Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Direct comparison *ist-D vs K10D

Is there a direct user conversation on the comparison of these 2 bodies? We really like the *ist-D. The DL and the K100D do not match up to the *ist-D, but they have added great features since the D came out. Does the K10D bring the best of both together? The K100D is disappointing me. I've still got to find more of the feature settings to make sure I do not have something wrong somewhere.

For example - When I take a picture of the same scene with each camera without flash - the *ist-D does provide good white balance, but the K100D (DL, too) come up with a strong orange from the ambient light. What can I do to get better white balance on ambient pictures with the K100D? Is the K10D more like the *ist-D with white balance settings, etc? How well does auto white-balance work in ambient light?

(I shoot a lot of ambient light portraits.)

Faith

12-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10D and the *ist D are Pentax's more advanded DSLRs; the DS, DL, and K100/110D have a lot more automation and are missing several external buttons that would qualify them as advanced (i.e the AF type switch was removed and added to the menu instead).

Because of this, I definitely agree. The K10D brings the two branches together and introduces some new features while it's at it (10MP sensor, DR, weather seals).

The only thing unique to the *ist D is its TTL/wireless flash, which I wish the K10D had...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I've never had too many problems with flash white balance on my *ist DS, on ambient lighting I would say the K10D does a little bit worse than the DS. However, the K10 has a more usable and powerful manual white balance adjustment than the *ist series (and presumably the K100D) so I find the poor 'Auto' setting not critical.

Of course, if you shoot in RAW the white balance isn't applied until you 'develop' the file. If I were shooting in tricky ambient light I would always shoot RAW and worry about it later.
12-13-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

auto white balance dosnt work with tungsten light none flash.. the manual tungten setting seems okay thow the camera on auto just dosnt seem exactly sure when to use it..

easy to get around once u know..

trog

12-14-2006, 06:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't think there is much to compare between the K10D and the *ist D. It is because the generations between the two are too far away. Just like comparing dinosaurs with the space shuttle!

I replaced my *ist D by an *ist DS and found that the DS surpassed the D for all aspects digitally (color response, RAW image quality and digital processing speed, digital features and etc.)

Then I replaced my DS with a K100D and found that the difference in the digital department is again a big gap.

The K10D is supposed to be even more advanced than the K100. So, what do you think?

The K100D is a good camera, IMHO, don't just the camera feature on paper or by specs at the first place. It's the final image quality that really counts!

Regarding the color cast you encountered, just don't use picture mode and select "Natural Mode" instead of "Bright", then your seen problem will go away!

QuoteOriginally posted by sandpiper6 Quote
Is there a direct user conversation on the comparison of these 2 bodies? We really like the *ist-D. The DL and the K100D do not match up to the *ist-D, but they have added great features since the D came out. Does the K10D bring the best of both together? The K100D is disappointing me. I've still got to find more of the feature settings to make sure I do not have something wrong somewhere.

For example - When I take a picture of the same scene with each camera without flash - the *ist-D does provide good white balance, but the K100D (DL, too) come up with a strong orange from the ambient light. What can I do to get better white balance on ambient pictures with the K100D? Is the K10D more like the *ist-D with white balance settings, etc? How well does auto white-balance work in ambient light?

(I shoot a lot of ambient light portraits.)

Faith