Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where is the time for photo's

Kids, job, chores - Where do I get the time for taking pictures!

Since I've gotten my camera I've had really just a single chance to use it, a couple of times I've taken it out to capture my son, but that is a happy bi-product of owning the camera.

So, advice, acedotes personal preference? How does everybody make time for taking pictures?

05-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would expect that there are many answers to this and most depend on personal situations and I think location. This year I've been shooting every day doing a picture a day challenge here on this forum. It's a grind. I find that a lunch time or when I get home from work are times that I can do a little photography. On weekends I try to get out doing things and try to work my photography into what I'm doing. Occasionally I'll plan a photo shoot but this is more rare than I'd like. Of course during a vacation, that's time to do a lot of photo work.

One thing you can do is to always have your camera with you. I started this in 2009 and it's helped because having it around makes it possible to get those unexpected unplanned shots that just happen sometimes.
05-21-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's a priority for me as I am studying to go pro. It's really not easy some days. I'm the go to person in my household and with my whole family really but I always try to make some time every other day even if it means I have to turn off the phone for an hour and steal away leaving stuff I have to do undone. I get some irritation when people want me for this or that, but I don't care. It's just something I have to do. One thing I've learned since I picked up a camera seriously? If you give them half a chance someone will always step up and find you something to do besides what you want to be doing.

I've almost given up on extracurricular activities actually to be able to find the time. I don't watch much video except for photography stuff. I don't read as much unless it's photography related etc. I take a camera with me about 75% of the time just in case. It's important so I make the time.

It's not making me popular doing that, but I'm doing what I have to.
05-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
One thing you can do is to always have your camera with you.
This is basic. ALWAYS have a camera with you. Whether or not I'm carrying the K20D (which is as much as possible) I will ALWAYS have a P&S in my pocket. I have a no-skid pad at the edge of my car dashboard, with my K20D positioned as I drive, so that I can always stop and shoot. Walking around (other than in my boring home locale) I have the K20D over my shoulder or around my neck or at least in my carry-bag.

[I was going to say that if you don't have a camera on your person, you aren't a photographer. That is incorrect. Some noted photographers never touch a camera, just set up lighting and positions, and let flunkies handle the sh!t-work. But that's on another level.]

Yesterday my lens-of-the-day was a 162mm enlarger lens on bellows and tubes, set for non-macro photography, with focus from 20cm to infinity. I shot from the car window, and walking on the street. I wandered inside a craft-antique retail warehouse, shooting artifacts and grab-portraits. I shot cloudscapes and cityscapes. And with my P&S, I shot panos to stitch together. I always watched for shots. Whenever my hands weren't otherwise occupied, I shot.

All that is grab-shooting. Planned shooting requires a bit more... well, planning. If you have a picture in mind that you want to create, allocate the time for it. Say your regular commute takes you past some picaresque scene. Give yourself the time to stop and compose and shoot. To FORCE yourself to take the time to make a picture, use a tripod. Do whatever it takes to slow yourself down, stop moving, concentrate on images. Use the camera as a tool (and excuse) for useful meditation.

Last edited by RioRico; 05-21-2011 at 09:57 AM.
05-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If your commute takes 15 minutes to get from point a to point b, give yourself 30. You can grab shots either on the way to your location or to kill time once you get there.

I have a surprising number of shots taken around or into my job because I do this.
05-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In good light it only takes 1/1000 of a second.
05-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I work nights, lots of overtime, and have a long commute each day. I try to shoot as much as I can. There are days where it just isn't possible but as others have mentioned, carry your camera and get a few shots off when you see something. I sometimes don't get to upload and do PP until my day off.

05-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You can free up a lot of time by avoiding on-line forums.
05-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
You can free up a lot of time by avoiding on-line forums.
So true! I have given up a number of online activities for just that reason. This forum is not one of them though!
05-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
If your commute takes 15 minutes to get from point a to point b,
Then you are obviously not commuting in New Jersey !
But really, point well taken. If your only sure time out is the commute then add extra
time and take shots along the way. Interesting architecture, unique store fronts or
push carts, flowering cherry trees, whatever. Click. Click. Click.
05-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
If your only sure time out is the commute then add extra
time and take shots along the way.
+1 My life circumstances changed (definitely for the better), but one of the things that got lost was my photography time. Now, I carry my camera with me every day and shoot what I experience during my commute to work. Shoot what's available to you. Years ago, I attended a stock photography workshop. The instructor told a story about a woman who was lamenting the fact that she couldn't get out and shoot as often as she liked, so she didn't think she could compete in the stock market. The instructor asked her where she worked and she replied that she worked in a daycare center. The instructor told her that she was sitting on top of one of the most marketable picture categories...kid pics...and she had access that very few people enjoyed. All she needed to do was take advantage of what was available to her. I once shot an interview with a famous painter who said something that has stuck with me over the years. He said, "Beauty is wherever you are, if you're willing to accept it."
05-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sometime we have to get out of the inside the box and determine to sit on the outside of it and see the world we live in with enlightened eyes.

When one "sees" with enlightened eyes, we can then "see" many photographic opportunities and capture them.

Regards
05-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote

Since I've gotten my camera I've had really just a single chance to use it, a couple of times I've taken it out to capture my son, but that is a happy bi-product of owning the camera.

So, advice, acedotes personal preference? How does everybody make time for taking pictures?
Why don't shoot kids, job and shores?
Never go anywhere without the camera.
05-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote

I guess this will solve time for taking pictures problem, just helps you take your camera wherever you go. I recommend messenger small for beginning.