05-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
RAW vs JPG is a long running debate -
both have their places and advocates -
this is not the appropriate place to debate it -
there are plenty of existing threads,
where valid cases are made for both sides.
LOL. I almost said "I don't want to start a raw vs jpg flame war here, but"... But I just had to point out that the difference isn't theoretical. Most debates hinge upon the additional work required by raw, not a disagreement about the fundamental characteristics, as any argument about fundamental characteristics is an argument of fact, not opinion.

But if everyone used raw it WOULD bring world peace and solve the problem of poverty.

05-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
LOL. I almost said "I don't want to start a raw vs jpg flame war here, but"...
But if everyone used raw it WOULD bring world peace and solve the problem of poverty.
Cool! please sign me up!

Perhaps my wording was ambiguous about "theoretical" -
in many cases the differences in an end result - that's regular web displayable 8-bit sRGB JPG - is marginal if at all - visually
- with obviously the caveat that if a lot of drastic processing has to be done - then RAW clearly will show its superiority.

However with this case it isn't quite as clear cut -
the OP was showing how to mitigate the high contrast subject in the shadows situation
with in camera adjustments for the JPG -
all Ash and I were suggesting was to show with fairly simple to understand pp on the errant JPG one could recover it to similar results.

Of course RAW could do as well, if not better - even the OP said that......

world peace in our time -
please,
even if that means I HAVE to use RAW all the time.......
05-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Surely you mean "if everyone ate raw"?
05-11-2011, 02:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
The Shadows/highlights as pointed out by Ash is pretty simple to understand - and can correct the OP's JPG example of the subject partially hidden in the shadows and give more flexible results than the in-camera correction - which although works is not generally applicable because if the next shot is a normal non-back-lit scene - then the result is likely to be kind of pale and washed out -
so applying the more drastic shadows and highlight corrections in-camera can only be done on a sort of case by case basis.
Very true. I think this problem applies to all camera settings - we change a setting, shoot and forget to set it back, much to our surprise for the next shot. The more extreme setting the bigger the problem. This shadow-lift setting is certainly an extreme one.

Sincerely,
--Anders.

05-12-2011, 06:00 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Surely you mean "if everyone ate raw"?
Ok this one really dates me:

Raw raw, that's the spirit!