Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #1

Pentax KM battery issue

I noticed the last time I pulled my KM out of the bag the battery meter showed half full, so I stuck in some other batteries and it showed full. Charged the first batteries to full.. Just over 2000mAh as that is the rated cap. That was maybe 2 days ago, pull the camera out today and batteries show in the red and need to be changed. Only took maybe a few pictures on the set in the camera that showed low.

Whats going on? Is this a common issue? I know my batteries are good and charged.

I use Eneloops and Precharged Duracells. Charged with either a BC-700 or BC-900 until full.

Never had this problem with the K100D I had previously. Have updated to the latest firmware.

05-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard..

How old are the batteries? If you have it, do they behave the same way in your K100d? Just because they charge, doesn't mean they have any holding capacity left. That's just a guess of course.

05-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
They are less then 10 months old.

It has taken them almost the entire day to discharge in my BC-900 at 250mAh, and discharged over 1800mAh, so they were not depleted in anyway.

For some reason the camera doesnt display the correct battery level.

My Fuji HS10 does not have this problem with the same batteries, nor does my handheld GPS, or Wiimotes for that matter.
05-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Set the camera to NiMH and see if the problem goes away.

05-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hmm.. yeah.. I have tried all of the settings. Quite aware that nimh batteries are 1.2V compared to 1.5V of an alkaline.
05-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the K-m too. Showing depleted sign in 2 days is a bit extreme though the battery indicator is never stable. You might refresh the batteries once and see if it helps. Also, clean all batteries and battery compartment contacts with alcohol. Don't use eraser which will scratch the metal and induce corrosion later.
05-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
Its not the batteries, nor are there dirty terminals/connections.

Wish I had kept the K100D and K110D.

05-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Snider Quote
Its not the batteries, nor are there dirty terminals/connections.
Wish I had kept the K100D and K110D.
Something similar to this happened on my K100D - had the K100D sitting idle for nearly a year with DuraLoops (Duracell Pre-Charged white tops - confirmed eneloop clones) - turning camera On gave low battery even after several On/Offs - so I thought may be DuraLoops were depleted - but they weren't - put them back in K100D turned on camera - and voila! back to full battery - go figure -

I think there may be some kind of charge capacitor/buffer that needed charging up again to keep the battery indicator working properly - I know there was a post somewhere that talked about this.

Perhaps your capacitor is no longer functioning or perhaps you haven't given it a chance to charge up (although it ought to be just a matter of seconds) - I'll see if I can find that post - it's a relatively simple (but fiddly) fix to gain back the functionality.

Sooner said than done:

It's in Posts #34 and #39 (links) by Mangusta in thread: *ist DL and batteries?

Last edited by UnknownVT; 05-08-2011 at 11:59 AM.
05-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its not the batteries
How do you know this? Have you tried a brand new set? Just because less demanding devices can still get use out of them doesn't mean they aren't "tired" in terms of the voltage they are maintaining. Do you have a voltage tester?
05-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What happens if you put lithiums in?

Paul
05-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #11

Original Poster
No I dont have a voltage tester, but I do have a Multimeter and know my way around electronics. I know the difference between Voltage and Amperage and can solve for whatever you want in a circuit if you need me to.

Sorry but dont need someone telling me that the batteries are bad. If thats all you have to add then please dont respond anymore as you are not helping so dont take offense.

I have (6) sets of 4 batteries that I use.

Mix of precharged duracells with the white cap, which are eneloops and the precharged duracells with the black caps.

So your telling me that all 6 of my sets are bad and its not the camera in some way?

I also have about 16 of the white eneloops.

I do have 2 Energizer lituim CRV3's and 2 Duracell Ultra Lithiums that I keep in my bag just in case I need them.
05-09-2011, 05:52 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No I dont have a voltage tester, but I do have a Multimeter and know my way around electronics. I know the difference between Voltage and Amperage and can solve for whatever you want in a circuit if you need me to.

Sorry but dont need someone telling me that the batteries are bad. If thats all you have to add then please dont respond anymore as you are not helping so dont take offense.

I have (6) sets of 4 batteries that I use.

Mix of precharged duracells with the white cap, which are eneloops and the precharged duracells with the black caps.

So your telling me that all 6 of my sets are bad and its not the camera in some way?

I also have about 16 of the white eneloops.

I do have 2 Energizer lituim CRV3's and 2 Duracell Ultra Lithiums that I keep in my bag just in case I need them.
Then you should be able to find your way around the inside of the camera as you look for the dead spot.

Good luck.

05-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, but that was kind of uncalled for,actually. You hadn't explained that you had six sets of cells, and you hadn't explained anything about your knowledge of electronics. All you had offered as evidence that the batteries were fine is the fact that the one set of batteries you specifically had a problem with worked in some other device. As someone with your electronics background would know, that single comment wouldn't be sufficient to rule out batteries as the problem. Had you seen seen someone post the exact same thing, wouldn't you have suggested the exact same thing? So no need to be rude or condescending toward those trying to offer you the same help you surely would have offered yourself.