Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Am I wrong? Waiting for my K-7 to arrive.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I just bought an used K-7 from market place to replace my broken K-x. Then I found many complains about K-7 in low light performance. I know there are many discussions about this but it there any respectable place to tell me the truth? I'm not quite picky regarding the noise but I do can tell them.

Based on my observation, pentax always having problems with high IOS performace maybe except K-5. So why people crying so much about K-7?

Also based on my K-x experience, the high ISO doesn't seem to be noisy but there lacks of color. So I still have to keep the iso low to get satisfied colors.

Tkx,
Ben

05-23-2011, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I moved from the K-x to the K-7, and I did notice that the K-7 is noisier. But I also preferred the K-7's color and contrast. The K-7 is a good camera, and is better than the K-x in many ways. Unless you do lots of high-ISO photography (what you consider high ISO depends on your own preferences), you will be quite happy with the K-7.

You can compare noise between different camera bodies at this site:
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" Digital Camera Image Comparison Page
05-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a K20D, which is about 1 stop worse than the K7 for noise from what I read, and I have a K-x as well. I will say that I don't like to shoot higher than ISO 280 with the K20D because of noise/grain. I find that the K-x is great for low light (ISO 3200 works so nicely), and the K20D is great for outdoor shooting and indoor portraits with flash. I'd recommend to get the K-x repaired and keep both (they are both useful).
05-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-7 is definitely noisier than the K-x. But I'm not sure where you got the idea that Pentax camera are nosier than the competition in general. The K-5, K-x, K20D, and the original 6MP cameras were *all* among the class leaders in that department.

05-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by icywindow Quote
I have a K20D, which is about 1 stop worse than the K7 for noise from what I read
??? You have it backwards - the K-7 is worse than the K20D, although not by a full stop.

QuoteQuote:
I will say that I don't like to shoot higher than ISO 280 with the K20D because of noise/grain.
Either your camera is defective, or you are the most demanding person I have ever seen. Can you actually see the noise at ISO 400 in anything except a 100% full screen view? And can't NR take care of that?
05-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I notice some noise with my K-7 above !SO 200. It is easily remedied with any of the available noise reduction software. I have tried Noiseware, Topaz Denoise 5 and NIK Define 2.0 and all do a good job. Noise reduction is just one additional step in my workflow - takes no more than 1 minute.
05-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
??? You have it backwards - the K-7 is worse than the K20D, although not by a full stop.
Pardon me, I had misread. And I suppose I should look into some noise reduction software. I stand corrected.
05-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I notice some noise with my K-7 above !SO 200. It is easily remedied with any of the available noise reduction software
Largely agree, although I do set my ISO ceiling at 800. As you say, shots above 200 ISO (right up to 800, I find) are still easily recoverable with PP; I use Lightroom 3 and it easily eliminates all the noise in such images without any substantial loss of critical detail.

I have never owned a K-x/K-r, but I tried a couple of each in-store. The feel of the camera in hand is dramatically different to the K-7, which is perfectly balanced and exudes quality. The sound of the shutter on the K-x/r was positively mechanical compared to the silky, liquid sound of the K-7.

05-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
Guys,

What's the general procedure for you to get a cleaner less noise image from K-7. I mean camera settings, raw or jpeg, PP etc.

And any recommendations for K-x repair job?

^_^
05-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

RAW is always preferable to JPEG for quality. And if you shoot RAW, no other NR settings matter. Then it's just a matter of figuring our the NR controls in whatever RAW processing software you use. The specific settings in that software that are best will depend on the specific image and your personal taste - how much detail you're willing to sacrifice.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 05-23-2011 at 07:05 PM.
05-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #11

Original Poster
Marc, then how about the pentax's raw conversion software? Is it a good one to use then the lightroom?
05-23-2011, 03:22 PM - 3 Likes   #12

I have a K7 and have complained about noise in low light, but after reading a zillion posts, have changed my mind. I love the K7 compared to my K100D. The sound and feel makes me "feel" like a pro. One thing I gleaned for the zillion posts, is that this camera is a Pro-sumer camera. It's not a point and shoot. I have been reading and reading and have found that if you understand how the camera works with light and exposure and after a lot of practice ,am starting to figure it out. Adam posted a high ISO fix that works quite well. Just do a quick search.
Love your K7! I do!! Play with it a lot!!
05-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
What's the general procedure for you to get a cleaner less noise image from K-7
Lots of good advice out there, especially capturing RAW images for maximum opportunity to rectify issues with PP.

On the K-7, you can set your upper and lower bounds for ISO; mine is set from 100-800 ISO. This means that when metering a shot, the camera will not exceed ISO 800. E.g. When shooting TAv (shutter and aperture priority), if you were to select 1/200 F8.0 and the camera determine that there was not sufficient light to capture the image without under-exposure, it "flashes" the ISO 800 in the viewfinder(s) to alert you to the fact. You then have a choice to reduce shutter speed, increase aperture etc.

Bottom line is that you'll need to find a noise level that is satisfactory to you and your type of shooting, and then work within those bounds. As I say, for me, I find that 800 is workable for most shots. Of course, there are times when I want to reduce the ISO, say for an important shot, and you just press the ISO button on top of the camera and change it down accordingly; the controls on the K-7 make all of this painless and intuitive.

I think the "process" is largely understanding what makes "good exposure", how your camera handles different lighting situations and finally, what is acceptable to you in terms of a finished product (photo).

The LR3 noise reduction seems particularly good to me, making me much more confident about using ISO 800. Unfortunately, I am sufficiently new to PP to not be able to tell you if it's "the best" or at least better than other solutions out there.
05-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Enjoy your camera. If you don't like it, sell it and move on. As for useability, Here's a year worth from mine.

Pentax K7 - a set on Flickr

05-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Just take photos. See strengths and weakness. I would second using lightroom for developing and noise reduction purposes. If you want a dedicated noise reduction program, topaz seems to be about the best.

You should be able to shoot to iso 1600 without too much problem -- maybe iso 3200 if you don't plan to print very big. I just got a K5, but will keep the K7 as a back up.

The only negative about the K7 is the sensor, which was truthfully about the same as the K20. The thing is that when the K20 was released, it was equivalent in RAW shooting to the D300 and D50 that it was competing against. Its just that when the K7 was released, Nikon released the D90 shortly after and then came the Canon 7D, both of which do considerably better at dynamic range and high iso than the K7 does.