Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #1

Companion Travel camera

Hi all
I own a K7 with WR zooms and some other lens, I'm quite satisfied with both picture and hardware quality... since carrying all the hardware can be uncomfortable in some situation I'm searching for a small compact camera to bring with me as everytime companion, ie. at my children party or to give to my wife... that compact camera should have
- low weight/dimensions
- a good picture quality, even if not excellent as my K7
- movie mode in FullHD, zooming while rec
- if possible shoots raw, but not an important issue

The best that fits into what I would buy is the canon s95... but does not zooms while rec... so I've considered the canon SX220, NikonS8100/S9100... but they don't seem to have a good picture quality... they are far from s95... and very very very far from K7 !

Awaiting for any suggestion or thought you want to share...

05-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After lots of research, and some input from another forum, I went with a Panasonic Lumix camera as my P&S.

I bought the ZS7 seen here:

Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Black): Camera & Photo

It has IS, a great 12X zoom, records in HD with stereo sound, and does zoom while taking video (it does not zoom all the way to 12X for video). Another feature for video is it records in ACVHD Lite which enables you to capture video for as long as you have space on your card. I am very happy with what I have.

On the Panasonic site, it seems the ZS7 was replaced with a ZS10:

Learn about cameras camcorders, digital cameras from Panasonic

Just a suggestion to look at while you are shopping. I think the Lumix line is worth looking at.
05-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-7 and a pancake lens (eg DA40mm Ltd) is a very neat, small package albeit heavier than a P&S. It has all your requirements:
- low weight/dimensions
- a good picture quality, even if not excellent as my K7
- movie mode in FullHD, zooming while rec
- if possible shoots raw.

is it viable?

Recently I travel overseas very light: a cabin luggage for a 6 days trip, including my K-7 and a prime lens. I love it and took great pictures. I had to compensate the lack of zoom by moving around to get the best shot with the prime, and I enjoyed it. Many colleagues were surprised by my camera selection, but the bulk is no more some advanced P&S and the quality is far better.

Food for thoughts....