Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10d rebate question...

Does the $100 rebate only cover the K10d w/ kit lens? Or can it be applied to just the body?

Also, is CameraAddict.com a reliable provider?

This looks like a great deal:

CameraAddict.com - PentaxK10D, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera w/ Zoom Super Wide Angle SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Autofocus Lens Kit

It seems legitimate... has a phone number to call, a physical address, etc. I'll try to call them tomorrow to see what they say.

Anyone had any experience with these people?

Thanks!

-Tim

11-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not seeing "US warranty" which makes me think they might be selling you Grey Market goods (which I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole).
11-03-2007, 01:01 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by JamesD Quote
which makes me think they might be selling you Grey Market goods (which I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole).
they even state this on their site !

QuoteQuote:
All items sold by Camera Addict LLC are warranted solely by the manufacturer unless otherwise stated. Camera Addict LLC is not responsible for items serviced by the manufacturer. Camera Addict LLC also carries imported/Grey Market products which are not covered by the original manufacturer’s warranty. On imported items, Camera Addict LLC provides a warranty identical to the provisions and limitations of the manufacturer’s warranty up to a maximum of 1 year parts and 90 days labor. Your warranty cards/ and or sales slip must accompany all items.
11-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Does the $100 rebate only cover the K10d w/ kit lens? Or can it be applied to just the body?
The words on the rebate form imply kit only, but the number listed is for just the body. Plus, even legit retailers, including Amazon, mention the rebate on their body-only pages. It may turn out that you'll have to fight for it, but it looks like body-only will get the rebate too.

QuoteQuote:
Uh, yeah, no:

Camera Addict Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

QuoteQuote:
That's because it's a scam. For some reason, camera sales attract them like nothing else. Seriously, if it's not one of the well-known names (B&H, Adorama, Beach/BuyDig) or a well-known general electronics retailer (Amazon, NewEgg, Dell), it's guaranteed to be a scam -- even if their web site looks very slick.

11-03-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I guess I'll stop looking for good deals and just pony up the money from beach camera

It makes me sad though!

-Tim
11-03-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's my next question:

Do batteries that look like the 'official' K10d battery by Pentax work in the camera as well?

For instance:

Pentax D-LI50 Battery K10D SLR, K10 - Pentax Camera Batteries

(Just an example)... there are some on Ebay for really cheap... do they work?

-Tim
11-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #7

I bought a bnew k10 online too. but didn't get a sales receipt. do you think paypal invoice would be enough for the rebate.
11-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax D-LI50 Battery K10D SLR, K10 - Pentax Camera Batteries
(Just an example)... there are some on Ebay for really cheap... do they work?
There's a bunch of older threads on this. Some work, others may cause problems. The consensus is that the Konica-Minolta equivalent is a pretty safe bet (since it's also a big-name camera company, not just some knockoff) and you can get those pretty cheap from B&H.

11-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dPest Quote
I bought a bnew k10 online too. but didn't get a sales receipt. do you think paypal invoice would be enough for the rebate.
I doubt it. If I remember right, the rebate fine print specifies that it only applies to authorized resellers. If your ebay seller were one, you probably would have gotten a real invoice too.
11-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you again for the reliable info Matt!!
11-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

CameraAddict.com

CameraAddict.com - Pentax K10D, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera w/ Zoom Super Wide Angle SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Autofocus Lens Kit

It seems legitimate... has a phone number to call, a physical address, etc. I'll try to call them tomorrow to see what they say.

Anyone had any experience with these people?

Thanks!

-Tim
Discount Shopping and Store Reviews by Real People at ResellerRatings gives them a very poor rating, 1.5 out of 10. The reviews posted sound like the rest of those NY/NJ scam artists who advertise unbelieveably low prices. After you order, you are instructed to call them on the phone to verify your order. At that time, you get a very high-pressure sales pitch for overpriced accessories. If you decline, your original purchase is suddenly "out of stock".

These guys have even been known to open the box, remove everything except the camera body and then try to "sell" you the stuff it came with, like the battery, usb cable, software CD, etc.

It is almost certainly "grey" market merchandise. As such, I don't believe it is eligible for the rebate. The rebates are offered by Pentax, USA, not Pentax, Japan. Why would the USA branch rebate a camera that they didn't even sell.

Run, do not walk, away from these guys as fast as you can.

Here's the link to ResellerRatings.com:

Camera Addict Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

A few people have actually been able to get a working camera outfit from these outfits, but it almost always (scratch the "almost") costs them a lot more than the original advertised price. Often it costs as much or more than if they had gone to a reputable online dealer, like B & H Photo.

Paul Noble

Paul Noble
11-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I doubt it. If I remember right, the rebate fine print specifies that it only applies to authorized resellers. If your ebay seller were one, you probably would have gotten a real invoice too.
thanks matt!