Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #1

AF360 questions

I decide to fit my new K10D with the AF360 flash. Obviously I am doing something wrong since it is not as good as the on-camera flash in general use. Everything is considerably darker and vignetted with the AG360. I have played with the flash and camera exposure compensation to no avail. I have been through the AF360 manual page by page and tried about everything that can be adjusted.

What am I doing wrong? Help!!

12-14-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm. I have that flash but it is in the shop after a drop onto concrete. I used it with my *istD with great success. Right now I am using the 540 with my K10. I will say that Pentax does seem to lean towards uder-exposure with flash shots and I tend to set the exposure comp up a little bit. If your shots are too dark there is another problem. Vignetting also should not happen, but I never shoot direct flash so I can't offer personal experience.
12-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Ed in GA

I have an AF360 Also.

My wife just gave me an AF360 for my Birthday. So far, I have used it only in the "AutoPic" mode. Mine seems to be doing quite well.

I am, however, using mine with the K100D.

My problem is, I'm not very smart when it comes to reading and understanding instructions. Therefore, when I'm ready to start using it in other modes, it's going to be quite a challenge.

What focal length are you trying to use? If it is a wide angle shot, you might want to use the built in "wide angle" lense.

QuoteOriginally posted by olc Quote
I decide to fit my new K10D with the AF360 flash. Obviously I am doing something wrong since it is not as good as the on-camera flash in general use. Everything is considerably darker and vignetted with the AG360. I have played with the flash and camera exposure compensation to no avail. I have been through the AF360 manual page by page and tried about everything that can be adjusted.

What am I doing wrong? Help!!

Last edited by Ed in GA; 12-14-2006 at 11:48 AM.
12-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Samples plus settings; might start from cold starting the flash--Set to green mode it comes up P-TTL. You might also confirm that the flash zooms and it's power steps do actually seem different in manual mode-this may be as simple as popping 1/1 then 1/32 and noting that the light cuts off fairly quickly.

In another thread I suggested that on-camera flash might be (is) easy to fool and that I knew something about how to accomplish this task. Here's the fundamental problem with TTL automation: it's not smart! It works entirely off the camera's metering and some generic algorithms. And it seems that individual units can have significant variations. Just off the cuff I mounted my 360 on my K10/24mm lens//all green mode and snapped a few in the vicinity of my computer---over-exposed!

Here's what you need to understand your unit: some small objects, like toy soldiers or building blocks or stuffed animals. A plain background (several colors help) and a table-top---not black and white. Batteries, a notebook, the manual, flash and camera.

Start with neutral settings and begin clicking. Soon you will know just how sensitive the AF and AE features are in your camera and how the flash responds.

Ain't automation wonderful?

12-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
This site is all about flash photography with a great tutorial section - might help with some ideas for you.
12-14-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Similar question had been asked on DPreview and it seems my suggestion had helped. I posted two answers, both may be of interest to you:

Underexposure with 360 FGZ: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Regarding the vignetting: if you are using your flash with DA16-45 then 16mm to 20mm range may be too wide for the flash auto zoom. In that case pull out wide angle diffuser on the flash or use ceiling bounce and it should work fine.