Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
ACR fully supported the K-7 from 5.4 so you ought to be fine.

The most recent version of ACR is 6.3 -
may still be worthwhile updating it -
although I don't think it's the problem.

Hoping this isn't too basic -
these are the steps I use to open DNG (from K-x) with ACR 5.6 via PS Elements 7 -

Open As...> Camera RAW -

When the DNG is open in ACR the right panel shows:

I consider this the "default" setting because it is supposed to be "As Shot" - probably the closest settings to the paired JPG -
I should note this was a shot I took with AWB under a 10 watt soft-white CFL (40watt incandescent equiv) - that's why the color temperature was so low.

The next tab on the same panel shows:

and the last/third tab on that panel is:

Depending on your settings on your K-7 they may be different -
but these were for my K-x settings back on Jan/5/2010.
thanks bud for your time and beautiful graphic illustration.
I exactly have the same setting showing in my ACR 6.0 but still I compare that side by side to ACDSEE preview of the same image and there are not even close. The one in ACR is so washed out....it ruins all the contrast and brightness of the pics. and I don't think pentax software has as many tools as PS to work with... what should I do?

05-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
Banned

Original Poster
is there any way I can post DNG and PS preview file here so you can compare?
05-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
is there any way I can post DNG and PS preview file here so you can compare?
There are two types of image hosting -
traditionally to embed an image in a post requires a host that does "hotlinking" -
the top hosts used to be Photobucket and ImageShack
These have to be visible images like JPGs and GIFs etc.

The photo sharing/hosting sites like Flickr and PicasaWeb -
will also allow hotlinking - so the line between photo sharing and image hosting is blurring -
again these have to be visible images.

But for files like RAW/DNG - these are not regarded by either types of sites as a visible image
(we know they are photos - but they do not display as-is)
- so one has to "host" them on a file-sharing site -
like Mediafire, Keepandshare, 4shared, etc to allow others to download them

To show your PS preview - you could do a screen capture to show us exactly what you see -
I use a tiny program MWsnap to take partial screen shots
like the ones I did in the previous post

Last edited by UnknownVT; 05-18-2011 at 09:04 PM.
05-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #19
Banned

Original Poster
DNG CAMERA RAW 6.5 same file

DNG CAMERA RAW 6.5 same file | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DNG CROP original ACDSEE Preview

DNG CROP original ACDSEE Preview | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

05-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #20
Pentaxian

It looks like ACDsee is favoring exposure whereas ACR is leaning on the conservative side of things(likely for highlight control). Personally, this is purely by preference, given that I prefer to make my own choices on matters of RAW development. However, in the event that you'd want to automate file processing(batches of RAW files) then you might want to tweak your settings a bit.

Having said that, if I don't see any reason why you couldn't tweak ACR to match the default ACDsee RAW processing output. However, I'm not sure how effortless it would end-up being, given the variations in shooting conditions you might meet along the way.

But the good news is that ACR is pretty flexible this way.

And one of the quickest methods I've found to do this(in ACR) is to grab hold of the Point Curve adjustment tool under the Tone Curve Tab(or panel). Which may take a bit of experimentation to get the gist of, but its a very powerful and effective means of adjusting image curves(contrast, shadow and midtone) in one convenient panel.

Taking things further, you can also dial in a bit more detail contrast(sometimes called structure) with the clarity slider, which will also play's on your sharpness values. Though you might want to keep and eye on these as they can often introduce artifacts around highlight edges without you're noticing(or until its too late) and give you a hard time.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak on the power and flexibility of ACR. However, as you may have also noticed, the old adage of added power comes more responsibility holds true and we find intensive training video's on the advanced use of ACR for photographers to be quite common.

But... if you are serious about RAW photography, then I would highly recommend it: lynda.com: Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: Camera Raw 6 Video by Lyndapodcast Free Videos Free Tutorials Free Classes Online

I've taken many of these in the past and often use selective workshops to catch-up on the new features that come with the updates.

JohnB
05-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

To my eye the ACR looks darker - but more saturated -
so washed out probably is the wrong term to use -
it is hard to see even at the maximum size that the image is any softer/less sharp than the one posted for ACDsee.

Hope you don't mind I downloaded both images at their full sizes of 1024 pixels -
cropped out the ACR preview screen shot with just a small part of the ACR screen showing
and cropped the ACDsee shot and resized it to the same height as the ACR preview -

If anything the ACR preview seems to be darker and richer - and being a preview it is also showing the highlight clipping with the red blotches.

But overall I would say to my eyes the ACR is more saturated and contrasty -
and certainly not "washed-out" -
which to me means paler less saturated colors and less contrast.
05-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
Banned

Original Poster
thank you all.