Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
So based on the recommendation in another thread of this forum, I ordered a 1.36X viewfinder magnifier. I'll report back on it
Oh, a KPS? They're *brilliant.* I keep forgetting they aren't part of the camera.

As for diffraction at like F22, ...I don't usually stop down so much, except on my old Kodak Signet where I love the effect. (As I discovered, since the shutter only goes to 1/300 and that perhaps a little stickily) It's not for measurebators in small formats, but to be honest, I think it manages to capture something of how really bright days *feel* to my sun-sensitive self, if not actually look. (Well, sometimes it looks like Kodachrome two stops over, but that's not very pretty anyway. )

Also, for understandable reasons, I love a nice eyecup, so you're in for a treat.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-20-2011 at 04:23 PM.
05-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Oh, a KPS? They're *brilliant.* I keep forgetting they aren't part of the camera.

As for diffraction at like F22, ...I don't usually stop down so much, except on my old Kodak Signet where I love the effect. (As I discovered, since the shutter only goes to 1/300 and that perhaps a little stickily) It's not for measurebators in small formats, but to be honest, I think it manages to capture something of how really bright days *feel* to my sun-sensitive self, if not actually look. (Well, sometimes it looks like Kodachrome two stops over, but that's not very pretty anyway. )

Also, for understandable reasons, I love a nice eyecup, so you're in for a treat.
Actually the Tenpa. Seems similar?

I don't usually use f/22, and with focus stacking nowadays, there's no reason to do so on a landscape shot. I was just illustrating that it's not as dire as it was made to sound is all.

I try to avoid un-sunglassed exposure to midwestern sunshine. I end up squinting and grimacing, and when I come back inside, everything is blurry for a while.

And I *hate* presbyopia.
05-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #243
Pentaxian

Actually the Tenpa. Seems similar?

By all reports we have, yes, different mounting, but otherwise probably just equivalent.

QuoteQuote:
I don't usually use f/22, and with focus stacking nowadays, there's no reason to do so on a landscape shot. I was just illustrating that it's not as dire as it was made to sound is all.

It's so. Also I think it may lose both sharpness and charm with more modern lens coatings, anyway.

QuoteQuote:
I try to avoid un-sunglassed exposure to midwestern sunshine. I end up squinting and grimacing, and when I come back inside, everything is blurry for a while.

And I *hate* presbyopia.
Some days around here as well as when I was back in the Upper Midwest, I'd call 'Sunny 22 days,' Sunny 16 and reflections off the ground. Render me efffectively Morocco Mole.
05-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Some days around here as well as when I was back in the Upper Midwest, I'd call 'Sunny 22 days,' Sunny 16 and reflections off the ground. Render me efffectively Morocco Mole.
OMG-ROFL... So Google sent me one of the all-black unmarked CR-48 Google laptops for testing their ChromeOS, and I jokingly named it my "Secret Squirrel" laptop - and NOBODY knew what the hell I was talking about. Thanks for making me feel validated. Heeh!

05-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #245
Pentaxian

OMG-ROFL... So Google sent me one of the all-black unmarked CR-48 Google laptops for testing their ChromeOS, and I jokingly named it my "Secret Squirrel" laptop - and NOBODY knew what the hell I was talking about. Thanks for making me feel validated. Heeh!
Whahappened!
05-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

For a brief second I thought you were using one of my old Tak 35 shots as an example somehow - looks similar, down to the same position of trellis

We have one that's sorta that color in the front yard; just got beaten down by the rain, though. Has those same little nymphs on it, too; I need to look 'em up again, I forgot what they turn into when they grow up. (Sigma 10-20)

05-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
For a brief second I thought you were using one of my old Tak 35 shots as an example somehow - looks similar, down to the same position of trellis
Here's a better stitched portrait example (in re our earlier discussion). 18-20 images shot in about thirty seconds, with four minutes spent stitching. Still lots more work than a single shot of ~85 f1.4 on FF, but it's also 100MP(!!!!). Again, no rebuttal, just "another way to get the same effect without looking cheesily pshopped"

She was smiling, at least, and I did some PP, so it's not so dull and lifeless as the last one:

05-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #248
Pentaxian

The f/22 image is CERTAINLY less sharp than the 5.6 image, but it's very close to this f2.8 image. Both are FAR down from the lens peak between 5.6 and 8, but still useful. Here is the f/22 image, uncropped. I think even Marc might agree that it's pretty far from "destroyed" by diffraction
Yes, I admit that was hyperbole. I'm still have some intellectual curiosity about whether the DOF in that f/22 shot is *actually* greater than in an f/16 shot - that is, whether the points just outside the zone of acceptable sharpness according to a DOF formula on the f/16 shot actually turn out to be less sharp than the same points in the f/22 shot, or whether diffraction negated that advantage. I'd also be curious to see the distribution of sharpness - the f/16 shot would be sharper in the center than the f/22 shot because of diffraction, and for some zone expanding outward from there. At some point, the greater theoretical DOF at f/22 would overcome the diffraction effect, but it's not clear to me where that would happen.

05-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #249
Pentaxian

As it stands, the only thing I think we're still disagreeing on is the DOF on the hyperfocal end of the spectrum, right?
Correct. And I actually am not disagreeing with anyone; I simply don't *know*, as I have read conflicting information on this. Some sample shots would be enlightening.

QuoteQuote:
I don't agree that you get MORE DOF at the hyperfocal end unless you change lenses and FOV (swap&crop, etc), or allow the FF lens to stop down farther (which seems hardly fair as you won't let the APS-c lens open up farther).
It's not a question of whether I "allow" the APS-C lens to open up further - it either does or it doesn't. But to the extent that no one cares about the other end of the aperture scale, you can "always" stop down more - except of course, when you can't. I don't think anyone would ever have claimed the FF camera could get more (deeper) DOF than APS-C - just that it can *match* the APS-C by stopping down for as long as one would normally care to. but in the cases where one cares to stp down more than one would normally, indeed, FF wouldn't be able to catch up unless the longer focal length required on FF to provide the same FOV meant the lens designer also choose to let the aperture close down farther.
05-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yes, I admit that was hyperbole. I'm still have some intellectual curiosity about whether the DOF in that f/22 shot is *actually* greater than in an f/16 shot - that is, whether the points just outside the zone of acceptable sharpness according to a DOF formula on the f/16 shot actually turn out to be less sharp than the same points in the f/22 shot, or whether diffraction negated that advantage. I'd also be curious to see the distribution of sharpness - the f/16 shot would be sharper in the center than the f/22 shot because of diffraction, and for some zone expanding outward from there. At some point, the greater theoretical DOF at f/22 would overcome the diffraction effect, but it's not clear to me where that would happen.
Ooh, I see what you mean. Interesting question... I'll have to look into that.