Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
hmm im glad i read this thread, as i was also concerned about the static 'wuuurrrrring' noise on long exposures, lol.. now i can rest easy, cheers guys

11-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
Well not when you consider that the K100D Super cleaning mode purposely shakes the sensor to clean it. But it's odd that sensor shaking occurs on the K100D (ie not Super).

As I said, I mentioned this on another forum, and pointed out that the K100D manual does not mention shaking the sensor in cleaning mode, but I still got a pile of patronising answers telling me just what I had told them: that the K100D manual says that it does not have sensor shake cleaning mode.

Even if the K100D has a sensor shake cleaning mode by accident, it lacks the sticky pad that apparently other cameras have to catch the dust that's shaken off.
I also was under the impression that the K100D (non-Super) shook its sensor when cleaning - kind of inferred in the manual - please see page 189 of the K100D manual (Download Manual) -

Others did point out to me (and I agree) that the manual does NOT specifically say that the SR mechanism is used for cleaning.

However like others I tried the cleaning cycle with SR turned off, and could still hear the shaking noise........

Please see Posts #10, #11, #12 and #13 in the thread -
help with choosing first lens for k100d!plus question about super!

When cleaning the sensor I hold the camera so that the lens mount opening is facing downwards,
so that if dust is shaken off it falls down and out......

I have only had the occassion to clean my sensor once - and I did it without using a blower -
so either I was lucky - or the sensor shook the dust (which was visible in photos) off.

I cannot say conclusively whether the non-Super K100D uses the SR mechamism to shake dust off during cleaning -
the only certain thing I can say is that the SR mechanism does make a continuous noise during the cleaning cycle - even when the SR is switched off.
11-18-2007, 08:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
I also was under the impression that the K100D (non-Super) shook its sensor when cleaning - kind of inferred in the manual - please see page 189 of the K100D manual
Thanks, that clears that up. It *does* sort of say that the sensor will shake.

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
When cleaning the sensor I hold the camera so that the lens mount opening is facing downwards,
so that if dust is shaken off it falls down and out......
Thanks. In future, this is what I will do as a first resort. I would prefer to do as little as possible to the sensor, and allowing gravity to gently 'pull' the dust off seems like a good start.

Richard