Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
WHY CANIKON and the Canikonitus disease

Apart from the obvious why is there so many users of these Cameras.

I Had a shot of a D90 I think and did not get on with it at all build quality was rubbish and the ergonomics terrible compared to the K7 that I eventualy plumped for.

Is it just a branding advertisement issue or is there something else.

When a freind of mine saw I went Pentaxian over Nikonion he poo pooed my choice.

so is there any insider reason why the prolification on Canikonitus

05-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Pentax doesnt have a flag-ship camera in the Professional range.
It does well in the entry level and pro-sumer, and although the K5 pushes the boundary of pro-sumer > professional, it;s still not considered to be in that same realm as the 1d etc.
At least thats my take on it....
05-20-2011, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Pentax doesnt have a flag-ship camera in the Professional range
have either of you heard of the 645D?

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-20-2011 at 07:15 AM.
05-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

All I ever read is don't buy Pentax because they don't have a range of long fast glass ... which is correct.

Mind you, you could probably count on one hand the number of those people that actually own such lenses.

05-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes mike, I'll agree with you on that point, I have yet to come across an pentax equivalent to my Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR - or my Canon EF200mm f/1.8

But then again - no other manufacturer has anything like the DA and FA limiteds.
05-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think that it is link to DSLR history : Canikon produced some great advance product at the time that were considers as pionners (1D, 5D, D3x, etc ... for exemple) , now, outsiders have some good advance product too. But Canikon had built a reputation with it, and they still have some advance. There is the fact that beginners buy more Canikons, and when they upgrade, they don't change, because they truely believes that Canikons is better that the rest of the whole world (sometimes, even better than Leica :') )
05-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Causes of Canikonitis:

1) Aggressive marketing
2) Ubiquitous presence

What can PenHoya do?

3) Spend lots of money

Unless Carlos Slim buys HoyaTax as a spare-time project, money will not be spent on marketing and presence. So the current game-plan will remain in effect: grow slowly. Maybe Pentax WILL be the #1 brand again in another decade. How long can we wait?

05-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter

The D90 sensor is probably one generation ahead of the K-7. The D90 autofocus ability is probably 1.5-2.5 generations ahead of the K-7. The both sell for similar used prices. The D90 is also ahead of the game in flash control and flash exposure.

No matter how good the sensor, AF, or flash, you can't buy any Nikon lenses that compare to the DA and FA limiteds (with perhaps an exception given to the 85/1.8). But if you love zooms and feel that in-lens stabilization is ideal, then the D90 can be a good fit for you. There are other lenses in the system that make a whole lot of sense to own from a value or IQ perspective.

There are two sides to this coin. As you rightly point out, Pentax ergonomics are quite good, and the D90 comes up short on build. Also, even if Nikon made a lens like the DA40 it still wouldn't have stabilization. And the K-7 is WR where the D90 is not. etc etc.

Bottom line: there are good reasons to prefer each over the other.

Last edited by Aegon; 05-20-2011 at 07:56 AM.
05-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually use four different makes of DSLR: Canon- 1DsMKIII,1D MKIIN,20D. Nikon- D3s, D300s Pentax- K-7 and K10D. Leica- M8 and M9.

i'm actually selling off the canon - because ergonomically canon cameras are at odds with the Pentax and Nikon cameras I own....and ergonomically Leica is in another world entirely.
05-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Canon and Nikon both have features and glass that are better than Pentax. Pentax is relatively speaking the "value for money" player out of those three. There, I said it. Aneurisms to follow.

In all serious, that doesn't mean that individual components within the Pentax chain arn't better than individual components within either Canon or Nikon. And vice-versa. Horse for courses.

But to judge anyone by the brand they carry makes about as much sense as thinking Leica users must all be amazing photographers. Where's that hilarious video again, of that Leica carrying dude shooting with a lenscap on?

=)
05-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Two words: MARKETING and DISTRIBUTION. Pentax has virtually zero marketing and virtually zero presence in the big B&M stores.
05-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
to judge anyone by the brand they carry makes about as much sense as thinking Leica users must all be amazing photographers.
funny thing is I have seen some outstanding work done using Konica Hexar Rangefinders - which are commonly referred to as what the Leica M7 should have been.
05-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Not sure what goes on elsewhere in the world, but in the US, what drives market choice is largely based on advertising presence. Both C & N have allocated huge budgets on TV and print media coverage. And it's probably true that retailers demand kickbacks for allotting shelf/floor space and that perhaps Pentax considers this verboten.

This all is likely only one aspect of why Pentax doesn't have the recognition we here believe it should. I just don't think consumers bother too much with what the "pros" use. Having more professional equipment won't amount to much. If that were the case we'd see more amateurs carrying 2 or 3 cameras and lugging 2-foot long lens beasts to shoot a birthday party!
05-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Digitalis, how on earth can you afford such a setup?
05-20-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Canon and Nikon both have features and glass that are better than Pentax. Pentax is relatively speaking the "value for money" player out of those three. There, I said it. Aneurisms to follow.

In all serious, that doesn't mean that individual components within the Pentax chain arn't better than individual components within either Canon or Nikon. And vice-versa. Horse for courses.

But to judge anyone by the brand they carry makes about as much sense as thinking Leica users must all be amazing photographers. Where's that hilarious video again, of that Leica carrying dude shooting with a lenscap on?

=)
I would say more that Pentax is a niche player, a photographer's camera company. For whatever reason, they have focused on weather sealing, compact size (both with regards to lenses and camera bodies).

Truthfully, Canon and Nikon both offer cheaper lenses than Pentax, although sometimes quality suffers a little bit as a result.

I think Canon/Nikon both have better marketing machines, pay high end photographers to use their gear and have better placement in stores (at least in the United States). There is definitely a perception out there that "real photographers" use Nikon or Canon. Not that I hear that from professionals, more from the masses who don't really know what they are talking about.