Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
So I bought the K7...thought at first it was great, then I used it in the field...

I bought the K7 and I had a Kx (still have it) and I loved everything about the K7 except for the high iso. I took test shots with the Kx and K7 and felt the Kx had about a stop and a half to 2 stops of better ISO performance using Raw (which is what I shoot in always).* After bringing the camera to my parents’ house to take pictures of the nephews and nieces, I realized the image quality when using High ISO was bad and a lot of detail is lost because of the noise.* I even used ISO 560 and noticed grain which was almost invisible with the Kx. I can't keep the K7, the image quality degrades so much when I bump up the ISO.* It sucks because I loved the K7 so much.

So here's my dilemma now. Is the K5 worth the upgrade from the Kx since the ISO performance is similar? (according to what i saw on DPReview). If all I will be gaining is external controls, a couple more features, and more MP, is it worth getting the K5 instead of buying 2 nice lenses?* I had a previous thread about whether to get the K7 and 50-135mm f2.8 but now my question is should I buy the K5 or get two great lenses for my Kx. I bought a Sigma 50-150 f2.8 and I was thinking of buying another lens if I keep the Kx (my current lenses are the Kit Lens 18-55mm, FA 50mm f1.4 and Tamron 28-75mm f2.8). Will the K5 make my images look that much better with my current lenses compared to the Kx? I shoot portraits mostly.

My concerns are clients will think my camera is not "professional" enough if I keep the Kx.* Some people I photograph have more expensive cameras than I do and I know that's not the issue but in their eyes it might be (even though I have better lenses and more gear, and know how to use it). The final results are what matters but I’m wondering if people will think “hey, you’re charging money for portraits and you’re using a entry-level camera). It's tough decision.

So what do you all think? Get the K5 (I found one for $1339 at Amazon, body only) with my current lens line up, or keep the Kx and keep my Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 and the 43mm f1.9? (I would sell my 50mm f1.4) I got the Sigma for $660 so I'm trying to keep my total spending to no more than $1350.

Last edited by crossover37; 05-06-2011 at 03:18 PM.
05-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get the K5. Normally, I would say glass first, but I really think that if you get the K5, you will be set with regard to camera bodies for a long time. The other thing is to try something like Topaz DeNoise and see how you like your photos with it. Its probably the best out there right now and certainly you can shoot up to iso 3200 with the K7 with it (just don't pixel peep).
05-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then I wonder how you did shoot the pics, I just looked at pics I took of my son the otherday with ISO500, and noise is not really visible, even when viewed at 100%. I did use exposure compensation of +1. I do find it often to help with noise issues.
05-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah my experience too, the key with the K-7 is that you absolutely MUST go over/EfarTTR - anything below and noise is prominent. YMMV

05-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Get the K5. Normally, I would say glass first, but I really think that if you get the K5, you will be set with regard to camera bodies for a long time. The other thing is to try something like Topaz DeNoise and see how you like your photos with it. Its probably the best out there right now and certainly you can shoot up to iso 3200 with the K7 with it (just don't pixel peep).

I agree with Rondec, you can use deNoise software to get better results. I also don't find k-7 to be any deficient at all since I don't usually go higher than iso800. If I use it indoor, I use flash and even if I am outdoor I use fill flash (hotshoe and HSS).
05-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Yeah my experience too, the key with the K-7 is that you absolutely MUST go over/EfarTTR - anything below and noise is prominent. YMMV
I agree with Nass, I also find with K-7 ETTR is important (usually +.7EV).
05-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Your clients who are informed enough to know of the brand Pentax, and that K-x is "entry-level" (and now discontinued), should hopefully be smart enough to know it is a capable camera.

05-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #8

Original Poster
I used flash outside. It's a big difference from my Kx though. When you're on the fly sometimes your exposure isn't exactly how you want it so that's an issue with the K7. Either way, the Kx seems to have given me cleaner images.

Specialk - they don't know the difference, i have to tell them
05-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Your clients who are informed enough to know of the brand Pentax, and that K-x is "entry-level" (and now discontinued), should hopefully be smart enough to know it is a capable camera.
I could not agree more. I used my Kx last year for some photos in a local vineyard. They are now published in a book from Panache Publishing. I have a K5 now, and I have had several folks ask me to sell my Kx. NO WAY!! It is a great camera, and will be in my bag for me to use , as long as it works. And if it breaks, I might just try to find someone to fix it.
05-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Forum Member

I have some good glass and I love it/them,but if your body can't get the shot it doesn't matter how good the glass is.Stop chasing your tail and buy the K5,at the very least get your hands on one an have a play.
05-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Inactive Account

You tell me.. I've never used a Kx. (K5+DA*50-135)

Exif | K5JS4864_mDA50135_SiA_April20_2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Exif | K5JS4449_mDA50135_SiA_April3_2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Exif | K5JS4619_mDA50135_SiA_April10_2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

05-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Those are awesome shots Jeff!! I hope I can close to that!
05-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #13

Original Poster
Jeff - nice shots

Well I can only get the K5 and keep my current glass or keep the Kx (im selling the K7) and keep my Sigma 50-150mm I just bought and not sell it and buy one more lens, maybe the 43mm f1.9.

Which option to choose?

Here's my flickr stream (shot with the Kx) http://www.flickr.com/photos/48244452@N06/
05-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
hcc
Pentaxian

I am sorry that you have some issue with the K-7. The K-7 is a superb camera and it can shoot excellent pictures with ISOs up to 1600, and decent pictures up to ISO3200.

If you decide to use High-ISO correction, you should use the set-up of Adam:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-iso-success.html

Personally I prefer to avoid in-camera High-ISO correction and to do PP with Noiseware. I only use Noiseware for ISO > 1600 however.

A better option is to use fast prime lenses and I have excellent low-light photographs with my f1.4, f1.8 and f2.8 lenses (see signature).

It seems to me that you need to get used to the K-7, and the learning curve may take a few days.

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
My concerns are clients will think my camera is not "professional".
As for your clients: most professionals will look at your lenses. Good glass is most important, and your peers will look at you through your selection of lenses. If you feel that your kit lens is not up to standards, then invest in some good lenses.

The investment into good lenses is also financially smart. The prices of lenses do not drop. In fact the prices of Pentax lenses increased nearly twofold in the last 5-8 years, when the value of a new camera drop by 40% in the first year.

Hope that the comments will help.
05-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hcc - I know quite a bit about photography and all I know is that my images looked really grainy compared to my Kx. I shot pictures of my nieces at my parents' house last week and my results with the Kx were great, noise wasn't really an issue. That's what I noticed right away with my K7.

I can't always use large apertures because I take group shots too and can't scoot back sometimes. I always use my f2.8 lens or f1.4 lens.