Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New to SLR's Need some advice :P

It was a very hard choice to make, being new to all this. Yeah I had amature cameras. But this time I was in the market for something professional.

So I chose a Digital Pentax KD 10 camera.

With Fort McMurry climate being fridget cold and very dusty in the summer. I needed a camera that will put up with crazy climate.

I got a DA Zoom 18mm-55mm F3.5-F5.6 AL Lens with the package. Plus I bought an extra lense.. smc PENTAX-FA J Zoom 75mm - 300mm f/4.5 - f/5.8 AL

I am looking for an excellent marco lense and a portrat lense, plus an extra light for my camera.

With christmas coming soon I like to take the best pics with my camera. It is so dark and drery during winter here.

ABCWinter (Laurie : )

11-06-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

I guess the Sigma 70mm macro should do nice double duty as macro and portrait lens. Unless you prefer shorter FL for portrait (FA 50 macro) or longer (Tamron 90mm, Pentax 100mm, Voigtlander 125mm). For flash Id recommend the AF540 or the Sigma flash.

And welcome to the forum
11-06-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

PS> Pretty much all the macro lenses have very good image quality. Use your two existing zooms and test the different focal lengths I mentioned and determine which one you are most comfortable with as a portrait lens.

And remember for macro that a longer focal length means you can have the lens further away from the subject and still get 1:1 representation. Some people dont like a 50mm macro for living bugs for the reason that you have to go pretty close. If you dont mind then the 50mm is cheaper and a very good lens.
11-06-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm no big fan of the FA J 75-300 on the long end, but down at the 75mm end it's not all that bad a lens to do casual portraits with. Here's one I did, and forgive the cheesy PSP XI effect around the edge:

The 75 focal length is about right, and you can at least use it to play around with shooting portraits until you make up your mind what lens you want to get to use instead.