Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

k-r or k-5?

I still haven't upgraded from my K10D. I'm nno a professional buit am an enthusiast. I want a camera which will take aGOOD pictures and last for about 10 years. I almost never enlarge to 8x10, and mostly 3x5 so my wife can scrapbook.
I don't mind using presets but would like the ability to use some personal settings.

I have all the lenses I want, but do want a newer Pentax .

My inclination is the K-r. Wadaya think?

05-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rangerbob36 Quote
I want a camera which will take aGOOD pictures and last for about 10 years.
I think Pentax SLR/dSLR are already within this category. K5 and K-r are almost two different animals. The former is Pentax's current APS-C flagship while the latter is an entry level. In my opinion, for the type of photography you mentioned (mainly 3x5 for scrapbooking), the K-5 may be an overkill. I have a K-x and is a very capable camera. The K-r is an even improved K-x. For the cost of a K5, you can get a K-r with 18-55mm/55-300mm kit lenses. Unless, of course, if you need weather sealing and cost is not an issue then the K-5 (or K20D or K7) would be my choices.
05-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Going from the K10, the K-5 is the natural choice. Same external controls (with a better layout), weather-resistant, just better handling, responsiveness, and IQ.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You need to think about what shortcomings you're finding with your K10, assuming it hasn't succumbed to the on/off switch contact problem or some other mechanical or electrical issue. The K5 clearly has a many advanced features compared to your K10, but the K10 is still capable of excellent results. If you need high iso, maybe the Kr makes sense. But if you'd miss weather sealing, then the K5 would be you only upgrade choice. So you really have to decide why you feel you need to upgrade.

If your K10 isn't actually broken and you're just upgrading to upgrade, there's nothing you can buy that will last you ten years. You post sounds like it would be "normal" to have upgraded from a K10 by now. The K10 is only half of those ten years old and you're wanting to replace it already. It's still a very, very capable camera, as long as it's still working properly. Lots of us still use a K100 or even earlier model, and are generally pleased with the results.

Paul

05-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Going from the K10, the K-5 is the natural choice. Same external controls (with a better layout), weather-resistant, just better handling, responsiveness, and IQ.
+1

I totally agree with Adam. The K-5 is the more than obvious choice.
05-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am also thinking of upgrading. Is't K-5 has better higher ISO performance than K-r?
05-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by rangerbob36 Quote
I want a camera which will take aGOOD pictures and last for about 10 years.
In my opinion the the price difference is negligible if you plan to keep the camera for 10 years. Take K-5. It is likely that you're happy for a longer time with it.
05-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a no-brainer for me also.
The K-5 is the camera that will go the distance with you, not because the K-r won't, but because an enthusiast typically wants the best, and is willing to invest the little extra to get it.

Weather sealing, extra controls, fantastic performance - all of these aspects do make the difference. And as an enthusiast, I also think it's worth it.