Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 02:01 PM - 5 Likes   #1

Android remote to shoot Pentax camera with TIME LAPSE

UPDATE 10/24/2011: I added a time lapse feature to the app ... Enjoy

I guess that most of you already heard about transforming your iPhone into a remote controler for DSLR. So here is the application to do the same with any android phone.
This can work with any Pentax DSLR using IR for remote control.

I used the ideas and thread started by piesforyou here : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/131633-absurdly-simple-diy-k-x-remote-timer-using-mp3-player.html

And as I couldn't find the application allowing to shoot my K-x I developed it for my HTC Desire

This application allows to do simple shot, time lapse, long exposure shot (using the bulb mode) and makes it easier to calculate the time to have a correct exposition in bulb mode.

So the first screen is to release the trigger a single time, using the exposition parameters of the camera. Easy press the "shoot" button :

The second screen is used for time lapse. Easy to use, choose the time between each shot (from 1sec to 99 minutes) and select the number of pictures to take (from 10 to 1000).

The third sreen allows the long exposure using the bulb mode. The principle is simple : a signal is sent to open the shutter and a second signal after the choosen time to close it :

The third screen is used to calculate the correct exposure time in the bulb mode. To do so enter the paramteres given by your camera, using the biggest diaphragme aperture and the highest iso and select the aperture and iso you want to use for your final picture and press calculate.

Finaly the last screen is giving some small explanation on how to use but will probably change to some new feature (when I find some interesting one)...

I tried to improve the sound quality and level to get a better range of shooting.
But if you are in Europe this might not work. Simply because of the sound limitation of your phone. To remove this limitation there are some applications on the market... For me it works fine (HTC Desire)

Any comment or recommendation considering this application is always welcome. And if you have any idea of some more features that could be usefull share it and I will see what I can do...

You can find the .apk here

Last edited by lepiallou; 01-25-2012 at 04:55 AM. Reason: adding time lapse feature to the app
05-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you need some kind of IR dongle for your phone to make this work? I'm a bit unclear on how the phone communicates with the camera.
05-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #3

any headphone jack or something?
05-24-2011, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Yes, but this kind of dongle is easy to built as it is using only two IR leds (940nm wavelengh) and a mini jack adaptator...

But all this is explained in the thread writen by piesforyou here

05-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Neat idea.
05-25-2011, 05:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Good job!!!
06-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
New version with better range uploaded.

If you have any comment about this app please share !!!

06-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by lepiallou Quote
I guess that most of you already heard about transforming your iPhone into a remote controler for DSLR. So here is the application to do the same with any android phone. This can work with any Pentax DSLR using IR for remote control.
I have yet to see anything that works with Pentax for the iphone, did I miss it? Do you know the name of the app?
06-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
The DSLR.bot app is working with Pentax on iPhone...
06-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #10

Original Poster
This app is still working

If you have any comment please share !
07-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #11
Banned

Great stuff!
07-25-2011, 02:27 AM   #12

Original Poster
@javier.esse : this app looks nice!

But the biggest advantage of the one I propose is to be free of charge
07-25-2011, 03:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will these apps work with mini jack to mini jack? I'm thinking about the input to K10D shutter release...
07-25-2011, 04:12 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
Will these apps work with mini jack to mini jack? I'm thinking about the input to K10D shutter release...
As you can see on Remote pictures: DIY IRmitter | PhotoIRmote
This one used IR LEDs, plugged in earphone jack of android device. And it will works via standard IR receiver of camera.
07-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #15

Original Poster
Not sure it is possible to use this app as wire release...

The remote control is not sending any signal to the camera, it only short-circuits the wires together. And this is (as far as I know) not possible to do this a phone because it is only able to send signal but not short-circuit.
Then maybe the signal sent by the camera in the remote could be copied to the phone, but to do so someone should use a oscillometer to extract the camera's signal...

If anyone has some idea on how to do then it can be easy to code.

(not sure my message was really clear )