Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch-in-focus & burst

I use Catch-in-focus with MF lenses. It is a nice feature (of my K-7). I also use a lot of Hi continuous shooting (bursts). With the 5.2 fps burst rate and a good buffer size, the K-7 is excellent.

Recently, I tested Catch-in-focus combined with Hi continuous shooting. I was presently surprised to be able to shoot bursts. Since I shoot a lot of dynamic motion (waves, rivers,waterfalls, fountains, surfing breakers, ....), this opens new possiblities...

Question No. 1: are there other Pentaxians using Catch-in-focus & bursts together ? If yes, could you share your experience and tricks?

Question No. 2: With Hi continous shooting and Catch-in-focus, the burst stops as soon as the focus indicator is off. Is there a way to continue/force the burst after the focus indicator is off?

Thank you in advance for your input and sharing your experience....

05-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have used catch in focus for sports shooting for a couple of years. When my daughter raced crew in college, I would burst shoot the finish of the race and if I happened to be using one of my MF lenses, it was catch in with burst. It will work fine as long as the subject is in focus enough for the AF sensor to allow the shutter to fire. In crew regattas, almost every race the boats are parallel to the shoreline so the focus distance doesn't change much to interfere with getting a burst.

This past winter, I shot some motorcycle ice racing. I positioned myself on turn 4 and aimed the camera at turn 3 and fired bursts with the bikes coming at me. I used my M300/4 for the first time at this event and got some very good results using catch in and burst mode. Usually only a 3 shot burst but I had just as many keepers with the M300 as I did with the 70-300 AF lens I also shot with that day. I used the 70-300 a little more because 300mm was a little bit longer than I needed for many of the shots. Here's the link to my Picasa collection of the races. As I mentioned, not all were with the M and catch in focused but the technique works with a little practice.
https://picasaweb.google.com/reeftool/2011LakeGeorgeMotorcycleATVIceRaces#
05-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

My K20D works a little differently. It has Continous Hi (3 fps) and Lo (2.3 fps) modes, and Burst mode (21 fps, 1.6mpx JPG). I have used CIF with both Continuous modes but not with Burst mode. I usually avoid stuff that's moving so fast. A carny is in town; maybe I should try shooting a roller-coaster.
05-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Reeftool: thank you for sharing your experience and your tips.
Riorico: interesting; I did not realise that the K20D had 3 modes, compared to Hi/Lo continuous shooting in the K-7/K-5.

05-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Riorico: interesting; I did not realise that the K20D had 3 modes, compared to Hi/Lo continuous shooting in the K-7/K-5.
I think that K5/K7 video probably makes the K20D 21fps burst mode redundant. I guess I was thrown by referring to Continuous modes as Burst. Language slippage? But my old Sony DSC-V1 has Burst16 and Burst3 modes. So I guess bursts, like subjects and riches, are where you find them.
05-23-2011, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
Hello

I rarely use the catch in focus but I've got a method for you how you can force to shoot pictures after the subject is out of focus.

First change the value of "AF Button Function" to 2 "Cancel AF". That setting can be found on the second tab of the custom settings in menu.

And here's how you override the catch in focus:
As soon as the camera starts to take pictures (when the subject is in focus) hit the AF button with your thumb. Pushing the AF button overrides the catch in focus and the camera keeps shooting pictures.

This method might need some practise but it's the only way I know how to override the catch in focus.

Also you can use the AF button when the camera has trouble focusing and your in a situation where you need a picture taken right away. with a push of the AF button you can override the autofocus and take a photo right away.
05-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by z-nous Quote
here's how you override the catch in focus:
As soon as the camera starts to take pictures (when the subject is in focus) hit the AF button with your thumb. Pushing the AF button overrides the catch in focus and the camera keeps shooting pictures.

This method might need some practise but it's the only way I know how to override the catch in focus.
Z-nous,
Thank you for the suggestion. As I am trying to replicate your suggestion, I come up with some question:
1a- what do you call the AF button?
-1b is it the Focus mode lever ? On the K-7, in front, left side, selection between MF, AF.S and AF.C ?

2-what do you mean by 'hit the AF button with your thumb'? Push ? Select a particular mode?

Thank you for the clarification.
05-24-2011, 04:15 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Z-nous, Thank you for the suggestion. As I am trying to replicate your suggestion, I come up with some question: 1a- what do you call the AF button? -1b is it the Focus mode lever ? On the K-7, in front, left side, selection between MF, AF.S and AF.C ? 2-what do you mean by 'hit the AF button with your thumb'? Push ? Select a particular mode? Thank you for the clarification.
1 a & b
the AF button is located on the back of the camera. It's "on top" of the focus point selector switch(Auto, Sel, . ). Just above the LV button. There is text AF on the button. It's not the switch on the left side of the camera which lets you choose the focus mode from Manual focus, AF.S or the AF.C

2. I mean that you push the AF button. There is no need to have any particular mode selected, because the AF button just cancels auto focus.

When you set the "AF button function" to "2 Cancel AF" means that when you push the AF button, the camera will cancel autofocus.

I hope that I managed to explain this understandable. If you have any guestions I'm more than happy to help.

05-24-2011, 04:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I use Catch-in-focus with MF lenses. It is a nice feature (of my K-7). I also use a lot of Hi continuous shooting (bursts). With the 5.2 fps burst rate and a good buffer size, the K-7 is excellent.

Question No. 2: With Hi continous shooting and Catch-in-focus, the burst stops as soon as the focus indicator is off. Is there a way to continue/force the burst after the focus indicator is off?

Thank you in advance for your input and sharing your experience....
There is in fact a very direct option. The K-7 has more advanced external setting options than my K200D, so you will have to consult your manual for details but in my case it goes as follows:

Go to the Customs Menu and enter Menu Item 12: "OK button when shooting". In that menu select Sub-menu Item 4: "Cancel AF".

With this setting, I can override Catch-in-focus and activate the shutter in all situations - also during continous shooting - when I press the shutter release with my index finger and the OK button with my thumb.

This is quite convenient, for example, when I shoot birds in flight with MF lenses.
05-25-2011, 01:25 AM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Stone G. and Z-nous
I thank you both for your comments. I did a few try with my K-7 and a MF Zeiss 85mm.

*Z-nous' trock works fine: by pushing the AF button during a Hi-countinuous sequence + Catch in focus, the sequence can continue even if out of focus.

*I tried the K-7 custom menu 13 AF button function and select Cancel Focus. I am afraid it does not work: the Hi-continusous sequence + Catch in focus stops as soon as the object is out of focus.

Maybe I used a wrong menu but I could not get it work with m K-7.

Any further comments/input is always welcome...
05-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Stone G. and Z-nous
I thank you both for your comments. I did a few try with my K-7 and a MF Zeiss 85mm.

-------

*I tried the K-7 custom menu 13 AF button function and select Cancel Focus. I am afraid it does not work: the Hi-continusous sequence + Catch in focus stops as soon as the object is out of focus.

Maybe I used a wrong menu but I could not get it work with m K-7.

Any further comments/input is always welcome...
Well, I am not familiar with the K-7 but I downloaded the manual. As I said, you have more external buttons to play with than I have, and I strongly suspect that you forgot(?) to press the AF-button to override CIF. (Button 19 in the diagram below):

Am I right or wrong?