Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
any stories of k-x failure from weather?

I've often bemoaned shifting from k-7 to k-x in part for lack of weather seals. On the other hand, I have never heard anyone say their k-x failed for lack of seals - owners are probably just more cautious outside, but interesting anyway. Has anyone here had a k-x failure after wet weather (dunkings not included), or heard any stories that ring true?

For me, the sensor upgrade has justified 'losing' features that mostly now reside in the menu system.

Thanks!

05-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I just splashed my K-x with A 50/1.7 really well on Saturday, while at a wedding, with mineral water. It was all over the flash shoe, in-built flash and also on the top of the lens, I wiped and shaked off any water I could see - there was a lot of it around the built-in flash
The camera worked fine all evening and is working, the lens does not show any sign that water got inside...maybe I was lucky
On the other hand, I never got it wet outdoors and I shoot out a lot, but also take great care not to wet my photo stuff

Last edited by stanic; 05-25-2011 at 11:21 AM.
05-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i already shot under a very small rain, with a Tak A 28mm f2.8, it had no consequences. I've dried it well when i was at home, near a radiator, and a year after that i have no problem, and no fungus.
05-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take my new baby out in the damp and deliberately get it wet?

Surely you jest!

Actually it rains abruptly here sometimes and you can get soaked no matter what you do. I have a rain poncho cover I improvised for shooting under that I carry along just in case. I usually will also carry my distressed leather pack if the weather folks even hints at rain and I am going to be out all day. That's pretty much waterproof and I spray it once in a while with water repellant to keep it that way. My similar hat and my similar leather jacket get a spray too. So do my trail boots.

People may shake their heads and smile at me because I walk around looking vaguely like a certain famous movie archeologist but as it happens I do like to stay dry, and so does my camera gear...

05-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I would not intentionally take my K-x out in pouring rain, I have got it a bit wet a couple times:
1. In the mountains - caught in rainstorm while shooting. Camera and Sigma 17-70 covered in droplets.
2. My camera pack is pretty good and it has water proof cover that stretches over it. However we were out walking on day for a few hours and it started to pour and pour. The cover worked BUT the water ran off the cover and down my back and gradually soaked into the back of the pack. When I got home my pack was very damp.

These were over a year ago and neither incident caused me any problems (Lens or camera). That said - I don't want to make a habit of it!
05-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I guess knowing it's not weather sealed makes people less likely to expose it to the kind of conditions a K7/5 owner would expose their camera to. That said I've had my K-x out in light rain, it's been splashed by a wave a few times, actually it's been used at the beach a lot. It keeps on trucking on though, 25k shots and counting.
05-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've taken my K-x out several times when it was raining, anything from misting to straight showers. Yesterday, the rain was coming down good when I was out with my FA50 f/1.4 w/ cheap hood and CPL, but I didn't experience any problems taking pictures. When I got back, I let it dry before I put it in its bag, which has the silica packet in it (great idea to keep them, don't throw them away), and it started up fine later when it was all dry. I know it's not WR-rated, but I feel as though it might stand up nicely in the water, especially if you take care to cover the mic input, as that always concerns me with water getting in there. Here are two shots from yesterday, out in the rain, both wide open:

05-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is all sensible info & good to hear. I have a large inside pocket and a small red terrycloth towel for when showers strike, so no reckless exposure to the elements & no issues when it has become a tad moist.