Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am about to let fly a really silly question. I am looking at this flash on flea bay and the seller states that it samsung TTL. Does this have the same pin config as pentax TTL. I am aware that the gx-20 is same as k20D internally, just some what confused as wether or not the hot shoe is the same. Any help would be great.

05-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The instruction manual for my Metz 58 Af-2 indicates it's for the Pentax/Samsung DSLR with P-TTL/TTL.
Metz doesn't do a version for Samsung only. If you want, send me the link to the ebay auction & I'll have a look as well.
It's not a silly question, especially when it concerns something on eBay or anything that you're going to pay a lot of money (or even a little for).

Michael
05-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
The instruction manual for my Metz 58 Af-2 indicates it's for the Pentax/Samsung DSLR with P-TTL/TTL.
Metz doesn't do a version for Samsung only. If you want, send me the link to the ebay auction & I'll have a look as well.
It's not a silly question, especially when it concerns something on eBay or anything that you're going to pay a lot of money (or even a little for).

Michael
Thank you Michael. The link is METZ 58 AF-2 Digital Camera Flash Gun Samsung TTL Mount (eBay item 230618038390 end time 05-Jun-11 01:11:56 AEST) : Cameras Photo
What is your op on the flash? I like the idea of the front fill flash to which would suit my style of shooting.

Shane
05-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As long as they send you the one for Samsung you should be OK with the Pentax.

I love my Metzs but I'm biased. I have a 58 AF-2 for my Pentax and a 58-AF1 for my Nikon. I also have several of their older handle flashes or potato masher types which work fine although they're about 20-25 years old. What impresses me is that you can STILL purchase battery holders for their 25 year old flash units.

I like the Metz company, I had several questions and I emailed them directly in Germany. Generally within 24 hours I get a reply from their tech support guy.

The front little flash on the unit is mostly to put a catch-light in the eyes, it's only adjustable for 3 power levels. The menu system they use does take a bit of getting used to but the flash is very capable and can do stroboscopic flashing if you want to.

Being able to upgrade the firmware yourself is great. I've upgraded both mine and it was one of the easiest things I've ever had to do. I would suggest though that you download the manual from Metz and study it before you bid or buy it though.

Home: Metz generally takes you to their english site.

Hope this helps.

Michael

05-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As long as they send you the one for Samsung you should be OK with the Pentax.

I love my Metzs but I'm biased. I have a 58 AF-2 for my Pentax and a 58-AF1 for my Nikon. I also have several of their older handle flashes or potato masher types which work fine although they're about 20-25 years old. What impresses me is that you can STILL purchase battery holders for their 25 year old flash units.

I like the Metz company, I had several questions and I emailed them directly in Germany. Generally within 24 hours I get a reply from their tech support guy.

The front little flash on the unit is mostly to put a catch-light in the eyes, it's only adjustable for 3 power levels. The menu system they use does take a bit of getting used to but the flash is very capable and can do stroboscopic flashing if you want to.

Being able to upgrade the firmware yourself is great. I've upgraded both mine and it was one of the easiest things I've ever had to do. I would suggest though that you download the manual from Metz and study it before you bid or buy it though.

Home: Metz generally takes you to their english site.

Hope this helps.

Michael
Thanks Michael Got the manual. I believe this will be the flash for me.
Shane
05-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Shane,
Got that flash yet or is the auction still to be won?
05-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Shane,
Got that flash yet or is the auction still to be won?
Hi Michael,
Won the flash. Waiting for delivery. Only issue is Ebay removed him as a seller. Some dispute. However all is good if Flash does not show in the next 7 days I am covered with pp insurance. Will have to wait and see. Am looking forward for its arrival, will keep you posted.
Shane

05-22-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for letting me know.

Yeah, I know that feeling with ebay. Sometimes you feel that your money might be going into a black hole. However, if you use Paypal and do things properly at least you are covered. Same as a seller too. Luckily the only dispute I ever had as a seller was over something that took a long time to deliver and even there the only reason the buyer raised a dispute was that they didn't realize they were supposed to contact me directly first. Got it resolved and we both departed with great feedback on both sides. A bit of give and take before the name calling starts and generally everything works well WITHOUT the name calling!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions. The Metz aren't for everyone and even I have several criticisms of it.

1 - Menus can be complicated
2 - Backlight isn't as good as the Pentax AF-540. (at least for my 51 year old eyes!!)
3 - The clicks for adjusting the bounce head could be firmer

But, nothing is perfect.

Michael

Michael
06-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for letting me know.

Yeah, I know that feeling with ebay. Sometimes you feel that your money might be going into a black hole. However, if you use Paypal and do things properly at least you are covered. Same as a seller too. Luckily the only dispute I ever had as a seller was over something that took a long time to deliver and even there the only reason the buyer raised a dispute was that they didn't realize they were supposed to contact me directly first. Got it resolved and we both departed with great feedback on both sides. A bit of give and take before the name calling starts and generally everything works well WITHOUT the name calling!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions. The Metz aren't for everyone and even I have several criticisms of it.

1 - Menus can be complicated
2 - Backlight isn't as good as the Pentax AF-540. (at least for my 51 year old eyes!!)
3 - The clicks for adjusting the bounce head could be firmer

But, nothing is perfect.

Michael

Michael
Hi Michael,
Deal feel through. Seller was removed by ebay for an undisclosed reason. After pp dispute got monies refunded. We has now purchased same flash from different seller. Playing the wait and see game. Mind you I think we now know the manual inside out LOL.
Shane
06-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear all that Shane.

I was lucky, my local dealer in Toronto had a Pentax version in stock and the prices had changed such that the Metz is about $150 cheaper than the Pentax AF540.

At least you'll be able to use the flash almost immediately. That's one thing I love about the internet, being able to download manuals for things first. In fact, if the company doesn't offer the manual on-line I'll think twice about purchasing.

Michael
07-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Michael,
Finally got flash. Love it. Only have one issue, not sure what the servo mode is and for what purpose. Athough I dont believe I will have a use for the mode.
Shane
07-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Shane,

Thanks for writing, glad you love the flash.

The servo mode was introduced as a firmware upgrade early this year so the manual probably hasn't been updated.

It's a way of triggering the flash in a simple manual mode by using the built in flash on the camera. The Metz will ignore the pre-flash of the built-in flash and only fire when it sees the main flash. I haven't found much use for it either but I do love the Metz. Menu takes a bit of getting used to but that's OK. It's certainly a versatile unit with more options than I'll use.

Strangely enough, several weeks ago I was using it while touring a pioneer village here in Canada, it was a bright sunny day and I wanted fill flash for outdoors and main flash for indoors. The Pentax P-TTL was quite inaccurate so I switched the flash to the old-fashioned Automatic mode which has been on flashes for 40 years, that mode uses the built in flash photocell without the camera making any flash decisions. Virtually every photo turned out for me in that mode.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know. One more Metz lover out there now!!

Michael
07-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Michael,

TY for reply,
I believe Me has fell in lust with this flash. Perhaps another is on agender. Although I do have a CT Hammer floating around here. It is attached to Mamiya 645, and yes I use it on occasions.
I am some what confused what your last, PTTL is inacurate. The same day you posted I was shooting japanese gardens my location using PTTL HSS. Have just only now processed using Sagelight and Cs5. I Dont think software has made too many changes other then the sharpening I have applied. Not entirely what Sagelight does however it works for me.
Pics are as below;
Settings: K20d grip, ISO 400, EXP 1/4000, Flash PTTL HSS.

Cheers
Shane
Attached Images

07-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lamented bovine Quote
I am some what confused what your last, PTTL is inacurate. The same day you posted I was shooting japanese gardens my location using PTTL HSS.
Hi Shane,

Glad you're enjoying the flash and great photos you took. Thanks for posting.

I have one for my Pentax and the earlier 58 AF-1 for my Nikon.

If the PTTL works for you, then great. I personally found it rather inaccurate for my specific inside shooting at the pioneer village, however, I'm sure it works well for other locations. I expect it's more related to the camera rather than the flash since even in P-TTL mode the flash still just flashes until the camera says 'enough'. I'm glad the Metz allows both PTTL and automatic along with manual. You can choose just what you need.

I haven't really looked at the HSS mode, I'll try that out myself.

I note that you still have an old CT model as I have a couple of CT-5s (well used but still flashing) and a mint CT-1 still in the original box. Let us hope our 58s will last as long as the old CTs.

Michael
08-03-2011, 04:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Shane,

Glad you're enjoying the flash and great photos you took. Thanks for posting.

I have one for my Pentax and the earlier 58 AF-1 for my Nikon.

If the PTTL works for you, then great. I personally found it rather inaccurate for my specific inside shooting at the pioneer village, however, I'm sure it works well for other locations. I expect it's more related to the camera rather than the flash since even in P-TTL mode the flash still just flashes until the camera says 'enough'. I'm glad the Metz allows both PTTL and automatic along with manual. You can choose just what you need.

I haven't really looked at the HSS mode, I'll try that out myself.

I note that you still have an old CT model as I have a couple of CT-5s (well used but still flashing) and a mint CT-1 still in the original box. Let us hope our 58s will last as long as the old CTs.

Michael
Hi michael,
So happy with this flash, me aquired another, much to dismay of better half!!
Have questions ?
1: What is tilt
2: Regardless of lens attached the zoom on flash adds the, I am not sure how to explain, Lets say I put my sig 50mm 1.4 on cam then add flash the zoom on flash states 70mm. The same thing happen with 19-35mm. At 19 flash states 28mm and at 35 flash says 50mm zoom.
Is this a good thing? I kinda think so, I am assuming that flash is calculated for crop factor on sensor?
Cheers
Shane