/-" button always does stop down metering function. Why assign this to the green button? I can assign depth of field preview to the green button and have both!
With an A series lens, set to A, the +- button switches between shutter speed and aperture while in M mode. So if you want to set the exposure using the P Shift you have to use the Green Button. Optical Preview doesn't automatically set the exposure.
05-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When using a M or K lens on manual mode on a K-X , and using green button, you have to assign the green button TV Shift.. That is it adjusts the shutter speed based on the stop down metering. But if you press the +/- button it does TV Shift Stop Down metering already.. .dont' see the point of assigning the same exact thing to the green button. This can free up the green button for depth of field preview--a feature I like in old film SLR's as well.
05-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter

When using a M or K lens on manual mode on a K-X , and using green button, you have to assign the green button TV Shift.. That is it adjusts the shutter speed based on the stop down metering. But if you press the +/- button it does TV Shift Stop Down metering already.. .dont' see the point of assigning the same exact thing to the green button. This can free up the green button for depth of field preview--a feature I like in old film SLR's as well.
The green button defaults to P LINE because Pentax expects you to be using at least an A lens. It's hard to even find information about using M or K lenses in the manual. This is why Using Aperture Ring is set to Not permitted by default.

05-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The green button defaults to P LINE because Pentax expects you to be using at least an A lens. It's hard to even find information about using M or K lenses in the manual. This is why Using Aperture Ring is set to Not permitted by default.
Yeah I know it defaults to P LINE and according to pentax support online they instruct you to change it to TV Shift for pentax-m and k lenses. Here is the link to the article:

Using Older Lenses with the PENTAX K-x | Pentax Support

In manual mode with this pentax-m (or k) lens in the camera, the +/- button behaves the same as the green button assigned to TV shift.. so I don't see the point of assignig the green button to tv shift when you could free it up for DOF preview, etc..
05-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Yeah I know it defaults to P LINE and according to pentax support online they instruct you to change it to TV Shift for pentax-m and k lenses. Here is the link to the article:

Using Older Lenses with the PENTAX K-x | Pentax Support

In manual mode with this pentax-m (or k) lens in the camera, the +/- button behaves the same as the green button assigned to TV shift.. so I don't see the point of assignig the green button to tv shift when you could free it up for DOF preview, etc..
Who does? I use it for Optical Preview or Custom Image (if I'm shooting JPEG and using an M42 lens). But if you're using an A series lens in M mode you have to use the Green button to set exposure.

The +- button functionality is a holdover from the K2000/K-m which didn't have a green button.

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-05-2011 at 12:08 PM.