Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-X Image Quality is INSANELY good!

Did a little research and found out that you have to spend $2499 on a canon DSLR to get better image quality, and color depth than the K-X... yet the K-X will still have better dynamic range.

The $1699 Canon EOS 7D has lesser image quality, color depth and dynamic range than the Pentax K-X kit I bought for $439!

The $2499 Canon EOS 5D mark II has better image quality and color depth (but not but leaps and bounds) yet it has .6 f stops less dynamic range!

Of course I am only comparing those three things--image quality, color depth and dynamic range; I realize the K-X is lacking in a lot of areas the High End Canons aren't But image quality, color depth and dynamic range are the most important to me--an amateur photographer that doesn't shoot sports, doesn't need weather sealing and doesn't need all the other fancy stuff.

I'm really happy with my K-X! It demolishes the entry level Canons (for my needs).

05-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know, it's not the camera, it's the photographer... But because I'm not a good photographer and I don't have a lot of money, I prefer to shoot a K-x!
05-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Why I love and use my k-x

So far, I've had a hard time figuring out whether it's a bad thing to leave Highlight Correction on all the time on my k-x; I'm happy usually for quality (noise, focus) with level correcting the jpegs coming out of the camera. I love being able to get a photo of the sky and as well as see the landscape clearly without having to bracket or use HDR. Also, I think the stormtrooper white looks pretty cool.
05-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
...the stormtrooper white looks pretty cool.
Now, that's a color!

Other than that, happy times with your new Pentax

05-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Forum Member

Yeah - the K-x is a great camera for the price...too bad its discontinued....
Check out the "Show us your best K-xshots" thread.
05-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #6

This thread is making me want a kx... For some rerason I prefer nimh to li-ion.
05-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The K-X is very nice, its a no brain'r choice (well, for me) to choose a K-X over an EOS 7D (maybe its just me as I do have a Pentax fetish...).

05-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cullivan Quote
This thread is making me want a kx... For some rerason I prefer nimh to li-ion.
Get Eneloops.
05-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
You know, it's not the camera, it's the photographer...
Oh yeah! Don't rely on figures, rely on pictures.
05-05-2011, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #10
Inactive Account

I had the opportunity to photograph with a few cameras from various manufacturers before I plunked down for my first dslr, a Pentax K-x. The camera I had shot with previous to the K-x was a Canon 50D.

The difference in dynamic range and color rendering between the 50D and the K-x was startling. The Canon wasn't even close unless I had it in controlled lighting or the best of outdoor conditions. I got some incredible results out of the 50D, but there was a lot of time and frustration spent in PP to get those results. With the K-x PP is very minimal at least 95% of the time. The 50D did have fantastic resolution; it was just an arduous, and sometimes impossible, task to get that out of the files.

The K-x really is an amazing camera. The only thing I feel it gives up to some of it's more expensive siblings and higher tiered cameras from other manufacturers is dedicated controls.

Last edited by NbyNW; 05-05-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Clarity
05-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #11

Any link to support OP's statement? I find it hard to believe. What about the lens they use? Can you compare apple to orange?
05-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I approve of this thread.

As well as the various photo threads on this forum that feature the K-x, I keep a regular eye on the flickr K-x page:
Flickr: Camera Finder: Pentax: K-x

and there are some awesome photos showing up there that would put many pro camera users to shame.

A recent flickr favorite of mine that illustrates this point is this Italian lady photog who shoots the K-x with a collection of old K and M primes, and has been producing some very high quality shots recently using the K-x of birds, landscapes etc.
Flickr: ram35783's Photostream
05-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I approve of this thread.

As well as the various photo threads on this forum that feature the K-x, I keep a regular eye on the flickr K-x page:
Flickr: Camera Finder: Pentax: K-x

and there are some awesome photos showing up there that would put many pro camera users to shame.

A recent flickr favorite of mine that illustrates this point is this Italian lady photog who shoots the K-x with a collection of old K and M primes, and has been producing some very high quality shots recently using the K-x of birds, landscapes etc.
Flickr: ram35783's Photostream
It shows the user is the key factor, not the camera. I am sure the Italian lady will get high quality photos using Canon 7D if she knows the camera.
05-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
Any link to support OP's statement? I find it hard to believe. What about the lens they use? Can you compare apple to orange?
You must be new here

The DR data is from DxOMark - Welcome to DxOMark

Resolution data comparing the 12MP K-x with the 18MP 7D (from photoreview.com.au) is also interesting...
05-05-2011, 07:02 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by metalmania Quote
There are any number of sites around that try to measure such things. Perhaps the best is DxOMark: DxOMark - Welcome to DxOMark.

Whether this site actually supports the statements made I cannot say, but if you were looking for numbers to either prove or disprove those kinds of assertions, that's where I'd look.

Personally, I tend to not be impressed by the differences between DSLR's. They are all more than good for most purposes. But then, I also don't care exactly how fast my car can accelerate from 0 to 60MPH, whether the ice cube maker in my freezer can make 8 or 10 cubes per hour, or whether my breakfast cereal has 30% of my recommendation daily intake of riboflavin or only 23%. Sometimes I can get still worked up about that kind of stuff, but not as much as I used to. And more likely about lenses than cameras.