Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 04:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
What lenses for Hawaiian Trip?

I'm going to Hawaii in a week and need some advice. I have a kx with the kit lenses 18-55 and 50 - 200. I also have an M 50mm 1.7 and a M 28mm 2.8. We will be doing a lot of walking and I'm not sure I want to carry the camera bag all day. What lenses do you think I'll be using the most? I'm also concerned about the lighting in the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial. If you have been there, is it dim inside? Will I need one of the prime lenses? I cannot buy a new lens, so any input on how to get the most out of these lenses will be appreciated.

05-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With what you have I would take it all with me and plan on walking around with the 18-55 on the camera and the 50 in my pocket leaving the 200 and the 28 in the room unless I wanted them for a special shot.

Most days are sunny after an early morning shower so the 18-55 should capture almost all of your daytime shots. Evenings or inside the 50 should do the job. We did the trip in 86 with an el-cheapo film camera and got a lot of great pictures.

Take lots of money, the islands are green because of all the money left behind.
05-06-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your lenses will be fine, but not miraculous. If I had to plan my trip to HAwaii over again, I'd bring:

1-a convenient zoom that can stay most of the time on the camera, and/or a WR lens (the 18-135 comes to mind, but in my case it would be the Sigma 17-70 and WR kit)

2-A wide, fast prime and a normal, fast prime

3-a long tele lens

4-maybe a macro lens, since it's something I love

5-an underwater camera (so much snorkeling to do!)

You've basically got 1-2-3 more than partially covered. I'd bring everything, and have at least items 1-2 with me at all times. Since the 50-200 is not that big, I'd carry it with me too.

Your camera bag can be used also to carry water, a lunch, a jacket, etc. I'd take advantage of that and not risk missing a great picture by leaving a lens in the hotel.

By the way, the greatest sights in Hawaii are not the museums, but the nature.
05-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #4

I went to Hawaii a year ago. I got by just fine using the 55-300 almost exclusively. Now the USS Arizona, well the 18-55 was essential, and yes it is pretty dim in there. But if you meter correctly that shouldn't be a problem. That is a really cool memorial, and you can still see oil from the ship. I think the zoom, especially the long one is the most important because if you want to take beach pictures you 1) don't want to have to change out lenses and 2) you will want to be up on the beach more (i.e. as far away from the water as possible)

I got some really really good pics out of my zoom on the trip. Pearl Harbor was really cool! Don't forget to go kayaking and snorkeling. Actually the pentax W90 was really nice to have on those types of outings! Hawaii is gorgeous and I am jealous! I was taking so many pictures that I finally had to put the camera down and just go enjoy the water!

05-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter

The 18-55 will likely be the most-used of that group around town and hiking. Wider is better. Take the 50-200 as well because it is small and will come in handy on occasion.

The Arizona memorial is mostly open-sided, so it is not like a dim church. Some scans from 30+ years ago.

05-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you considered a fish-eye or a wide angle lens? I would take a Pentax 10-17 or a Tamron 10-24
05-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm really excited about this trip, and would love to come home with some photos I can display.
05-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I used just my DA 16-45/4 for the Arizona and stayed at ISO 200 the whole time. The Bowfin submarine tour is a lot darker. I was able to get some shots with the DA 16-45 at f4, ISO 800, but at like 1/8 sec. so they weren't all sharp. I was using the *ist DS so I had more restrictions on ISO. The Missouri was in drydock at the time.

On those kinds of guided, somewhat restricted tours, the 18-55 kit lens is ideal, especially if you are not really quick at changing lenses, focusing and stop-down metering.

05-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Have you considered a fish-eye or a wide angle lens? I would take a Pentax 10-17 or a Tamron 10-24
OP said he could not afford a new lens (but can afford a vacation), but I agree - wider is better :-)
05-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

A note on the Arizona Memorial. Photo bags and even hand bags are not allowed in the Memorial, or any of the museums including the USS Missouri. They do have a check in stand where you can leave you bag.

DO NOT LEAVE IT OR ANYTHING ELSE VALUABLE IN YOUR CAR, IT IS A HIGH THEFT AREA!

It's gotten better over the years with security guards being posted, but there's still a problem there. Also, they do not allow camera use on the bus going over the Admiral Clarey Bridge.

As for lenses, bring the widest lens you own. Lighting inside the memorial isn't bad, as you've seen in some of the photos posted earlier. If you're planning on seeing the Missouri, then you're going to have issues in some areas.
05-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #11

Because of the beautiful flowers you will encounter, you might consider borrowing, buying or renting a macro lens.

As for the Arizona, I would take the kit lens. The picture below was taken at 18mm with ambient light.
Attached Images

05-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Never been to Hawaii so I can't help but from your options my choices if I were to goto Hawaii would be the 18-55 and the 50-200. The speed of the 1.7 and 2.8 from the 50 and 28mm lenses I think would be minute with the sunny tropic environment of Hawaii. Unless your going inside buildings the low light speed of those lenses won't be used.
05-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you Tom S. now I won't worry so much about putting another lens in my pocket. As HawaiianOnline said, there are no bags allowed inside. I want to thank everyone for their input. I knew the kit lenses would be fine for outdoors, but I was concerned about the Arizona, and other museums.