Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help!! I have Pentax envy!!! And questions

Hey folks, I cut my teeth on a beloved K1000, but had to sell it to pay rent.(or get evicted) When I went digital the istD was too expensive and I ended up with a D70. Great camera but now I find myself lusting after a K100D or the K10D. I treied the DL in a store a while ago and loved the feel and the viewfinder was way better than the D70 and the SR would benefit my shooting style.

I just have a few questions about these cameras.

How many shots would you get from a set if AA's or rechargeables on the k100? Does SR work well with off brand lenses? (I am thinking of getting a Sigma 18-125 as a walk around) How big are Pentax Raw files?

And finally, can I post D70 pictures here until the camera dies and I go back hometo Pentax?

09-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

welcome (back)

Glad you're coming to your senses!

I have a DL rather than a K100, so I'm no help with your questions, but I'm sure there are others here who can answer them. I just wanted to say welcome, and that you got a good start with that K1000. When you come back into the fold, I'm sure you'll be very happy with whatever new Pentax you choose. Happy shooting!

Julie
09-13-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
How many shots would you get from a set if AA's or rechargeables on the k100?
400 ish

QuoteQuote:
Does SR work well with off brand lenses?
YES

QuoteQuote:
How big are Pentax Raw files?
10MB
09-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I can answer some of your questions

QuoteOriginally posted by arbutusq Quote
Hey folks, I cut my teeth on a beloved K1000, but had to sell it to pay rent.(or get evicted) When I went digital the istD was too expensive and I ended up with a D70. Great camera but now I find myself lusting after a K100D or the K10D. I treied the DL in a store a while ago and loved the feel and the viewfinder was way better than the D70 and the SR would benefit my shooting style.

I just have a few questions about these cameras.

How many shots would you get from a set if AA's or rechargeables on the k100? Does SR work well with off brand lenses? (I am thinking of getting a Sigma 18-125 as a walk around) How big are Pentax Raw files?

And finally, can I post D70 pictures here until the camera dies and I go back hometo Pentax?
I have DSs and regularly get 1000+ shots from a set of AA Lithiums. Rarely useing the on board flash, but with a fair amount of "chimping". The K100 should be similar.

In theory, any lens that communicates the FL to the camera body will work fine with the SR. That would include the Sigma you are considering.

My raw files are about 10.5 mb. K100 should be about the same.

As to D70 pics, I have no objections, but I also have no authority :-)

09-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #5

Withe my new K100D

I got about 200 pictures with the AA batteries that came with the camera. Lithium AA batteries (about $10 US in the stores) have been reported to get close to 1,000. I am now trying some CRV3 batteries and am about 700 pictures into them and no end in sight. I have some rechargable AA batteries that lasted about 150 shots on their first charge

Some raw files I took ranged from 9.5MB to just over 10MB

SR works with any lens. I just got a Tamron 28-300 and it works especially well out to 300mm. I took this picture in low light, handheld, 1/15sec, ISO200 in a shady creek.

http://static.flickr.com/85/243604707_d8145fc943.jpg
09-15-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsundin Quote
Withe my new K100D

I got about 200 pictures with the AA batteries that came with the camera. Lithium AA batteries (about $10 US in the stores) have been reported to get close to 1,000. I am now trying some CRV3 batteries and am about 700 pictures into them and no end in sight. I have some rechargable AA batteries that lasted about 150 shots on their first charge
150 shots for rechargeable AA? That doesn't sound quite right. I have been using 2400aAh Ni-MH ever since I used up the CRV3 that came with the camera and I have been getting 500+ shots with them. Just checked numbers, I have done 439 photos since last time I charged the batteries and it is still showing up full =)

cheers
Kenny
09-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
THanks all. I have to say that the battery performance is a bit disappointing. I regularly get 1500-2000 shots from my Nikon on one charge. Oh well, AA's are cheap.

Jsundin that is a great demo of SR. I don't have the money for any Nikon VR lenses. (I could get the K100D and most of the lenses I'd need for the price of the 70-200VR)

If my D70 wasn't so battered and hard used I'd put it up on eBay now and get a K100.