Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #1

Pentax k-x and manual lenses

Hello I bought a Pentax K-X a week ago, its my first dslr and I dont have too much money now to invest in lenses;p. So I got it with kit and now Im thinking of adding Helios 44 F2 to my "collection". I need to buy the adapter from M42 to K-mount, but I wonder if I do that wil my camera still be able to tell me exposure? I mean normally I can see if (in M mode) my image is over exposed on under, and I am not a pro to know it without looking yet so I need that little diagram, after attaching old lenses will I still be able to see it working?

05-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you will still be able to meter in M and Av. The procedure is outlined here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #3

I have another question pertaining manual lens and a K-x that the link you gave doesn't answer. I stumbled into the topic of split-prism viewfinders, and after reading about it, I seem to have come to the conclusion that a split-prism is required to be able to use a manual lens more effectively with a K-x. Is this true?
05-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

They aren't required to manual focus. They help you focus better and thats it. There is no change in image quality, etc.

05-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Byakko have you used an old film camera? the ones built before Autofocus? They came with the split screen. look through one and you'll get what it is.

The helios is a good acquisition but an original adapter + helios in good condition may start to sum up...maybe consider saving money for something you'll want when you have shot some 100s of fotos...the kit lens is pretty decent.
05-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Baykko, you can also try catch in focus (CIF - aka focus trap)
search in the forum and you will find several posts on the topic
05-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Byakko Quote
I seem to have come to the conclusion that a split-prism is required to be able to use a manual lens more effectively with a K-x. Is this true?
As jellyfish26 said, it is not required, it does however aid somewhat in manual focusing. The CIF is a great feature to use on the K-X...

05-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #8

The split prism only helps in focusing by lining up the image and distorting it until its in focus.
05-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robn1 Quote
The split prism only helps in focusing by lining up the image and distorting it until its in focus.
Well, it helps more than that. It helps on left, right, top, bottom, any point manual focusing via the frosting outside of center.
05-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Liveview is the best manual focusing aid available on the k-x. In manual focus mode, you can zoom in 10x on the exact spot of the image you want in focus and adjust the focus till you nail it. Its accurate because you are using the actual sensor as a focusing aid. All other methods, AF beep, focusing screens etc., depend on being the exact same distance as the sensor, in the light path through the mirror box. Also solves the difficulty spectacle wearers face in using the optical viewfinder.
Once you enter liveview mode, press the info button. The wheel will then allow you to change the magnification.
05-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies. =) I haven't used a manual camera before but seeing that there are many good manual lens available for my K-x, I wanted to learn about them before I commit to buying them.

selar> The review sites say the Liveview for the K-x is slow in focusing, so if I was doing anything other than tripod work with my manual lens, it'll be a bit difficult to get the focus down, right? ^^;;

I guess I'll just have to practice for a while to get it right. =)
05-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Byakko Quote
The review sites say the Liveview for the K-x is slow in focusing, so if I was doing anything other than tripod work with my manual lens, it'll be a bit difficult to get the focus down, right
Its not too bad with AF in liveview either. At the moment I'm having difficulties with the AF through the viewfinder, so am using Liveview even for AF till i get my regular AF fixed. It does take a little longer, than the regular AF, you cant use it to AF on fast moving action, I think. I have used Liveview handheld, its about the same speed as a regular P&S.
05-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've mentioned this in a couple other similar recent threads: I have a katzeye-clone split-VF screen on my K20D. It is most useful with well-lit, contrasty subjects, with sharp features to align on the screen. Bland or dim subjects are hard to see. LiveView is great -- unless you're in a bright situation with light hitting the LCD screen, which becomes hard to see. Use a black head-cloth, eh?

With my old delaminating eyeballs, I depend on CIF (catch-in-focus AKA trap-focus). It is free, and it is pretty dependable. Just aim and hold down the shutter. Then either twist the focus ring, or wait for a subject to move into focus, and the shutter automagically trips and captures the picture. This can be used with multi-shot drive modes, useful for shooting action.
05-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #14

Original Poster
Hey guys I read the other post about m42 lenses and how to use them, but it does not answer my question (sort of).
I M mode I cant use exposure compensation, I can in Av. But what I want is to see if the pic is too dark or not. The exposure bar to meter automatically so I can change other settings if necessary.
Is that possible on manual lens? Now I am new and I still got to learn a lot about what sort of iso/shutter speed/aperture and how to adjust them under different conditions.
05-26-2011, 02:24 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Helios is available in K mount too (search 44K-4), that way you wont need to spend money on M42 adapter.