Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A fool and his money....

... especially when a sever lack of will power is involved.

So I've helping a mate try and find a K20d within a certain budget with not much joy.
Then the other night I spotted a K-7 on eBay for (at that time in the auction) reasonable coin.
So my mate said he'd buy the GX20 should I win the auction.
I set myself a budget and settled in for an evening of watching that damn count-down tick over.
In the end I won, and under budget.
So I managed to score a K-7, flash (a rubbish one, but hey), a 28-90 Sigma Macro, and a 18-55 WR Kit lens - and all up the 'change over' price was less than $150AU.
Kinda happy with that.

05-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll bet you that was not the big plan off the one who was selling his gear at ebay
05-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Lucky you ^_^

I was looking at a $300 K10D but end up with a $600 K-7 body only. Wish all the best to you. Beat the K7 up!
05-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Crikey!!! Good win.

Moral is "Don't bundle" sales.

05-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Why is that the moral? A seller who is not compelled to sell would not have sold at a price he considered too low, a buyer who is not compelled to buy would not have paid a price he considered too high. Both sides win. That's how the free market works.
05-25-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Good deal!!!!
05-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Crikey!!! Good win.

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Why is that the moral? A seller who is not compelled to sell would not have sold at a price he considered too low, a buyer who is not compelled to buy would not have paid a price he considered too high. Both sides win. That's how the free market works.
I think what cmohr is trying to say is that selling things in a bundle, like a body and several lenses, will almost always net you less money in the end than selling the items individually. Granted it's slightly less work for the seller, but in terms of how much you net, it's almost certainly going to be less money. In this case the buyer may very well have ended up selling his kit for a price he considered to be far too low, and that's the risk you take when you create an auction on ebay without a reserve price and/or a low starting price.
05-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

E Bay is such an odd place. Most pentax stuff seems to be vastly over priced, but occasionally deals slip through (usually seems to be on lenses packaged with bodies). Anyway, congrats on the new camera and happy shooting!

05-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Not bad mate. Congrats on the K-7, which I'm sure you'll notice the difference quite quickly, both in performance and in user interface.
05-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I think what cmohr is trying to say is that selling things in a bundle, like a body and several lenses, will almost always net you less money in the end than selling the items individually. Granted it's slightly less work for the seller, but in terms of how much you net, it's almost certainly going to be less money. In this case the buyer may very well have ended up selling his kit for a price he considered to be far too low, and that's the risk you take when you create an auction on ebay without a reserve price and/or a low starting price.

Thats right, plus, some people do feel compelled to sell on ebay, even for 099c if thats what the bidding ends at, and really if they didnt put a starting price or reserve there, the end bid is the price. Yes, a lot of sellers just reject the deal from the winner after the auction and relist, but its a bit underhanded in my mind, so Good on the Seller for having the conviction to accept the low price for his listing, and not do the "dirty" on the buyer. Quite upstanding.

I love my K-7, massive step up from my old first model istD*.
I'm sure you'll love it too.

Cmohr
05-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm jealous!
You're going to make me look for those kind of deals now!
Congrats and enjoy!
05-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For further kudos to the seller, it was listed as 'pick up only' - so I was going to organise a mate to pick it up (it was 3hrs away in Sydney). However because I was so prompt with payment and communication, he happily said he'd courier it down to me and would goes halves in the courier cost. Bonus!
05-26-2011, 12:44 AM   #13
hcc
Pentaxian

Well done mate. You will enjoy your K-7. A great camera.
05-26-2011, 01:38 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
If you think that both sides always win in a free market, you've not been keeping up with current events.
05-26-2011, 03:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by midori Quote
If you think that both sides always win in a free market, you've not been keeping up with current events.
If you think that, you don't understand what a free market is.