Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
How to clean ?salt? out of the shutter release button?

I took my Pentax K7 out in my kayak in the bay. I got some limited splash on it which did not appear to impact anything.

However, since then, my shutter release button sort of sticks half depressed... and the on/off switch is a bit more difficult to turn than it should be...

How would you suggest cleaning this beyond sending it in for a repair?

Thanks,

Javaslinger

05-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Luckily, you have a K-7, which can withstand a decent washing under the sink. Observe. Watch it all the y to the end.

*Disclaimer* Don't blame me if by some freak accident this does in your camera. But it should be able to more than take it. Many time's I've washed my K10, K20, K-7 and K-5's under a gentle flow of tap water. Helps with salt water for sure.
05-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gentle! rinse with the kitchen sink sprayer might do it.
Took care of spilled chocolate-milk on my K7.
05-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Gentle! rinse with the kitchen sink sprayer might do it.
Took care of spilled chocolate-milk on my K7.
I'll point out that not all kitchen-sink sprayers are capable of 'gentle.' Mine's actually good for washing pots, but it has *recoil.*

05-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Diluted alchohol/Spirit might help.
05-25-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'll point out that not all kitchen-sink sprayers are capable of 'gentle.' Mine's actually good for washing pots, but it has *recoil.*
True! And even most sinks at low pressure have quite a bit of weight behind that water. Thanks for reminding me. What I usually do is fill a cup from the tap, then I can pour is much more gently on the camera over the sink.
05-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter

You should be able to regulate the sprayer "force" by running the tap simultaneously. At least in a house-hold sink, don't know about commercial ones.
Yeah, recoiling is not desirable in this case.
05-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
You should be able to regulate the sprayer "force" by running the tap simultaneously. At least in a house-hold sink, don't know about commercial ones.
Yeah, recoiling is not desirable in this case.
True 'nuff: what we have here has some kind of special valve to it that actually gives you a pretty high-pressure stream, (Useful, actually, but makes kind of a big 'thunk' when you depress the sprayer, and it's either on full blast or off. )

05-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Just use water

If it is really salt in the release, it should dissolve in plain water. Maybe you have some sand in there. If you do you might try gently using a soft toothbrush to dislodge it.