Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K200D not able to connect to PC through USB cable

I just got an used K200D and it is set to USB = PC under the menu setup and I still can't make the connection to transfer the images to my PC through the USB port.

The previous owner never transfered images through USB port so he doesn't know whether it worked or not. The camera has only 8,000 actuations on it and it looks like new.

I use the same cable on my K10D and PC and it works. The cable is the genuine one from my K10D as I no longer have the one that came with the K200D.

I'm sure it's not the memory card since when I connect it through a card reader it works fine and I have no problem saving/deleting images from it.

So it leaves me to 2 possibilities.

1. The usb cable for K200D and K10D are two different types. Can someone confirm or negate?

2. The micro-usb jack on my K200D is somehow broken. Anyone had that issue before?

I personally prefer transferring my images through the USB cable but in the worst case I still can use the alternative way which is to transfer it through a card reader...

05-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The USB port is known to be weak on Pentax DSLRs. I don't know why yours didn't connect though. Either it's physically broken, or it needs the Pentax software to be loaded. I have never connected mine as I use a card reader.
05-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #3

Have you tried : Menu -> Set-up -> USB Connection -> PC ?
05-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jieffe Quote
Have you tried : Menu -> Set-up -> USB Connection -> PC ?
Yes, I did. This is my 4th Pentax DSLR body (don't ask me why ). I currently have the K100D, K10D, K20D and K200D. Only the K200D is giving this problem.

05-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The USB port is known to be weak on Pentax DSLRs. I don't know why yours didn't connect though. Either it's physically broken, or it needs the Pentax software to be loaded. I have never connected mine as I use a card reader.
I currently use LR3 and Aperture 3 for MAC and none of them can see it when I connect it through the USB part. Card reader works just fine.

I will download the Pentax software and see if it works or not but my guess is the USB port on my K200D is broken.
05-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's unlikely a compatibility issue with the cable. I have a K200D and use the cable that came with my K110D to transfer pictures. What operating system are you using?
05-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi, duc,
I broke a usb connector (in the camera) by accidentally pulling it.
Damage is not visible.
Now I have a heavy key tag on the camera end of the cable as a reminder when i pick up the camera
05-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joebob Quote
It's unlikely a compatibility issue with the cable. I have a K200D and use the cable that came with my K110D to transfer pictures. What operating system are you using?
I'm on MacOSX 10.6.7 (latest). I have 2 macbook pro and they both don't recognize my K200D when plugged through the USB port. I guess my USB port on the K200D is broken. I see no visible dammage though.

05-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
+1 from me.
05-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I'm on MacOSX 10.6.7 (latest). I have 2 macbook pro and they both don't recognize my K200D when plugged through the USB port. I guess my USB port on the K200D is broken. I see no visible dammage though.
The last thing to try is to check the Firmware and see if there are updates that address the issue.
05-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Can't help you there. But if you know someone who has a PC running windows, you could try that. Once plugged in, windows should see the camera as soon as you turn it on.
05-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #12

On the mac side, I had to install the pentax SW package to get the drivers. On the PC, it worked without drivers.
05-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joebob Quote
Can't help you there. But if you know someone who has a PC running windows, you could try that. Once plugged in, windows should see the camera as soon as you turn it on.
QuoteOriginally posted by markdesmarais Quote
On the mac side, I had to install the pentax SW package to get the drivers. On the PC, it worked without drivers.
Thanks, guy. I'll try to find a PC to test and report back. However, I really don't think it's the problem since all my other Pentax DSLR bodies work on my Macs.
05-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
The last thing to try is to check the Firmware and see if there are updates that address the issue.
Hi Rick - my K200D has the the firmware 1.01 installed which is the latest one.
05-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, guys. This is getting really intriguing and interesting. I just took my PC laptop from work, it runs on WindowsXP with latest SP and patches.

When I plug my K200D to the laptop through the USB, the laptop sees the device, set it as a "Mass storage device" and allocates it as drive E which is fine. Now the funny part is:

1. The top LCD of the K200D doesn't show "PC" sign which it should when connected with a PC. It simply shows the typical information such as shutter speed, ISO, etc....

2. Now on the laptop, I open the Windows Explorer, it sees the Drive E but when I click on it, Windows pops up "Please insert a disk into Drive E" I'm baffled!

This tells me that the USB port on K200D is probably working but the software on the K200D is probably not.

I'll keep playing and report back any progress.