Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
Marc, then how about the pentax's raw conversion software? Is it a good one to use then the lightroom?
I haven't really used either enough to comment. LR has a great reputation for noise reduction, though. I use ACDSee Pro, which I like for various reason, but it's noise reduction is not as sophisticated as LR's.

05-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #17

Location: Redwood Valley, Nor*Cal (97--)/Pocatello,ID (90-97)/SoCal Born&Raised(71-90)
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenRGuy Quote
I have a K7 and have complained about noise in low light, but after reading a zillion posts, have changed my mind. I love the K7 compared to my K100D. The sound and feel makes me "feel" like a pro. One thing I gleaned for the zillion posts, is that this camera is a Pro-sumer camera. It's not a point and shoot. I have been reading and reading and have found that if you understand how the camera works with light and exposure and after a lot of practice ,am starting to figure it out. Adam posted a high ISO fix that works quite well. Just do a quick search.
Love your K7! I do!! Play with it a lot!!
I did a search for that on here, but got a ton of pages, could you point me in the right direction to that fix? Thanks! I have just had mine for about a week now and I LOVE my K-7! I am fairly new to the SLR World, but to pick up this camera says quality, a sense I didn't get on the Canon' or Nikon's at the same price, I'm sure it has it's shortcomings but I am going to try to concentrate on it's strengths, and enjoy what I have. It seems many in the world today are so caught up in what they don't have that they never enjoy what they do have, and being a Computer/CellPhone/Tech,etc. Geek it's VERY easy to get caught up in that, let me tell you. As I progress, I may change models, or not, I will see where it all takes me, and my K-7 will be there for at least a few years.

Last edited by SoCalRailRoadGuy; 05-23-2011 at 10:26 PM.
05-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I haven't really used either enough to comment. LR has a great reputation for noise reduction, though. I use ACDSee Pro, which I like for various reason, but it's noise reduction is not as sophisticated as LR's.
The NR in LR3 seems to be very nice. I played with it a bit the other day, and it doesn't seem to obscure much detail at low levels. I was impressed; it wasn't very good at all in LR2.
05-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have to lean how to use play around raw softwares to see which one suits me well.

05-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by SoCalRailRoadGuy Quote
I did a search for that on here, but got a ton of pages, could you point me in the right direction to that fix? Thanks! I have just had mine for about a week now and I LOVE my K-7! I am fairly new to the SLR World, but to pick up this camera says quality, a sense I didn't get on the Canon' or Nikon's at the same price, I'm sure it has it's shortcomings but I am going to try to concentrate on it's strengths, and enjoy what I have. It seems many in the world today are so caught up in what they don't have that they never enjoy what they do have, and being a Computer/CellPhone/Tech,etc. Geek it's VERY easy to get caught up in that, let me tell you. As I progress, I may change models, or not, I will see where it all takes me, and my K-7 will be there for at least a few years.
I'm not sure if this is the right way to point you in the right direction, but I copied the following:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-is...ml#post1097828
05-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #21

Location: Redwood Valley, Nor*Cal (97--)/Pocatello,ID (90-97)/SoCal Born&Raised(71-90)
I'm not sure if this is the right way to point you in the right direction, but I copied the following:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/106600-k-7-high-is...ml#post1097828
Thank you very much GoldenRguy!
05-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The sad thing in that thread is that ISO800 is the "high" ISO in the example. That says a lot about that camera, so don't anyone get their hopes up about clean 3200 files out of a K-7...

05-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The sad thing in that thread is that ISO800 is the "high" ISO in the example. That says a lot about that camera, so don't anyone get their hopes up about clean 3200 files out of a K-7...
I'm happy with it, and I don't plan on doing a lot of low light photos anyway, so I'm set Maybe I'll move on up eventually, but for now I'm content to make the best out of what I think is a fine camera, and I bet every camera, even the high end ones are being derided, somewhere

Edit-I am also a beginning SLR guy, so this camera will keep me busy learning for a while
05-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #24

So true!!
05-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #25

Original Poster
My K-7 got shipped today! Eager to get it and shoot!

My next step will need to clean up my lenses ^_^
05-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
My K-7 got shipped today! Eager to get it and shoot!

My next step will need to clean up my lenses ^_^
Congrats, you will love it!
05-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #27

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I said a month ago:

04-15-2011, 02:21 AM (Unread!)
Replies: 49 Used the TAv mode today - cool!
Views: 5,050 Posted By georgecape
TAv and my K7

I find the many references to K7's lowly ISO output quite unfair and dont want to start a debate (there are many) but I know that I luv to use TAv and watch the ISO run to 3200 from the corner of my eye, with a bit of trepidation, only to be sooo pleased with the result. My K7 is simply a joy at all times and situations and I am still after 5yrs with digital amazed at the PP possibilities.

This was taken on the spur of the moment without setting anything thks to TAv.

1/80 f3.5 ISO 2500 DA 40
Attached Images

05-25-2011, 05:01 AM   #28

That is a great shot! This camera can do a lot, it's too bad more don't give it a chance.
05-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by georgecape Quote
04-15-2011, 02:21 AM (Unread!)
Replies: 49 Used the TAv mode today - cool!
Views: 5,050 Posted By georgecape
TAv and my K7

I find the many references to K7's lowly ISO output quite unfair and dont want to start a debate (there are many) but I know that I luv to use TAv and watch the ISO run to 3200 from the corner of my eye, with a bit of trepidation, only to be sooo pleased with the result. My K7 is simply a joy at all times and situations and I am still after 5yrs with digital amazed at the PP possibilities.

This was taken on the spur of the moment without setting anything thks to TAv.

1/80 f3.5 ISO 2500 DA 40
So do you have to leave the ISO at 100-3200 all the time? Did you use NR software on this?
I love my K& too!!
05-26-2011, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #30

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Goldenguy,
with TAv I luv to play with aperture and speed and ISO sets itself and I see the manual says AUTO sensitivity only, so yes between 100-3200 - no settable max but I adjust the speed normally down if I'am looking for a lower ISO - sometimes I maintain a lower ISO (2500 max) and sometimes I just concentrate on as large an aperture and slowest speed I can get away with - but I am gaining in confidence with 3200!

I use Lightroom but cant remember if I used its NR function - I seldom if ever make NR adjustments - simple lack of experience. I have also improved my exposure by dialling in + 2/3 of a stop since my first few months everything was just too dark - now even my flash shots at parties are about 99% actually quite good - its the expose to the right lesson I suppose.

Hope this helps.
G