Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
Shake reduction on tripod

Perhaps the more knowlegable people on this forum can explain to me, why does the manual cautions to turn off the shake reduction feature when mounting the camera (k-x) on a tripod.
Why would it hurt the camera?
It makes no sense to me!
The only thing that comes to mind is that in some video cameras (maybe all) there's a trade off in picture quality having the shake redution on. Could it be that the shake redution feature on these cameras also diminishes the picture quailty?
Thanks in advance!
Jake

05-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,235
If I am not mistaken the camera tries to compensate for the shake, but since with the tripod there is no shake it is counterproductive.
It is the first time I hear that it can hurt the camera though...
05-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
QuoteOriginally posted by FrumPilot Quote
Perhaps the more knowlegable people on this forum can explain to me, why does the manual cautions to turn off the shake reduction feature when mounting the camera (k-x) on a tripod.
Why would it hurt the camera?
It makes no sense to me!
The only thing that comes to mind is that in some video cameras (maybe all) there's a trade off in picture quality having the shake redution on. Could it be that the shake redution feature on these cameras also diminishes the picture quailty?
Thanks in advance!
Jake
As Sergy stated, it supposedly is counter productive but I suggest you try it on and off at low shutter speeds and compare shots to see how your technique compares to SR.

It CAN'T hurt the camera.

It does not diminish picture quality in MY tests with long lenses.

Since your mileage may vary, do some before/after testing and pixel peeping to be sure how it works for you. I have yet to notice a difference with a K20D and long lenses(400+) but my technique and gear differ from yours.
05-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Nowhere Matt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,312
Please punish me by disregarding more of my posts but what can be said about shake reduction when the lens is the mounting point on the tripod?
Of course I should engage in my own real world tests and I certainly will later. Just curious. And of course more times than not anytime I am using a tripod, I am either using a remote or timer to trip the shutter.

Ohh. Too many suppositions. Think later I will just play with a monopod and a tripod in different conditions to see for myself.

05-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
SR moves the sensor to compensate for supposed user movements when you're holding camera and lens. If SR is on and the camera is stabilized, not handheld, the sensor moves anyway, sometimes strongly. Thus: I mount my big heavy Kenko 180 Degree fisheye adapter onto my F35-70. I turn SR and LiveView on and set the camera+lens+adapter rig onto a smooth flat tabletop. The SR movement is enough to shake the camera rig around, slowly across the tabletop. Awesome!
05-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 56
It doesn't hurt the camera, it simply makes your image slightly less sharp.
The reasons are as follows:

The camera contains three sensors that measure the rotation of the camera in the X, Y, and Z axes (role, pitch and yaw).

From the amount of rotation it uses a little bit of trigonometry to calculate how much to move the sensor in compensation.

But this calculation depends on knowing where the center of rotation is. If the camera is handheld that coincides with the axes of the camera. But when you mount it on a tripod or monopod the center of rotation is changed to an unknown point so the camera wrongly calculates the amount of compensation.

That said, because the amount of movement is small, the error is small.
05-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,421
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
As Sergy stated, it supposedly is counter productive but I suggest you try it on and off at low shutter speeds and compare shots to see how your technique compares to SR.

It CAN'T hurt the camera.

It does not diminish picture quality in MY tests with long lenses.

Since your mileage may vary, do some before/after testing and pixel peeping to be sure how it works for you. I have yet to notice a difference with a K20D and long lenses(400+) but my technique and gear differ from yours.
Yes, I've always wondered about this. The standard method is to turn off the SR when mounting the camera on to a tripod, but at the same time recommends the use of the two second timer to minimize the vibration from the mirror slap. I have missed many shots because of the two second delay or forgetting to turn off the timer when I am done. I am glad to know you have tried it - I'll have to try it myself soon.

Thanks,
05-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: National Capital Region
Posts: 738
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Yes, I've always wondered about this. The standard method is to turn off the SR when mounting the camera on to a tripod, but at the same time recommends the use of the two second timer to minimize the vibration from the mirror slap. I have missed many shots because of the two second delay or forgetting to turn off the timer when I am done. I am glad to know you have tried it - I'll have to try it myself soon.

Thanks,
I would have thought the vibration from the mirror slap would be the same regardless of how you engage the shutter release.

But by using the timer, cable or remote shutter release, you avoid introducing any camera body shake.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, dslr, feature, photography, picture, reduction, redution, shake, shake reduction, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shake Reduction with Tripod CypherOz Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 01-19-2010 01:10 AM
shaper with shake reduction on tripod? pete_pf Photographic Technique 15 11-02-2008 11:01 PM
Shake reduction and the use of a tripod wildman Pentax DSLR Discussion 25 06-12-2008 12:40 AM
K10D, Shake Reduction & Tripod switch79 Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 04-19-2007 06:18 PM
K10D Shake Reduction and Tripod Ian Mc Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 12-31-2006 04:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top