Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-7 & Marshall V-LCD50 Field Monitor

Is anyone aware of a compatibility issue between these two?

I just spent a lot of notes on this Marshall 5" monitor, and I can't seem to get any signal through.

I've tested my K-7 on a large LG HDMI screen with the same cable and it works fine. So to me that says the HDMI out on my cam is fine.

I've tested the monitor with a different HDMI cable on my laptop and that works fine too. So to me that says the monitor is fine too. It does use a different cable (HDMI male to male rather than HDMI male to mini, but that's because the K-7 has large to mini whereas the laptop is large to large)

Bit stumped here - anyone have this rig working? Any special settings I need to use? When I connect it to TV it just works, with the screen I just get no input.

05-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-7 & Marshall V-LCD50 Field Monitor

I did have a problem with a M-LCD7-HDMI MONITOR (MARSHALL). We checked everything, the battery, plugin one that works in the one that didn't work but no signal. After a lot of testings, they finally replace the monitor with a new one (Lozeau in Montreal). Hope this help.
GB
05-24-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Three quick questions if I may:

1) Was this with a K-7?
1) Were you connecting through HDMI or was it through composite?
2) Did you get it to work in the end?

I'm SO gutted, as I think I've worked out the problem. The HDMI monitor has to be high-def, I think, for K-7 (1024×768).
05-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no, you can set the K-7 to 480P which should work with the 800X480 resolution of the monitor itself. I know guys that use this particular monitor with 5D MK II's without issue. Besides the processing overhead for the K7 to transmit 1080i is far to great for PrimeII to handle so it down samples the output a bit.

the HDMI output controls for the K-7 are located in the camera hardware settings page, just underneath the Video settings, you should find an option "HDMI Out" that allows you to set 1080i,720P, and 480P - I would suggest trying the 480P option.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-24-2011 at 06:39 AM.
05-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Digitalis, Hello

Thanks -- I tried these controls first - my K-7 has auto, 1080i, 720P, and 576P, none of them make a difference =(.

Update on this via Pentax technical support, NTSC's lowest setting is 480, PAL's is 576

Last edited by Nass; 05-24-2011 at 08:42 AM.
05-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
Banned

I don't know this filedmonitor, since I have a different brand. Setting to PAL (or NTSC) and the fieldmonitor the same should help I think. I've set my K-5 to PAL and 1080i, but used it just shortly with K-7. I did use K-7 on my TV-screen.

Made a video about it:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/123130-hd...d-monitor.html

The solution to my problem was setting the fieldmonitor different to 4:3 setting, but then ending with black sidebars and a 5,6" screen.
05-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahhh - Ron, you're the mystery man whose youTube video inspired me =).

This monitor doesn't have an option to set PAL/NTSC although the EMEA Marshall man doesn't think that's an issue. I've tried every ratio and setting in the book, result is sadly nothing =(.

Still stumped.

I guess nobody else has tried this Marshall V-LCD50 with a Pentax?

05-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Ahhh - Ron, you're the mystery man whose youTube video inspired me =).

This monitor doesn't have an option to set PAL/NTSC although the EMEA Marshall man doesn't think that's an issue. I've tried every ratio and setting in the book, result is sadly nothing =(.

Still stumped.

I guess nobody else has tried this Marshall V-LCD50 with a Pentax?
That is to sad. Send it back or isn't that an option?
05-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Hi Nass,
I have the V-LCD50 and have the same problem with my K-5. The monitor works fine with a friend's Nikon D90, the K-5 outputs to my computer monitor (Alienware OptX AW2310) OK, but the V-LCD50 and K-5 refuse to talk to each other. I emailed Marshall and was advised to try different cables, but after 3 cables tested still no joy. Now they asked me to get info from Pentax on the HDMI specs, no reply yet from my local support (CR Kennedy - Australia). I have to say it doesn't look very promising. I will update if learnt anything useful.
05-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello Ozjac,

I have returned my monitor - I do not believe there is a fix at present. This is due to a V-LCD50 HDMI implementation issue that needs to be examined back at the factory. When and if this is resolved by a technical update I shall report back. According to Marshall, besides me and you there is also apparently a case in the USA with a K-5 that has exactly the same problem.

Shame =(
05-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Hi Nass,

Thanks for the update. I found another case on the web with a K-7:
Field monitors with K-7 - Photo.net Pentax Forum
There must be some more frustrated people around we don't know of - Marshall (and distributors) should put the Pentax K-5-7 incompatibility in the monitor's profile. I will approach my distributor to see if I can return mine. Do you have something from Marshall to help me make the case that it is a Marshall issue? I would appreciate your help. Do you think it is a unique issue - I would hate to get a different monitor with the same problem. Are you looking for one?
Cheers
05-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello Ozjac,

The photo.net post was me, as was the dpreview one. I was covering all the bases =). I'll forward on a mail that I got sent by the UK Marshall person which should help your case but between him and having spoken to our member Falconeye there isn't a chance in hell that any of the 5" V-LCD50 will work without a fix to this particular model's HDMI implementation issue.

Marshall's next model range up, the V-LCD70XP-HDMIPT, was suggested to me as an alternative by Marshall, but I've found something else that I think is a more sensible choice since I'm being forced to upgrade anyway. In any case, that V-LCD70XP-HDMIPT is also 640*480 so whether it'd actually work isn't something I'm 100% convinced of. The Marshall models with a higher resolution that ARE certain to work from the resolution perspective come in at around 400% of the cost of the LCD50 which is a good 200% more than the budget that I'm prepared to spend on it =).

If you can wait a week, the product that I'm literally ordering today pending a further discussion with a gentleman there is this DP6 smallhd monitor. It has 1280*800 resolution, all the usual peaking etc functions but more interestingly also has a USB port with programme of firmware upgrades. So it's future proof which appeals strongly to me given the spend on the item. I should be able to confirm yae or nay if it does the job within a week or so.

I know that a lot of PF members have a field monitor on their wishlist and once I have received it and played about with it I'll do a review of it for this site.

Last edited by Nass; 05-27-2011 at 12:28 AM.
05-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
Banned

Wow that DP6 is a good thing but expensive. They have a solution for working with Canon and resizing the 16:9 into 4:3 ratio but no idea if this also works with Pentax.