Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-x spots, but not dust?

I just bought a K-x recently and have used it just a bit so far. I discovered that I have two small spots that appear on all of my pictures and they intensify whatever color is behind them... somewhat. Most end up purple, but lighter colors (white, tan, etc) keep the background color. It doesn't appear to be a dust issue I don't think, but I don't know. Below is a low res example. The second iris is in the upper left quadrant, but it blends in with the tan so I didn't point it out.

I realize these are tiny, tiny flaws that are easily removed, but I paid good money and just because it isn't the top model doesn't mean it should have quality flaws...

05-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use your "Pixel Mapping" feature, should take care of that (looks like a pixel issue)...

Edit: Well, I said a pixel issue, but not as in a "Real Severe Issue". Kind of relatively common, my buddy just bought a new K7 and had that issue, that is why the pixel mapping is implemented...

-------
05-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Use your "Pixel Mapping" feature, should take care of that (looks like a pixel issue)...

Edit: Well, I said a pixel issue, but not as in a "Real Severe Issue". Kind of relatively common, my buddy just bought a new K7 and had that issue, that is why the pixel mapping is implemented...

-------
I love that feature. I bought a PowerShot some years back and it developed a hot pixel almost immediately after the warranty was up. I was pretty much screwed from that point forward with the thing.

When I first bought the K-x, the first couple shots I took I about passed out because the hot pixels were all over the place. Then I RTFM and voila... problem solved for me.
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Those are hot pixels.

Every digital camera I have ever owned has them - point and shoots (3 so far) and DSLR's. If you have only got two on your K-x, your K-x is in near-perfect condition. The pixel-mapping feature on the menu will easily clear those up.

Just be thankful you didn't buy a Nikon. To get those hot pixels fixed up, you'd have to send your camera away to Nikon to be fixed. With Pentax, it's a menu option.

05-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
good news everyone!

I didn't see that in the book when I read it. maybe I should read again...
05-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yup! Hot pixels are common for such devices.
Another option if you don't have the pixel mapping is just to clone it out with Photoshop or any other graphics software..or just leave it alone since it won't show up on the printed photos anyway.