Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x and lens correction

Hi all,

Just trying to get some clarity around when lens correction should be set in the menu. I use a DA40, and will be using my DA 14 more so in the next week or two with a few events planned , as well as the 55-300.

Under which circumstances do you set this to on in the camera - all the time, or only with certain focal lengths?

cheers

05-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
Forum Member

Since it does increase the time it takes for the picture to appear on the screen, I always leave it off. You can always correct it later in PP
05-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

The lens distortion correction can be done in different ways:
- in-camera
- on computer using PDCI or other photo software, or
- on computer using a dedicated a software like PT-lens.

The latter is the most accurate if the lens distortion correction accuracy is essential (eg. engineering, architecture).

Importanly, the lens distortion correction is mostly useful for zoom lenses. There is little if no point to use it with prime lenses.

Lastly the in-camera lens distortion correction does take some CPU and time, sometimes up to 1-2 s after taking a shot. This is unwanted when you want to shoot quickly in succesion including for bursts.

All in all, I prefer to perform the lens distortion correction on computer. More generally, I do not use in-camera PP and prefer to PP all my shots on computer.

Hope that the comments will help.
05-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goldpopper Quote
Under which circumstances do you set this to on in the camera - all the time, or only with certain focal lengths?
I don't think I've ever turned lens correction on since i got my K-x. I prefer doing lens correction during PP.

05-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool, thanks all. Just need to get some software at home that allows me to post process...

cheers
05-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goldpopper Quote
Cool, thanks all. Just need to get some software at home that allows me to post process...
PDCU4 that came with the K-x should be able to do lens correction...
05-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was looking at getting one software package that can handle all my files, as I also have CR2 files from my canon camera. These are edited via Digital photo pro, but it wont work on the raw files form the k-x.
05-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I shoot RAW+ and if I don't require high fps in continuous shooting mode (which is most times for me) I usually leave the lens correction and CA features on.

One less thing to do in PP, potentially, and if I need to do any fancy PP there's the RAW.

I use DXO Optics Pro and Lightroom. Either one is excellent and will handle all your Canon and Pentax RAW file formats.

Does Digital Photo Pro support DNG format RAW files? If it does, the K-x can directly output DNG format RAW files or PEF, so it maybe an option to just tell the K-x to output DNG and stay with DPP.

05-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nope , it doesnt support as far as I can tell from trying. tossing up now between photoshop elements, lightroom and aperture so will do some research.

I might give the lens correction a try until I get the software and see. Not really shooting quick actions scenes at the moment, more architecture .
05-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom 3.4 now support lens correction for most of the Pentax lenses that are still in production, it only works on RAW file though, just so you know.
05-16-2011, 02:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Use distortion correction when you use the kit lens (the 18-55 zoom) at the wide end AND when there are straight lines near the image borders (typically indoors, doors, ceilings etc.). The kit lens has visible barrel distortion at the wide end and that may annoy you. Take some test shots with your DA40 and DA14 and see if the barrel distortion is intolerable.

Use lateral chromatic aberration correction when shooting outdoors in bright light, high contrast scenes and wide apertures.

Otherwise, leave them off. They don't have negative impact on the images, but they slow the camera down. Burst length is reduced to 3 when the corrections are turned on in the K-x.

If this is too much of a mouthful to remember, you may prefer to shoot in raw and deal with it later, as other people have suggested.

Regards,
--Anders.
05-16-2011, 03:09 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I pretty much always have my settings to JPEG+RAW and have been doing that with all pics so eventually I can edit again if needed. Not too concerned about burst speed. But will do some more tests with the 40 this weekend and the 14 next week. Hope to have some good pics to post soon....