Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #1

Flasynch at 1/60 in A-mode with 31mm ltd

Hi, I am back again, bought some useless Sony fullframe camera and lenses. To heavy, then I bought Sony Nex, useless, you need glases for every shot you make.

Bought Pentax K5 31mm and 18-135.

But there is one thing I dont understand, Flashsynch is stuck at 1/60 in A-mode with 31mm ltd. Why is it not 1/180? It is with the 18-135 zoom.

Sugestions?

Last edited by chals; 05-11-2011 at 01:37 PM.
05-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in auto mode, pentax follows some kind of hand hold rule of thumb, trying to only supply fill flash, making the lighting up with natural lighting first. change the focal length and this will change

but I personally don't trust flash in any mode other than manual.

As I don't have a clue how the engineers think, I prefer to do it myself
05-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
True. In Av mode, the camera assumes an approximate fixed 1/(focal length) second shutter speed in an attempt to try and expose the background as best as possible, at the same time avoiding the possibility of camera shake. I personally don't mind this as it means I can use my ISO to adjust for background exposure, whilst allowing P-TTL to expose for the subject. For me it seems to work quite well.

If you want total control over shutter speed, flip to M mode. Otherwise, you can switch the flash to high-speed sync (HSS) mode and you then have automatic background exposure done by the camera using shutter speed, with you setting just the aperture.