Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Buying advice: Pentax K-x vs Pentax K-r

Hello everyone, love the forum.

Was looking for some advice on an upcoming purchase. I'm looking at picking up one of these two cameras, but I'm not sure which one to get. It really comes down to two questions.

1) The image quality seems superb for both cameras, but it seems that the K-x might have a small advantage in low light. Is this really the case? Or are they about the same in high ISO quality. The majority of my photos are taken without flash, and in poor light situations.

2) Just how bad is the K-r front focusing issue. I've seen photo samples, which were bad. But I've also seen so many great photos with the K-r, that I'm trying to gauge rather or not this issue is really a massive one or not.

Both cameras are going for almost the same price now, in kits with two lenses included on some websites. I'd like to get the newer K-r, especially because of it's improved screen, but I'm worried it might be a bad investment.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Scott

05-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cdracingzx6r Quote

Was looking for some advice on an upcoming purchase. I'm looking at picking up one of these two cameras, but I'm not sure which one to get. It really comes down to two questions.

1) The image quality seems superb for both cameras, but it seems that the K-x might have a small advantage in low light. Is this really the case? Or are they about the same in high ISO quality. The majority of my photos are taken without flash, and in poor light situations.

2) Just how bad is the K-r front focusing issue. I've seen photo samples, which were bad. But I've also seen so many great photos with the K-r, that I'm trying to gauge rather or not this issue is really a massive one or not.

Both cameras are going for almost the same price now, in kits with two lenses included on some websites. I'd like to get the newer K-r, especially because of it's improved screen, but I'm worried it might be a bad investment.

Thanks,
-Scott
For the same price, I would definitely get the newer Kr over the Kx. Kr will not be inferior to Kx in any way, including high-ISO. Much has been made about the Kx's high-ISO performance because it was so ground-breaking at the time of its introduction. Kr simply moves forward from there. If there is indeed a front-focus issue, it will be dealt with in time through firmware.

My impression is that the Kr actually has a little bit more refined overall IQ than the Kx, and the other extra features would make it a no-brainer for me.

Enjoy whatever you decide on.
05-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the K-r and love it. The K-x is also an amazing camera, based on all I've seen and read.

If the price is the same, I think the K-r has more features, so it really comes down to the FF issue. So, ask yourself - how often do I shoot in tungsten light? For me, the issue has been pretty non-existant because I do very little photographing under tungsten lighting. I also have been using a manual focus lens a lot, and it doesn't affect those at all. The workaround for the FF issue is to use Live View or switch to manual focusing. Seems to work well in my experience.

If you will be doing a lot of indoor photography with tungsten lighting, you may have trouble with the K-r. If not, go for it because it does have some slight improvements.
05-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #4

I'm not sure why its not mentioned more but the FF issue can be solved by setting the 'AF Fine Adjustment' to about -8 while indoors... at least worked for me.

Of course, it is a bit of a pain changing this setting if you are switching from outdoors to indoors a lot, but the setting just takes literally 5 seconds. I'm glad the option is there.

05-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I've had the K-x for over a year now and still amazed on its capabilities, particularly at high ISO. The K-r is an improved K-x. Bigger LCD, Viewfinder focus points, AF Assist just to name a few. I’ve read about the K-r’s ff issue but I’m guessing Pentax will correct this and other bugs through firmware upgrade down the road. IMHO, a K-r isn’t really much of an upgrade over the K-x. For someone purchasing a dSLR and had the option to choose between these two, I would recommend getting the K-r. You won’t go wrong with either but for similar cost, as mentioned by DogLover, the K-r is a no brainer.

Good luck!
05-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

K-r win~

QuoteOriginally posted by cdracingzx6r Quote

Thanks,
-Scott
I have a K-x and I love it! Bad timing when I bought it though, for the K-r came up.... and a few months later, a huge price drop - if I waited a little longer I would definitely would snag the K-r. As for the issues, the Pentax team has been coming up with solutions through firmware upgrades (and the FF issues aren't as bad as the K-5 sensor stain issues...).

bigger, sharper, brighter LCD?
higher ISO?
faster burst speed?
optional two-way power (AA/Li-ion)?
IR image transfer?
AF assist lamp?
AF confirmation points in viewfinder?
faster AF?
interval shooting?
more digital filters?

these differences in features ... with only very little (sometimes no difference at all!) in price - why not get a K-r? ^__^
05-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When a great older camera is available for a good price, get it.
When a greater, newer camera is available at a similar price, get THAT!
I vote for the Kr.
05-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I picked the K-r and I'm very pleased with it. I rarely use AF-lenses, that's why I haven't encountered the FF so far.

05-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

k-x

AF in k-r is an issue under some lighting condition and Pentax has confirmed to some member here that it's an hardware issue and won't be fixed in firmware.
05-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #10

Both cameras have problems - FF with the K-R and a faulty battery meter and a double image problem at 1/60s with the K-X (or have folk forgotten about that)?

I'd take the lesser of the problems and get a K-R and apply the workaround suggested by Pentax if you take photos in tungsten light.
05-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
a faulty battery meter and a double image problem at 1/60s with the K-X
Battery problems were fixed in firmware 1.01, never come across this double image problem you speak of.

My vote is for K-x
05-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Battery problems were fixed in firmware 1.01, never come across this double image problem you speak of.

My vote is for K-x
Exactly, I never came across any double image problem and I find k-x is pretty solid camera.
05-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #13

I am quite satisfied with the K-X for most of the reasons mentioned. I don't miss the AF points as much as I thought I would.
05-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

K-r has some nice to have features but the IQ is identical to the K-x. I use my K-x indoors a lot with fast primes and the focus is bang on time after time. If someone offered to swap me a brand new K-r for my old K-x I'd turn them down flat.
05-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

DXOmark rates the Kx higher than the Kr on low light iso, with other benchmarks being tied.