Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Banned

DNG RAW files look washed ou in Photoshop CS5 preview???

Hello Pentaxian,

I'm having a problem with DNG files. They look gorgeous with amazing contrast and brightness in ACDsee preview, but open opening in P-CS5 preview or Photoshop itself, the color fades or perhaps washed out. Also when I convert them to JPEG, they lose their natural contrast and brightness.

Any recommendation?

Thanks,

Dr_romix

05-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It may be possible that you're seeing an unadjusted preview of the file in CS5.
However, I would ask what or where you are seeing this preview from? Bridge? MiniBridge? File>Open>Thumbnail etc?

Anyways, you can assign a RAW profile of your choosing for viewing DNG previews in Bridge by opening a RAW file hitting auto, tweaking things to your liking(remember this is a default so..._) and saving this as your default profile. Then... when you view RAW files in Bridge, you can select(right click) this profile as your default preview profile. <- phew, that's alota profile

Anyways, let me know if this makes sense to you.
Otherwise, I could compile some screenshots.

JohnB
05-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
It may be possible that you're seeing an unadjusted preview of the file in CS5.
However, I would ask what or where you are seeing this preview from? Bridge? MiniBridge? File>Open>Thumbnail etc?

Anyways, you can assign a RAW profile of your choosing for viewing DNG previews in Bridge by opening a RAW file hitting auto, tweaking things to your liking(remember this is a default so..._) and saving this as your default profile. Then... when you view RAW files in Bridge, you can select(right click) this profile as your default preview profile. <- phew, that's alota profile

Anyways, let me know if this makes sense to you.
Otherwise, I could compile some screenshots.

JohnB
thanks bro. still have the same problem.. color washed out in bridge and Camera Raw preview/.
05-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dr_romix Quote
thanks bro. still have the same problem.. color washed out in bridge and Camera Raw preview/.
when you right click a DNG thumbnail in bridge, and select Develop Settings, do you see your new profile? your should, and if you do, then you can select it there. And if you did, does it fix the problem?

05-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
when you right click a DNG thumbnail in bridge, and select Develop Settings, do you see your new profile? your should, and if you do, then you can select it there. And if you did, does it fix the problem?
no I don't see the new profile. can you point out each step again from the opening of Bridge pls?

I opened the bridge and can see my DNG thumbnail in washout quality... so what's next from here?
05-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

no I don't see the new profile. can you point out each step again from the opening of Bridge pls?

I opened the bridge and can see my DNG thumbnail in washout quality... so what's next from here?
Sure no problem.

1. open a RAW/DNG file in Adobe Camera Raw
2. Adjust things the way you like(auto is best for preview profiles)
3. Goto Presets Tab
4. Click on the small menu icon on the right hand side of the Preset pane
5. Select Save as Camera Raw defaults

All done!

If you go back to Bridge and preview your RAW/DNG's you will see them with new settings.Changing these is as easy as making new adjustments and re-saving as default. However, you can also create a new profile(save new profile) and use those as needed. So it's very flexible.

Let me know if this helped.
05-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Sure no problem.

1. open a RAW/DNG file in Adobe Camera Raw
2. Adjust things the way you like(auto is best for preview profiles)
3. Goto Presets Tab
4. Click on the small menu icon on the right hand side of the Preset pane
5. Select Save as Camera Raw defaults

All done!

If you go back to Bridge and preview your RAW/DNG's you will see them with new settings.Changing these is as easy as making new adjustments and re-saving as default. However, you can also create a new profile(save new profile) and use those as needed. So it's very flexible.

Let me know if this helped.
took me a while to adjust what I kindda like as a default setting.. but now it's all good.. you rock bro.. thanks a lot..

also I was wondering if you know how I can attach pics on this page..can I drag and drop JPEG files here as I'm typing up so people can comment on the photos and give me feedback....? thanks again..

05-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

took me a while to adjust what I kindda like as a default setting.. but now it's all good.. you rock bro.. thanks a lot..

also I was wondering if you know how I can attach pics on this page..can I drag and drop JPEG files here as I'm typing up so people can comment on the photos and give me feedback....? thanks again..
Great news!
Glad to hear you got it all worked out.

On the issue of adding images, I think there are a few methods such as adding them as attachments within a post. Though I'm not sure about the size and conditions associated with that.
I prefer to host my own images(webserver) and embed them in a post using the IMG tags found under the "Insert Image" icon at the top of your comment toobar.
But many members here have albums and other services through the forums which seem to work well too so I guess you might be better off looking into each of the options an deciding which would suite you best.

Looking forward to seeing shot images soon!.
JohnB
05-18-2011, 02:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You have to upload your images to some sort of hosting service (Flickr for example) and paste a URL here. And please resist the temptation to post a massive version - it screws the alignment of the page, and at least with Flickr we can click through to the photo page if we want to see a larger version.

Example of a 500-pixel wide image - the chap in the glider is waving as he knew I would be on the ridge:

05-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hello Pentaxian,

I'm having a problem with DNG files. They look gorgeous with amazing contrast and brightness in ACDsee preview, but open opening in P-CS5 preview or Photoshop itself, the color fades or perhaps washed out. Also when I convert them to JPEG, they lose their natural contrast and brightness.

Any recommendation?

Thanks,

Dr_romix
After John's recommendations I've remembered this thing happened to me also, then I found out PS setting for color space was aRGB on default, then I had to play with saturation and contrast a lot. So I suggest checking camera and PS settings to make sure they are both set to sRGB. After doing that everything went swell.
05-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
After John's recommendations I've remembered this thing happened to me also, then I found out PS setting for color space was aRGB on default, then I had to play with saturation and contrast a lot. So I suggest checking camera and PS settings to make sure they are both set to sRGB. After doing that everything went swell.
Good call!

Yes, that could cause problems -
Early version of PS Elements 2 had a very similar problem
where Adobe had to issue a small utility to ignore EXIF color space.

ref: Adobe - Photoshop Elements : For Windows : Ignore EXIF Color Space ...

Looks like it affected PhotoShop 7.0.1 as well:
Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows : Ignore EXIF Color Space utilities

Last edited by UnknownVT; 05-18-2011 at 02:21 PM.
05-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Good call!

Yes, that could cause problems -
Early version of PS Elements 2 had a very similar problem
where Adobe had to issue a small utility to ignore EXIF color space.

ref: Adobe - Photoshop Elements : For Windows : Ignore EXIF Color Space ...

Looks like it affected PhotoShop 7.0.1 as well:
Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows : Ignore EXIF Color Space utilities
I still don't get the real sharpness and saturation the original pic had even when I made my own Default raw profile.. is there any other way to work on the original file? how about pentax software? does it make the same problem to the pic like PS?
05-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I still don't get the real sharpness and saturation the original pic had even when I made my own Default raw profile.. is there any other way to work on the original file? how about pentax software? does it make the same problem to the pic like PS?
hmmm...

Maybe we may need to take a step back -

from which Pentax dSLR DNG files are you using?

Which version of ACR (Adobe Camera RAW)?

I don't have much problems with DNGs from my K-x on ACR -
but then I made sure my ACR was updated to 5.6 for my PS Elements 7 -
5.6 was the earliest version that fully supported the K-x.

But to answer the aside - yes, Pentax DCU (Digital Camera Utility 4) does work very well with Pentax DNGs -
it is the only RAW processor I know of (other than perhaps SilkyPix which Pentax DCU is based on)
that can actually replicate the camera settings -
so it is one of the few that can actually match the paired JPG -

I know who'd want to match the paired JPG?
yeah, but if RAW were so powerful and flexible
- why is it so hard for any other RAW processor to simply match a humble paired JPG?
05-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
hmmm...

Maybe we may need to take a step back -

from which Pentax dSLR DNG files are you using?

Which version of ACR (Adobe Camera RAW)?

I don't have much problems with DNGs from my K-x on ACR -
but then I made sure my ACR was updated to 5.6 for my PS Elements 7 -
5.6 was the earliest version that fully supported the K-x.

But to answer the aside - yes, Pentax DCU (Digital Camera Utility 4) does work very well with Pentax DNGs -
it is the only RAW processor I know of (other than perhaps SilkyPix which Pentax DCU is based on)
that can actually replicate the camera settings -
so it is one of the few that can actually match the paired JPG -

I know who'd want to match the paired JPG?
yeah, but if RAW were so powerful and flexible
- why is it so hard for any other RAW processor to simply match a humble paired JPG?
to Answer to your questions:

1- I take photos with Pentax K7

2- ACR 6.0
05-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

1- I take photos with Pentax K7
2- ACR 6.0
ACR fully supported the K-7 from 5.4 so you ought to be fine.

The most recent version of ACR is 6.3 -
may still be worthwhile updating it -
although I don't think it's the problem.

Hoping this isn't too basic -
these are the steps I use to open DNG (from K-x) with ACR 5.6 via PS Elements 7 -

Open As...> Camera RAW -

When the DNG is open in ACR the right panel shows:

I consider this the "default" setting because it is supposed to be "As Shot" - probably the closest settings to the paired JPG -
I should note this was a shot I took with AWB under a 10 watt soft-white CFL (40watt incandescent equiv) - that's why the color temperature was so low.

The next tab on the same panel shows:

and the last/third tab on that panel is:

Depending on your settings on your K-7 they may be different -
but these were for my K-x settings back on Jan/5/2010.