Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New K-r Owner - Best Lenses?

Hey everyone. I've been registered here for a long while but haven't been on because I sold my K200D, put my Spotmatic in a shoebox, and didn't do much photography for the better part of two years. I went back to it last month only to have the atrociously climbing cost of film give my wallet a cardiac arrest.

Anyways, long story short, after handling the K5 and Kr in the shops, I picked up a Kr. I can't say enough how spectacular the difference is between my old K200D and this thing. Focus speed has massively improved. White balance is almost always spot on, and is even better (same with the focus) now that I've updated the firmware. Images are sharp, and the noise performance for high-ISO images sure made a galactic jump between now and 2008. I can shoot usable images at 3200, and they become even better if I get out the noise-reduction tools.

I have a couple of Takumar lenses for which I need to get an adapter. But I wanted to know what people would suggest as lenses for this camera? I bought the kit with the 18-55 because the kit that includes the DA 35/2.4 isn't available around here. I'd like to pick up the 35. Any other suggestions? I'm looking at used manual focus lenses too, so suggestions there would be awesome. I know my Takumars, but I don't know the other series very well (although I do know that I want SMC Pentax A series lenses as a minimum so that I can set aperture through the camera).

Anyways, thanks for any suggestions. It's nice to have a digital again after over two years without.

05-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Difficult to answer that question without some idea of what you want to shoot. Or some idea of what you want to spend. There are a lot of choices, both in the Pentax line and in third party offerings.

You have two very good primes in your Takumars. Get the adapter, preferably the authentic Pentax one, although some of the cheaper ones work also. Be careful to NOT get one with a flange as you will not be able to focus to infinity with them. You might check out the sticky here before you use them, it will save you some time getting them to work. Also the Takumars have a strong following here you might be interested in.

For a general purpose lens, not too expensive, that fills out your line up you might look at the Pentax DA f/4-5.8 55-300mm. It is a solid, reliable performer with good range. It also comes in a DA L version which is a bit cheaper but lacks quick shift and the hood. Tamron has an offering in this range as well.

In the Pentax-A line up the f/1.4 and f/1.7 50mm turn up regularly and are highly regarded. You can also usually find the f/2.8 28mm. Other than those, A-series lenses are somewhat rare and a little expensive.
05-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For a walk around lens the kit 18-55mm is a very capable lens. In the telephoto zoom, the DA 55-300mm would be my choice to complement the 18-55mm. As mentioned above, the DAL version is the cheaper option if you don’t mind having plastic mount and no quick-shift. For an all-in-one (i.e. vacation lens), I use the Pentax DA18-250mm, which is essentially a re-badge Tamron 18-250mm. For me, it is the best lens investment I have made so far. These, unfortunately, have been since discontinued and can only be had in the used market. Another “one lens” suggestion, though a bit pricey, would be the DA18-135mmWR. There are dozens, if not more, lenses that will bring the best out of your K-r. The question is what kind of photography you will be involved in and what price range are you looking into?
05-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I recently picked up a Tamron 28-200 AF XR IF, it came with an older body that I wanted. I was going to turn around and resell it, after testing it out, it is a sure keeper. I have given the lens to my son who will put it on the K-X and he has been pulling some impressive pictures with it.

05-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Step one - shoot with what you have until you get a clear idea of what you wish you could do that you cannot do already. Then you'll have a better frame of reference for asking about other lenses.
05-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

DA Limiteds will go well with your compact camera body - 15, 35, 70
05-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Step one - shoot with what you have until you get a clear idea of what you wish you could do that you cannot do already. Then you'll have a better frame of reference for asking about other lenses.
Thanks Marc. I should have given it a bit more thought before I posed the question. Guess I was just a little excited.