Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #1

Remote shutter release for k-x/k-r

Hey all, I'm thinking of upgrading my old *istDL to a k-x (or possibly k-r) but the application I'm using it for requires that I have a wired remote shutter release port. These 2 cameras don't have this option, correct? Does anyone with soldering skill have any experience adding this port? Or any other ideas? Thanks.

05-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
seek and ye shall find. The problem is, I cant remember where you should look but this issue has been extensively discussed here and elsewhere. Google should be your friend. The options are - use an IR remote, but only from the front of the camera or construct a bracket that clips into the flash shoe and enables you to use a physical cable remote shutter release pressing down on the shutter button. This mod was presented in one of those DIY sites where clever people show their clever solutions.

You are not going to find anyone who will take the cam apart and attach a socket to part of the circuit. The IR remote solution can be made to work from the back of the cam by using mirror reflectors or optical fibre cable onto the IR receiver on the front of the cam.

Otherwise, either k10, k20, K7 or K5 or change your brand
05-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hmmm, that seems like it will be a problem then. I use the camera mounted on my head for skydiving. I need to be able to plug in an electronic switch that I activate with my tongue. Looks like I'm looking for a different option... Thanks for the info.
05-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On the other forum a member took one of those cheap wireless releases from ebay and opened it up and soldered wires to the switch contacts, and soldered a push button switch to the wires, added a bit of Velcro to the switch and camera. Attach the remote to a spot on the camera where the beam from the remote would be 'seen' by the camera's IR sensor and this made a wired remote for the K-X. He said it worked.

05-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

K-7 has remote shutter release port and I use the same cable from MZ-6.
11-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
Inactive Account

K-R Remote Shutter release

Hi All, I am a newby to this forum. I just bought a K-r and did not realise until I got it that it had no remote cable socket, whereas my K200 does have. Can't be that hard to add one, I added one to an old Fuji s5000 superzoom a while back so I could take hundreds of storm photos. Will have a go at this one and let you know how hard it is. The IR remote has a lot of limitations and i have need for light / sound / motion activation and other stuff I fiddle with, that are much better suited to a cable release setup. It can't cost the company more than 7 cents to add this to a camera, WHY leave it off!.
I propose using the headphone socket from an old nokia mobile phone, this has the correct socket type for a remote release.
let me know if anyone is interested in how it goes.
11-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by freeflyr Quote
Hmmm, that seems like it will be a problem then. I use the camera mounted on my head for skydiving. I need to be able to plug in an electronic switch that I activate with my tongue. Looks like I'm looking for a different option... Thanks for the info.
AYFKM?! Do you want to attach it to your head or your helmet? Activate with your tongue?!

As a former paratrooper and skydiver myself, this isn't rocket science. You can set up interval shooting with the K-r. Just read your manual. that will mean you can forego all this remote horsesh*t and get shots as you want. I'd be more concerned about my situational air awareness and my altimeter than my camera at that point.