Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

K-x Lense focus problem

I'm not sure if this is a camera problem or my problem.
After changing a lens and turning the camera on then pushing the shutter button half way, the focus motor whines and the lens does not focus.
I then press the lens release button, and turn the lens to reseat, sometimes more than once, then all is fine.
Any Ideas what this might be?
Is this common with this camera?
I'm a newbie at this.

Thanks
Mark

05-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by popellis Quote
I'm not sure if this is a camera problem or my problem.
After changing a lens and turning the camera on then pushing the shutter button half way, the focus motor whines and the lens does not focus.
I then press the lens release button, and turn the lens to reseat, sometimes more than once, then all is fine.
Any Ideas what this might be?
Is this common with this camera?
I'm a newbie at this.

Thanks
Mark
The little slot and driver can end up misaligned, I suppose... try just wiggling to focus and see if things snap in to place?

Also, with the lens off, turn the focus ring. Watch the drive slot on the back end of the lens - does that turn? Does the focus ring turn without resistance?

If all that is fine, the problem is with the camera. I've never encountered this... but maybe others have?

*ETA*
Another thought - the camera will refuse to move anything if it doesn't sense an autofocus lens attached. Given that it whines, it's probably detecting one... but it's possible that the lens contacts might be going bad.
05-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I've never encountered this problem. Is it happening on one lens only or other AF lenses as well? This maybe trivial but is the lens mounted all the way (i.e. Release button clicking?). If it's only happening on one lens and happens to be a DA-L kit lens, did you by any chance turn the focusing ring while in AF mode? If so and if it did actually turn while in AF mode, this may have caused mechanical damage (or misalignment) inside the lens, particularly the screw drive.

Last edited by K57XR; 05-15-2011 at 06:34 PM.
05-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
It happens with all the lenses. I checked the lenses and the drive on the camera all looks good. Maybe there is some merit to pushing in the lense button before and while installing the lense.

Thanks K57XR and sgtkashim for your help.

05-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #5

I've had this once with my kitlens, I pressed the lens release button and turned
it a little back and forth haven't experienced again and I do change a lot lenses.