Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 03:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10d shutter count.....

Hi all im looking at buying a Pentax K10d ond ebay. It has 7764 shutter actuations on it.Is this a low count for the camera? What count does yours have?

Thanks-Simon.

05-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not the owner of a K10d but I don't think this shutter count is anything to worry about. There should be more than enough life in this 'old' beast!
05-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
The shutter count gets reset at each 10000 shots. I believe I reset it twice on my K10D and it still works great. Make sure you read the actual shutter count from the EXIF file of a new image, not the number from the image filename - there are tools for reading the EXIF data that someone else may recommend - I never used them, I just know they exist.
05-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
there are tools for reading the EXIF data that someone else may recommend
I use the Exif Viewer extension to Firefox for quick looks and ExifTool if I want to do some editing. I have never seen the actual serial id for an exposure in the Exif from my K10D, but that does not mean it is not there.

Steve

05-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...I have never seen the actual serial id for an exposure...
Found it! The exposure count is stripped by Lightroom on export, but is in the original RAW file. Mine is 10,000 + the current image number + 105. Yes, + 105...go figure...

Steve

(ShutterCount field in the MakerNotes section)
05-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m3hxe Quote
Hi all im looking at buying a Pentax K10d ond ebay. It has 7764 shutter actuations on it.Is this a low count for the camera? What count does yours have?
My 3.5 year old K10D has over 30K+ shutter actuations and is still going strong, so 7764 isn't too bad and it sounds like the owner hasn't taken an awful lot of photos with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The shutter count gets reset at each 10000 shots. I believe I reset it twice on my K10D and it still works great. Make sure you read the actual shutter count from the EXIF file of a new image, not the number from the image filename - there are tools for reading the EXIF data that someone else may recommend - I never used them, I just know they exist.
The filename count clocks over at each 10000 shots but the shutter count doesn't clock over. The K10D names it's files IMGPxxxx or _IGPxxxx (where xxxx is the file number) depending on which colour space the camera is set to use, so when you get to IMGP9999, the next photo is either IMGP0000 or IMGP0001, I'm not 100% sure which one it is, but that doesn't change the fact that you've added 1 to the actual shutter count, not taken away 10000. That is why looking at the filename of a photo from a camera is not a very accurate way of determining shutter actuations.

I use photome and it does list the shutter count as a data field. Exiftool also does it, but I prefer the GUI of photome.

Last edited by pop4; 05-23-2011 at 09:47 PM.
05-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, + 105...go figure...
I believe that's because you can trigger the shutter for other operations, although I forgot which - darkframe subtraction for long exposures maybe? The counter accounts for any shutter operation, not only for those resulting in saved images.

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
The filename count clocks over at each 10000 shots but the shutter count doesn't clock over.
Agree. I didn't call it filename count, because most people will instinctively call it shutter count. Thanks for clarifying.

05-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #8

I have two K10s, each bought used in the past year. Photome tells me that one is approaching 10k and the other 7k so they may outlive me!
05-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

PhotoMe tells me that my latests picture with my K200D (: "Budget version" of the K10D)was at shutter count 36,359. So, I would consider 7,764 a very modest count and would not worry about that. If otherwise OK, the K10D still today reamains a very capable camera in my view!