Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #16

Wired version?

Hi, I was looking for something very similar and came across this wonderful thread. Actually, I own a Canon DSLR, and was hoping something like this was available for Canon.

As said earlier, I also think it would be great if the app can work with a wired cable. I do dabble in electronics quite a bit, and I think this is definitely doable. On the software side, instead of the actual IR pulse train, just output a simple tone of say 1Kz, for about 10 ms. Then, drive a sensitive gate fet to effectively "short out" the required inputs on the camera.

A diode and capacitor might be needed to convert the audio frequency to a single broader pulse.

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

08-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #17

Original Poster
Well it seems that my knowledges in electronic are not sufficient to really understand what you explained...

But if you are still interested in the remote for Canon I think it is possible. Send me a PM and I can send you the app to try it out.
08-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #18

Just seen this.

Connecting a diode directly to such an audio output is insane and amateur's work, you have to match the expected impedance!

Don't trust this kind of makeshift circuit, especially if the diode voltage isn't specified.
08-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noahf Quote
Just seen this.

Connecting a diode directly to such an audio output is insane and amateur's work, you have to match the expected impedance!

Don't trust this kind of makeshift circuit, especially if the diode voltage isn't specified.
Ok... then how should this be done? What do you suggest? What do you mean by matching the impedance? What will happen if we do things this way? Will the diode explode? Will the phone become bricked?

Your statement isn't helpful without even the briefest of explanations.

08-26-2011, 12:22 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Noahf Quote
Just seen this.

Quite funny statement... Where have you seen it ?

On my opinion (based on my knowledge and not on some random comment) : the voltage and impedance delivered by the smartphones through the jack plug is really low !!! Plus if the voltage is too high the only risk is to burn the diode, not very harmful.

But thanks for your intervention
09-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #21

Original Poster
I can see on the stats of my website that many people are still downloading the app... But I don't see any comments

Please let some comment if you think the app the usefull (or not )
09-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #22

Sorry, I didnt visit this page for all these days and missed your reply.

I would love to try out the Canon version, if you could mail it to me at ardhuru@gmail.com.

The wired version would be fairly simple to make (in terms of hardware); what I would require from you would be an output of a continuous 1kHz (or 100 Hz, not sure which would work better at this stage) for about 100ms; the hardware would then drive a small FET to 'short' the required signal with ground. Trust me, not only would this make the project more robust and reliable, it would be brand-unspecific, as the same app would work with any brand of DSLR that requires a pin to be grounded for shutter release.

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

09-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lepiallou Quote
I can see on the stats of my website that many people are still downloading the app... But I don't see any comments

Please let some comment if you think the app the usefull (or not )

Maybe they built the transmitter, connected it to their phone and shortcircuited the phone. Too embarrassed to comment...

My wife has an Android phone. And I am an engneer by profession. But I prefer to sleep inside in the house.

Seb.
10-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
My wife has an Android phone. And I am an engneer by profession. But I prefer to sleep inside in the house.

Seb.
That can't be true if you were an engineer you'd have already broke her phone + your speelinh to good .
10-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #25
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
that's cool, though my Nokia N900 has an app for IR remote and has already has IR built onto it.
I'll tell my friend that has andoriods that maybe interested.
Thanks for the share =D
10-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #26

I bought 2 940nm LED's at a local store. $4.80 with tax. I already had the 3.5 mm audio cable. Less then 1/2 hour later cable was made, app downloaded and camera now fires remotely.

TYVM for the app and the link to the page on how to build the cable.

Only wish I have is an interval timer in the app so I could set it up to take picture at a preset time interval. The use would set the interval, i.e. from 3 seconds to 10 minutes and for as many intervals as required.

Thanks again.

Mort.
10-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #27

Original Poster
@ awaldram :

@ SaikouShadou : thanks for the support !!!

@ Mortimer : thanks for the feedback And actually yes I think it is possible to implement an interval timer in the app.

I was thinking about it and I already started the update... So keep reading this thread for some news
10-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #28

dougsinnott

Why arse about with a mobile phone,when you can buy a IR remote control for your Pentax on Ebay,for only a couple of pounds or so?
And it works perfectly!
10-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dougsinnott Quote
Why arse about with a mobile phone,when you can buy a IR remote control for your Pentax on Ebay,for only a couple of pounds or so?
And it works perfectly!
Time lapse.

Also, this 'engineer' guy is talking rubbish, the phone's audio output is normally high impedance (looking back into the phone's circuitry) and drives a low impedance load (normally headphones). Circuit matching is only really necessary at HF and higher where the wavelengths are short enough to form standing waves.

The diode alone will be fine, but connecting a resistor in series as well will lower the current.
10-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #30

Original Poster
updating with Time lapse feature...

Any feedback is always welcome