Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2007, 03:47 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks and...

[/QUOTE=PaulAndAPentax;114217]I am very happy with mine. As primarily a bird photographer, I agree that the tracking and AF is a bit slow. I'd also like a few more fps. Other than these couple of issues, my k10d is a wonderful camera. I pixel peeped a lot before I bought, and I am thus far satisfied with my choice. btw....lol101....those shots are exceptional.....well done![/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot Paul!

"Exceptional" might be a bit of a strong word (it's really a snapshot of my youngest son taken in my kitchen after a rowdy diner related here: Sometimes, it's better to have the image(s) but no sound...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review) but I can agree on the fact that the model is truly exceptional

Your shot on the other hand is nothing short of stunning

11-03-2007, 04:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Do you need publicity for your blog so bad that you must link to it every time? Not enough hits?

You should actually put some disclaimer somewhere on the front page that your blog does not reflect your own use of the cameras and lenses you mention but is just a collection of negative internet posts and your comments and guesses as to what are the problems with Pentax.
The opening post asked about the issues with the K10D, I answered in my post for his question for what the post opener wants to know. I reply on the topic 100% totally, but you want to change the topic to me personally. Please don't try to hijack this thread (again).

QuoteQuote:
Anyway, a blog on photography equipment without any actual pictures should look VERY suspicious to any curious onlooker.
Pointless. This DSLR *gear* forum also has little pictures here, so?
11-03-2007, 05:28 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote

Thanks a lot Paul!

"Exceptional" might be a bit of a strong word (it's really a snapshot of my youngest son taken in my kitchen after a rowdy diner related here: Sometimes, it's better to have the image(s) but no sound...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review) but I can agree on the fact that the model is truly exceptional

Your shot on the other hand is nothing short of stunning

Thanks! The 'rest of the story' looks great too! You have two fine looking young men there....and your younger son has quite a smile. Very well captured!
11-03-2007, 05:38 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Takman Quote
Paul - I am the person that contacted you via Flickr. I appreciate your reply to my PM on Flickr BTW. Your photos are amazing.

Just a thought that came to mind....perhaps to help you down the path...I am my own worst enemy when it comes to my photographs.

What I think looks great usually gets less than 50 views on flickr and a shot I think is average could get over 500 views....go figure... so perhaps others see things I don't and miss what I see. Why? Because I was there when the shutter released and they were not....

also, I tend to find the smallest 'issue' in my work that if in another I would overlook judging the 'whole picture'. I've looked at some beautiful shots that I ooh and aah over that really are no better or worse than mine...but 'because' they are not mine, I am less critical.

It could be that the way I approach photography is similar to you...

Something I did not mention in my email from flickr is that for a little while, I wondered if I should have bought a Canon instead....and now, as I mentioned, I'd consider Nikon first. So after some months, my perspective has changed yet again...

The other thing to think about when judging sharpness is that lenses DO matter. You are not going to get sharp shots with all lenses. The FA 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7 for that matter is going to yield better results than the kit lens at 50mm. This is also something to consider whether shooting in jpeg or RAW. I tend to be like most of the others here...I shoot in RAW (dng) unless I am just fooling around with snapshots.

Anyway, I feel for your quandary and hope you figure it all out!

Last edited by PaulAndAPentax; 11-03-2007 at 05:46 AM.
11-03-2007, 05:46 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
don't forget that Pentax has ADDRESSED the focus speed issue with the SDM series lenses which most folks don't have. Initially, I was sort of concerned that my 16-50 SDM was screwing up the focus more than it should, However I''ve turned a few knobs and now believe it is performing to expectations and clearly faster than the conventional (now obsolete) focus systems you are described as slow.
You're the first person that I'm aware of to report that. All reports I've read indicate that the AF is not any faster with the SDM lenses. Even Pentax representatives have said AF would not be faster with them.

And for an "obsolete" system, I find the screw-driven AF to work very well...
11-03-2007, 06:07 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
The opening post asked about the issues with the K10D, I answered in my post for his question for what the post opener wants to know. I reply on the topic 100% totally, but you want to change the topic to me personally. Please don't try to hijack this thread (again).

Pointless. This DSLR *gear* forum also has little pictures here, so?

OK, so you gave your opinion on a camera you do not possess, that's fine but, instead (or in addition) of linking to your site, you could at least add that disclaimer so that the OP knows that you only speak from earsay.

Talk about hijacking a thread (again)... maybe I learned that from you?

If you prefer your posts going unanswered, I understand but sorry, I use the camera, you don't so I have more than the right to intervene and call you out on your comments.

As to your last remarks, well, I was apparently right, what else is there to be said... except that you should scroll down a little on the title page of this "gear" forum and look at all the pointless pictures that are not supposed to be there...

I also noticed you "defended" yourself (poor little thing, always the target of the evil Pentax fanboys right?) but didn't comment on the main point of my post( which by the way was not you in case you hadn't noticed): what about the pictures that prove you wrong ?
11-03-2007, 06:25 AM   #37
wll
Veteran Member

RH Kicked out of Every Forum He Has Been In ---

That is why he had to start his own blog. The only place that has not given him the boot is PentaxForums. I wonder how much longer the powers that be will keep him on.

Why would a non Pentax owner, who now shoots Canon, keep bad mouthing Pentax year after year? I think he has issues !!!!!

wll
11-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We all know that C*non and N*kon seem to take the cake on other forums. Regarding the K10d, I have come across feeling that I made the wrong choice. Here is why: Edge softness, noise at higher ISO, slow focus, etc. - how much of this do you believe to be factual? The softness and sharpness issues concern me, noise at higher ISO I care less about right now, and slow focus - pixel sharpness, etc also concern me.
Since you asked, I can only see one reasonable reason to switch away from Pentax - if their system can not provide you the equipment you need. This means those rare cases where you absolutely need a macro ring light flash, or a 300mm f/2.8 lens, or a full-frame sensor, or a dedicated manual focus screen, or the ability to rent compatible equipment.

If you're complaining about JPEG softness, which has been beaten to death and buried for more than a year now, I don't see the above being issues. What I mean is that even though I use RAW exclusively, I've gotten some mind-blowing JPEG results as I would suspect all good, dedicated photographers would concur.

One thing that it also nicely blurring the distinction between systems is the advent of widely-available radio flash triggers. I would doubt there are many serious semi-pro photographers who do not have a set of Pocket Wizards (or similar) which means that you can use ANY brand flash successfully with ANY brand camera. Want to use the Nikon SB flashes? Go ahead! Vivtar 285s? Sure!

I've used Minoltas (extensively), Nikons (a good bit), and Canons (some) and truly none of them blow the others away as far as image quality. They render scenes differently, and handle colors differently, but it is subtle and takes a lot of shooting to even see it. The Pentax cameras (I own the *ist D, *ist DS, and K10D) are all fully capable and have pros and cons versus the competition. If you're hearing that Canon and Nikon are the only two choices then your hearing uninformed advice.

11-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #39
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Since you asked, I can only see one reasonable reason to switch away from Pentax - if their system can not provide you the equipment you need. This means those rare cases where you absolutely need ... a 300mm f/2.8 lens ...
hey now, that's no reason to switch! Mine might not be from Pentax, but I got one of those, from Sigma for the Pentax mount... And it's currently in production; used, you can find Pentax versions of that focal length and speed. sure, wish Pentax was producing it too, but you can get a great one from a 3rd party provider. And price is much better then the used FA* version in the same focal length.

And while there was some discussion about resolution and I decided not to post as the pics posted told the story very well already, I figure now what the heck, I have a story to tell too.... Here's Pentax k10D + a great lens's resolution at its best as an example of why the K10D rocks irrespective of any discussion to the contrary ... which I think have all went very well addressed too (as the OP has commented to as well ) :

Full frame down-sized to 800x800:

100% 800x800 crop:

(p.s. I was still learning good post-processing technique when I converted this from RAW. If I were to do it over with what I know now, I wouldn't sharpen it as much. I may do it over one day.)

That's the Landrover I was in, just slightly off center of the eye there to the left of the sun ... The lens does have some CA/purple fringing near wide open (f/3.5) in this extreme circumstance of a reflection directly back at the sun; the very situation you'd expect that to be produced. But it's not at all produced anywhere else; as you see there's none at the edge of the white hairs even where contrasted against black. If pixel peeping, I measured the size of that in pixels... you can make out the Landrover's silhouette and pop-up roof in just 12 pixels width!

So my main reason for sharing this is once I saw that, any question I had regarding whether the K10D and that lens combo were capable of world-class level shooting of wildlife I see here and in other places in comparison to the big two other camera manufacturers, the answer was a resounding yes and I never questioned it again.
11-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
hey now, that's no reason to switch! Mine might not be from Pentax, but I got one of those, from Sigma for the Pentax mount... And it's currently in production; used, you can find Pentax versions of that focal length and speed. sure, wish Pentax was producing it too, but you can get a great one from a 3rd party provider. And price is much better then the used FA* version in the same focal length.

And while there was some discussion about resolution and I decided not to post as the pics posted told the story very well already, I figure now what the heck, I have a story to tell too.... Here's Pentax k10D + a great lens's resolution at its best as an example of why the K10D rocks irrespective of any discussion to the contrary ... which I think have all went very well addressed too (as the OP has commented to as well ) :

So my main reason for sharing this is once I saw that, any question I had regarding whether the K10D and that lens combo were capable of world-class level shooting of wildlife I see here and in other places in comparison to the big two other camera manufacturers, the answer was a resounding yes and I never questioned it again.
Some amazing pics on your site!

(This one is also excellent).

This is what I'm talking about!

Contrary to what some apparently think, the best answers to such post are in the pictures.
11-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like Will, I am in the same situation, two full time jobs - IT and Photography - and trying to balance both until I am able to make the leap.

The K10 has some quirks and the more I shoot with it, the better I can manage. My Canon AE1-P had some quirks and I had to deal with them. My Sony F717 had some too... same issue. The good thing is my Pentax is easier to deal with. All its features allow me the opportunity to make better images, as long as I know how to use them.

Hence I shoot RAW and manually control everything, then spend time in Lightroom and Photoshop to get everything the way I think it should be.

I have issues focusing, but I blame myself. Auto-focusing works great sometimes, and sometimes it's downright horrible. User error? Perhaps... so there's always manual.

Otherwise, I can't complain. This camera is fun to use (period) and the image quality has been proven time and time again in these forums. Any doubt can be cleared up by looking at the user gallery. Thousands of images can't be wrong!

Last edited by George Lama; 11-03-2007 at 09:04 PM.
11-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
There's more to noise than the ISO setting. That is, it's not a simple matter of, ISO 1600 noisy, ISO 100 not noisy.

I'm not sure I can put into words easily what the other factors are, but I know I've taken photos with the K10D at 1600 that I was quite pleased with, even without noise reduction (which I generally don't bother with), while I've taken photos at 800 or even 400 where the noise was a serious problem. VPN in particular seems to require a block of the same color in the background. The quality of the light seems to be a factor, too.

Will

This is a place where I need to get better. My high ISO shots are almost always very noisy. These are equestrian events in an indoor arena using a K10D w/ my 50mm 1.4.
11-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
hey now, that's no reason to switch! Mine might not be from Pentax, but I got one of those, from Sigma for the Pentax mount... And it's currently in production; used, you can find Pentax versions of that focal length and speed.
Well, if you want to get into third-party lens support, Pentax has even less of an argument. I just threw the 300/2.8 out there (I have a Tamron myself) but I could have just as easily said '85mm lens' or '50mm f/1.2 lens' or how about '200mm Macro lens' or one of my faves '80-200/2.8 zoom lens'. How about '300/2.8 Branded Lens in stock' or '600/4 lens in stock'?

My point is that Pentax has shortcomings for people with very specific needs; likewise if you want a weather-sealed sub-$1,000 DSLR body there are really only two choices, Pentax is one.
11-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #44
Veteran Member

We all know that C*non and N*kon seem to take the cake on other forums. Regarding the K10d, I have come across feeling that I made the wrong choice. Here is why: Edge softness, noise at higher ISO, slow focus, etc. - how much of this do you believe to be factual? The softness and sharpness issues concern me, noise at higher ISO I care less about right now, and slow focus - pixel sharpness, etc also concern me.
Here's the Pentax gear I currently own and use, just to establish a "base" for my comments (I wouldn't want to get mixed up with someone else who continues to make technical comments and judgements about gear he has never used):

2 x K10D
1 x K100D
2 x *istDS
2 x MZ-S
1 x ZX-L

I recently sold my Pz-1, which was my first AF camera.

I have a fairly complete lens lineup, Pentax and other brands. I recently received the DA* 16-50 and 50-135 as well.

I shoot in RAW only, always have, and I really do not care at all what the in-camera jpegs look like, but I understand that others do care about this.

That being said, here is my summary of the state of Pentax DSLRs:

AF is slow in low light. The AF system has improved steadily since my PZ-1, and I think that the K10D AF is better than all previous Pentax cameras I have used to date (overall). If you shoot sports and depend upon AF, the Pentax AF-C is significantly behind the Canon/Nikon system. I have not done any measurebating to prove this as I would rather take pictures than measure 8 year old cameras, but I do believe that the MZ-S is faster at AF than the K10D. I cannot say if it is more or less accurate and it is certainly much louder than the K10D screw drive AF motor.

Metering is fine as far as I am concerned as it works just like meters have always worked. If you want a meter that is smarter and that handles the job in a more automatic way, the Nikon metering system is probably better in this regard.

Since I shoot RAW, I also do not care too much about AWB.

P-TTL is not as consistent as TTL was with my film bodies, and it causes many folks to blink right at the moment of exposure. I can work around this by using the red-eye pre-pre flash, but that has issues as well. I get better results with auto flashes, although I do miss the high speed sync of P-TTL. P-TTL flash is all but useless as far as I am concerned.

The image quality/noise of the 6.1mp Pentax bodies is excellent. The noise of the K10D is not out of line with the competition, but it is not the camera I pick up for low light shooting either. I really do not shoot the K10D above 400 ISO.

SR is good and works as advertised.

I have had AF issues and had to return one K10D body for back-focusing. I still have AF issues a bit more than I would like, mainly resulting in too many images that are just a bit too soft even though the camera indicated that focus was locked. I had far fewer soft images with my DS bodies using the same lenses. I guess you could say that I am somewhat dissatisfied with the sharpness of the images out of my K10D bodies compared to what I am used to from my other Pentax gear. I plan to spend more time working on this issue to try and see where the problem is as I do not get many images that I would consider as sharp as what I am seeing from others using the K10D. Perhaps I should send all of my lenses and both K10D bodies to Pentax for AF calibration.

If I had to pick one area that I feel needs signifcant improvement (I do not shoot sports or action often so AF-C is not so important to me) it would be the AF system overall performance, followed closely by P-TTL II to resolve the issues with the flash consistency.

Overall, I do not think you can buy a camera that gives you the features and performance of the Pentax gear for anywhere near the price, but that completely depends upon your needs and requirements.

Ray
11-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #45
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
...in stock'?
ah, but you want it in-stock, and not have to wait for special orders, or worse beg retailers or reps to make sure your get your hands on it... ok then, that's another story.