Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Senior Member
Ivor K Ecks's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 288
DNG codec for Windows

I dont know if anyone has posted this yet.

Adobe has released a DNG codec for Windows

You can download it hereDNG Codec - Adobe Labs

Works on my 64 bit system

Peter

05-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member
RXrenesis8's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando, FL (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 523
Been waiting for this... for about 7 years now.

It certainly took long enough!
05-19-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member
adwb's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bristol UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,632
pity it does not work with xp not all of us want windows 7 and be treated like idiots by Microsoft
05-19-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,667
Well, I run windows 7, Alistair and I don't think I'm an idiot. I think people who refuse to use XP as it is, but use it like it was windows 98 are the idiots. Windows 7 is the easiest OS so far and a lot safer too.

Peter thanks for posting this. I already have it, found in another thread, but upon searching for that other thread, couldn't find it. I wanted the link to be able to post elsewhere on the net. So, thanks.

05-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Well, I run windows 7, Alistair and I don't think I'm an idiot. I think people who refuse to use XP as it is, but use it like it was windows 98 are the idiots. Windows 7 is the easiest OS so far and a lot safer too.

Peter thanks for posting this. I already have it, found in another thread, but upon searching for that other thread, couldn't find it. I wanted the link to be able to post elsewhere on the net. So, thanks.
XP Pro was pretty good with the advent of Vista Ultimate. The fact is that anytime faster hardware comes out, Microsux releases a version of windows that chokes the pig-snot out of it to slow it down. Furthermore, windows idn't used to be the OS, but it assimilated DOS along the way like the Borg.
05-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,667
I started in the computer world with a Mac. When I switched to PCs I wanted one with the ease of use, per se, windows environment, like my Mac had. I waited until win98 came out. Then upgraded to Windows XP Pro, but as a builder now, I can upgrade my systems to match the OS I use. Course the newest one, being over two years old, is too old for Windows 7 but I'm not having any problems except when my standalone 1gb vid card died on me. Though I do have to say that Windows 7 ran fine on the onboard video until I was able to get another PCI-e vid card.

Microsoft does over do it at times, telling folks they need to buy a new computer to run Windows 7, which in some cases is not true. And Windows 7 can be tweaked just like any other OS can be to make it easier to use for those who prefer not to run all the goop attached.

Pre-windows, I have nothing to add. See my first paragraph.

But what tweaks my gullet is those who have upgraded or installed a newer os but want it to run like the older one they're used to using. Why upgrade if that's what they are doing?
05-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I started in the computer world with a Mac. When I switched to PCs I wanted one with the ease of use, per se, windows environment, like my Mac had. I waited until win98 came out. Then upgraded to Windows XP Pro, but as a builder now, I can upgrade my systems to match the OS I use. Course the newest one, being over two years old, is too old for Windows 7 but I'm not having any problems except when my standalone 1gb vid card died on me. Though I do have to say that Windows 7 ran fine on the onboard video until I was able to get another PCI-e vid card.

Microsoft does over do it at times, telling folks they need to buy a new computer to run Windows 7, which in some cases is not true. And Windows 7 can be tweaked just like any other OS can be to make it easier to use for those who prefer not to run all the goop attached.

Pre-windows, I have nothing to add. See my first paragraph.

But what tweaks my gullet is those who have upgraded or installed a newer os but want it to run like the older one they're used to using. Why upgrade if that's what they are doing?
It is really a problem for me both private and professionally to replace thousands of dollars worth of software just because of Gate's Monopoly. Jobs and Gates both are just a couple of software pirates and corporate raiders. Much of the specialized software I have to use has to run on one or the other or both. Otherwise, I would have gone Linux long ago.
05-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member
adwb's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bristol UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,632
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Well, I run windows 7, Alistair and I don't think I'm an idiot. I think people who refuse to use XP as it is, but use it like it was windows 98 are the idiots. Windows 7 is the easiest OS so far and a lot safer too.

Peter thanks for posting this. I already have it, found in another thread, but upon searching for that other thread, couldn't find it. I wanted the link to be able to post elsewhere on the net. So, thanks.
Sorry badly worded , the comment was not aimed at users but at Microsoft who seem to take delight in treating PC users as idiots who are not responsible for their actions.
I object to being treated more and more like a child by the Microsoft software designers who seem to have taken it upon them selves more and more with each successive version of windows to constantly fill the screen with boxes asking you if you are sure you want to carry out a action . I don't need to be asked if I intended to delete something when I press delete, and if I want to down load something I don't need to be asked if I am sure that I want to, if I did not why would I be trying to?
If some one is silly enough to down load something that that they can't trust then they deserve to have the PC hacked or whatever.

05-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,667
Most computer users are like babies, Alistair, they know nothing about what their computers are capable of doing or not doing.

Blue I take it you're a linux user? And tell me which corporation isn't like Microsoft and Apple. Most are, look at your phone companies.

I knew I should have keep my mouth shut on this issue. It comes around every time I turn around, so the above is all I'm going to say on this subject for the next year. All of this is my opinion only and not meant as a diatribe to anyone else's opinion.
05-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 49
The FastPictureViewer Codecs are a fair option if you use more than just DNG.
05-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 49
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
If some one is silly enough to down load something that that they can't trust then they deserve to have the PC hacked or whatever.
Maybe, but who actually gets blamed for it? Microsoft - they're the one's who suffer from the inadequately explained statistics put out by the press. For example, most infected != least secure, especially when you have 85-90% market share. There are probably more stupid windows users at home getting their PCs infected from warez/porn/phishing sites and malware downloads than there are home users of every kind of every other OS combined.

Last edited by gooberlx; 05-19-2011 at 12:31 PM.
05-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Most computer users are like babies, Alistair, they know nothing about what their computers are capable of doing or not doing.

Blue I take it you're a linux user? And tell me which corporation isn't like Microsoft and Apple. Most are, look at your phone companies.

I knew I should have keep my mouth shut on this issue. It comes around every time I turn around, so the above is all I'm going to say on this subject for the next year. All of this is my opinion only and not meant as a diatribe to anyone else's opinion.
Unfortunately, Linux is limited in much of the professional world. No, MS isn't like "most" corporations. Ma Bell and AT&T got busted up. MS has assimilated almost every thing PC related. For example, when WordPerfect went under, that was the final nail. I already mentioned the assimilation of DOS into Windows.

I have been and Adobe user for a long time, but they are getting more and more like the M.S. model. They don't want anyone using CS3.
05-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Nass's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The British Isles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,251
Halle bloody lujah

Free Adobe DNG codec for Windows 7 64bit: DNG Codec - Adobe Labs

In labs at the moment, but I installed it and it lets me see the thumbnails. happy days.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adobe, camera, codec, dng, dslr, photography, windows
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Displaying DNG thumbnails in Windows XP ericc Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 39 12-14-2012 02:30 AM
RAW preview codec that actually works! alohadave Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 28 09-27-2010 07:03 PM
raw codec Panache Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 02-06-2010 11:51 PM
Windows users: upgrading to windows 7? bonovox General Talk 56 11-09-2009 07:55 AM
View DNG Thumbnails in Windows Explorer clmonk Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 11-03-2009 06:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top