Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Shane,
Glad you're enjoying them. I have one Pentax AF-2 and a Nikon AF-1. Excellent units.

Tilt is telling you that you're tilting the head several degrees down. It's quite close to the normal setting for the head so I guess it's like a warning.

The zoom size setting is for the crop factor I believe. There's a complicated explanation in the manual but if it's set to off then the crop factor comes into play, if set on then it doesn't.

Hope this helps.

08-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Hi Shane,
Glad you're enjoying them. I have one Pentax AF-2 and a Nikon AF-1. Excellent units.

Tilt is telling you that you're tilting the head several degrees down. It's quite close to the normal setting for the head so I guess it's like a warning.

The zoom size setting is for the crop factor I believe. There's a complicated explanation in the manual but if it's set to off then the crop factor comes into play, if set on then it doesn't.

Hope this helps.
Hi Michael,
Yup I think procrastinating about some thing I am not sure about achieves nothing, thanks for help.
Might be better of having attitude " If It's Not Broke, Don't Fix It"

Shane
12-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm having a awierd issue with my flash. Cam is set to manual 1/60 f2.8 iso 1600. Flash set to auto and it beeps 3 times wether i take a pic, press a button on it or just leave the cam/flash alone.

Manual says 3 beeps = correct exposure. That doesn't make any sense.

Ideas?

Edit:

There are 2 types of beeps. One, which is much lower in volume. I hear this forinstance when the flash is charged for another exposure. The one I refereed to is much louder, leading me to think it's some sort of warning.

When it's like this then I can't access Paramters - or so it seems, because if I keep pressing the button several times then I eventual do access Parameters - but then I can change anything, like changing the flash EV to -1.

If I change aperture from 2.8 to 3.5 then I can decrease flash EV to -1/3 and no more. If I change aperture to 4 then I can decrease flash EV to -2/3 and so on.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 12-01-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
12-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

*bump*

I'll be needing my flash later today so I'd appreciate some input.

12-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

According to the manual (pg 122-123 for english section) these beeps mean that the aperture & ISO that has been set are outside the allowable range. Even though the camera is set on Manual, the Metz still reads some info from the flash and tries to set things up itself.

You've got your camera set to a slowish shutter speed, wide open aperture and highish ISO. The Metz can't adjust it's light level down to those settings I'm thinking.

Hope this helps.
12-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As this older thread has been revived, let me add a question as well.

I'm curious in which modes the AF-1 / AF-2 support the AF assist. I use the AF540 which, in auto-mode, does not support the AF assist; it does support AF assist in p-TTL, full manual (and obviously SB) modes.

On the K5, this is no biggie, but on the K10D and K100D it is a bit annoying as they don't have their own AF assist.

Shane and/or Michael and/or others that own this flash, can you do me a favour and please check this. I downloaded the manual but don't seem to be able to find that information.

Thanks
12-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
According to the manual (pg 122-123 for english section) these beeps mean that the aperture & ISO that has been set are outside the allowable range. Even though the camera is set on Manual, the Metz still reads some info from the flash and tries to set things up itself.

You've got your camera set to a slowish shutter speed, wide open aperture and highish ISO. The Metz can't adjust it's light level down to those settings I'm thinking.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Michael, It does help. I've been thinking in the same lines however I couldn't tell exactly what or how close or far off from the truth my own suspension was.

My flash beeps 3 times while the manual mentions just a single beep - This must be a typo or lacking update in the manual. I've been having quick looks at where ever the word beep was mentioned, and pretty much skipped unless it has something to do with 3 beeps.

I used the flash in P-TTL mode and the facility were were in had very equal/similar lighting, so I got away with using manual without too much hassle.

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
As this older thread has been revived, let me add a question as well.

I'm curious in which modes the AF-1 / AF-2 support the AF assist. I use the AF540 which, in auto-mode, does not support the AF assist; it does support AF assist in p-TTL, full manual (and obviously SB) modes.
I can't say anything about all of the modes since I'm not that familiar with my AF-2, but I can say for certain that P-TTL will enable AF assist. It went on many times when I was shooting as late as this evening.

Oh, actually there's a mode where only the AF assist beam with be active but not the flash (for situation where you just don't want to use flash or cant). It's the SB mode.

12-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
This must be a typo or lacking update in the manual. I've been having quick looks at where ever the word beep was mentioned, and pretty much skipped unless it has something to do with 3 beeps.
I imagine it's quite possible that perhaps it was 1 beep when the manual was written or translated. Perhaps later firmware changed and the translation never picked it up. Metz is German and I do note once in a while a quite 'not perfect' translation in grammar. I'm not faulting them, their English is much better than any German I know, just once in a while you have to sort of read between the lines.

One thing you could do is actually email Metz themselves. I believe the address is just support@metz.de although you should check on their website.
I have asked them questions before and they actually reply, generally within or around 24 hours later, weekends excepted of course!!
12-02-2011, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Shane and/or Michael and/or others that own this flash, can you do me a favour and please check this. I downloaded the manual but don't seem to be able to find that information.
Thanks
Hi,

I tested the 58 AF-2 on my K20d and the AF assist worked in ALL camera modes when the flash was set to 'Auto'.

The manual does mention that the AF assist is camera dependent.

Hope this helps.
12-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great; thanks for the reply