Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
That could be when compared to other brands, but I do know this, the K5 is much quicker than my Kx, when it comes to AF. I was using the K5 the other day at a local vineyard, using the Tamron 70-200, I was picking birds off in mid flight, and they looked sharp as heck. I also was playing with the K5 last night in my living room, using my Sigma 530 Super flash unit. It did not hunt and peck at all. Now I was using my Sigma 28-70 lens, and that lens is 77mm up front. That may help, I enjoy both camera, and the Kx is going to continue to get heavy use. The K5 may have an issue, I see the tungsten debate, Most of the wineries I shoot for, you need to use the tungsten WB to get the right colors. Only time will tell. issues maybe, but crippled?
Yeah, I've found the K-5 focuses VERY fast and accurately with my DA* 50-135 and my Sigma 50-500. Indoors it's a little slower, but certainly not slow enough to call it 'crippled'.

With certain lenses I have trouble no matter what the light, though.

05-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
but the best by Pentax is still lagging way behind Nikon. AF tracking isn't even close.
That is an anecdote or opinion, not a fact.

If you wanted to claim it as a fact, it would have to be supported by some evidence that made that statement indisputable.

The problem is there doesn't seem to be much testing out there that definitively says the K-5 AF is miles worse (or better) than any one else's system.
05-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #108
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
With certain lenses I have trouble no matter what the light, though.
You have to wonder if the construction of the lens, causes the camera to act funny. I would have to think that if I put a lens on any camera that has a diameter of 49mm, in a dark room it is going to focus slower than a lens with a 77mm diameter. Less light gets in with the smaller diameter front, so it might take a little longer to focus.
05-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Can't speak for Canon but the best by Pentax is still lagging way behind Nikon. AF tracking isn't even close.
The 7D with the 135L is very, very fast. Part of the advantage the Canon and Nikon have is that their lenses (USM & AF-S) are significantly faster than SDM or screw drive.

The best way to compare is to put use a Sigma lens since the HSM is very fast.

05-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Can't speak for Canon but the best by Pentax is still lagging way behind Nikon. AF tracking isn't even close.
True or not that is totally irrelevant to the point you made. You wouldn't buy the K-5 since AF was your priority. But the K-5 has the best AF in the Pentax stable.

The only logical conclusion is that you are not a Pentax user. Fair enough, but in which case... why post here?
05-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #111
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Originally posted by JHD
True or not that is totally irrelevant to the point you made. You wouldn't buy the K-5 since AF was your priority. But the K-5 has the best AF in the Pentax stable.

The only logical conclusion is that you are not a Pentax user. Fair enough, but in which case... why post here?
I agree rparmar, but here is the other part, slow compared to what? Winder is right on the money, depending on lenses, and the age of them, it could almost be like comaring apples to oranges.
05-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

All the reviews I've read suggest that the Pentax AF is adequate for all but the most demanding tasks. It certainly handles my requirements. Yes, Ca/Nikon have some systems that focus faster. Olympus and Sony are on par with Pentax, it seems. That's far from "crippled", IMO.

There are people that have problems with focus on the K-5. I have a couple of lenses that miss focus all the time - but work find on my K20D. I also have several lenses that are dead on the money nearly every time. I googled things like "Canon 5d focus problem" and "Nikon focus problem with Tamron" and got lots and lots of hits, full of discussions much like the ones in this forum. *shrug*. I call it a wash. You need the best AF, buy CaNikon. For me, the K-5 is the best machine available, bar none.

05-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #113
Veteran Member

I don't have access to my laptop right now, but I believe I have some AF tests done by a French magazine that showed that AF with the K-5 was equal to or slightly better than the D7000. I'll try to post it later.
05-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #114

Original Poster
Ok guys I change my mind a lot.

I decided to keep the K7 so I can keep the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8. That lens is awesome and I used the K7 yesterday and ETTR like I should have and the noise wasn't bad. I will keep my Kx for high iso situations and when I want a compact dslr when on vacation or out of town (coupled with my 50mm f1.4)

I'm going to refuse the K5 package. The K5 won't make me better, the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 on the other hand will give me awesome perspectives for portraits.
05-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
Ok guys I change my mind a lot.

I decided to keep the K7 so I can keep the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8. That lens is awesome and I used the K7 yesterday and ETTR like I should have and the noise wasn't bad. I will keep my Kx for high iso situations and when I want a compact dslr when on vacation or out of town (coupled with my 50mm f1.4)

I'm going to refuse the K5 package. The K5 won't make me better, the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 on the other hand will give me awesome perspectives for portraits.
The K-7 is a solid camera, but you definitely have to get your exposure correct as it does not have much recovery capability. I actually think the K-7 is an excellent camera for someone develop their photographic skills with. It is a very good camera for a Zone System photographer with its 10.5 EV in RAW. I get the feeling a lot of newer photographers don't learn the Zone System and just let the camera decide.

I am interested to hear your opinion of the 50-150 at 150mm. The reviews of this lens are pretty critical of its performance past 135mm.
05-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #116
Forum Member

The K5 won't make me better
No, but it might make your photography easier.What I see is a lot of people who don't own or have little experience with the K5 having a lot to say.It's a shame crossover37 didn't get a chance to find out for himself what a great camera it is. Instead he gets swamped with advice about how to cope with equipment he's unhappy with and fud. Anybody can read on a variety of forums about other brands shooters(who've bought the K5) raving on the K5(doesn't happen often about Pentax lately) and how good it is. Shame.

Last edited by peasant; 05-10-2011 at 03:54 PM.
05-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peasant Quote
No, but it might make your photography easier.What I see is a lot of people who don't own or have little experience with the K5 having a lot to say.It's a shame crossover37 didn't get a chance to find out for himself what a great camera it is. Instead he gets swamped with advice about how to cope with equipment he's unhappy with and fud. Anybody can read on a variety of forums about other brands shooters(who've bought the K5) raving on the K5(doesn't happen often about Pentax lately) and how good it is. Shame.
I'm with you, peasant.
05-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #118

Original Poster
ya it's tough because I've been wanting a fast telephoto lens for quite some time and I feel that if I got the K5 I would be stuck with my same lenses for a while and I don't know if I'd benefit as much from the body. I love the perspective the Sigma gives and I don't shoot high iso enough to justify the K5 since I'm keeping the Kx. The auto focus on my K7 is pretty quick so I just don't know if the benefits of the K5 would warrant the upgrade, unless the image quality difference was like full frame quality.

Last edited by crossover37; 05-10-2011 at 04:44 PM.
05-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #119
Veteran Member

ya it's tough because I've been wanting a fast telephoto lens for quite some time and I feel that if I got the K5 I would be stuck with my same lenses for a while and I don't know if I'd benefit as much from the body. I love the perspective the Sigma gives and I don't shoot high iso enough to justify it. The auto focus on my K7 is pretty quick so I just don't know if the benefits of the K5 would warrant the upgrade, unless the image quality difference was like full frame quality.
The dynamic range and noise level is very much like many FF. Better than FF of last generation, equal to many of this generation (because the K-5 sensor is one generation ahead of all current FF cameras). Of course, when this technology hits the FF Nikon and Sony, they will pull ahead again. It's at least three stops better than K20D/K-7 in DR, and (I think) two in noise level.
05-10-2011, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #120
Veteran Member

Nobody is saying the K-5 is not an outstanding camera. Nobody is saying that the K-5 is not the best APS-C camera on the market. I think you are missing the point.

Each person is in a different position when it comes to what they need and where they are in their photography. Just because the K-5 is the best APS-C on the market does not mean everyone needs to drop $1,400.00 on a new camera. I think good glass will have a better ROI for the OP than the K-5.

For photographers who already have 3 or more Limited lenses and a couple of top quality zooms moving to a K-5 is a logical step, but even then I would ask if the improvements in the K-5 are worth $1,400.00 for their specific needs. For some people the answer will be yes and for some the answer is no.