Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #1

K-X sand in mode selector wheel

Hello Everyone!

We tried to catch sand movement at some windy day on the beach and pics are great.

Unfortunate propably one sand particle got under wheel selector and you can feel pain when movin wheel around.

I tried to look for some service manual on the web and find out is there possibility to remove wheel and make some cleaning - no results.

I tried to gently shake, blow and all this easy operations by my own without success - is this wheel removable?

I just want to avoid contactin Pentax service as for sure they will charge me for this sand

05-15-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
Not a good idea for you to try to get the wheel off yourself.
Sure Pentax will charge you, but it means saving yourself from potentially ruining your mode dial. Unless you can live with the sand in there...
05-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Look in my album here - K200D Repair - , it is not the same as a K-X, but should be similar. It will give you an idea of what you are up against.
05-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Might it be possible to insert a sheet of paper edge-first to push out the grit? You would have to know which way the switch contacts face so as to avoid damaging them by forcing the paper against their working direction.

05-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
Might it be possible to insert a sheet of paper edge-first to push out the grit? You would have to know which way the switch contacts face so as to avoid damaging them by forcing the paper against their working direction.
Thank you all for reply. It was The Jannie solution that worked brillantly simple!
05-17-2011, 11:09 PM   #6

I'm always in favour of solutions which don't cost money!
02-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Forum Member

I had some trouble with the wheel. Not sand in there but something made it not function right. I just cleaned it with a electro cleaner spray.